Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2014-02-17 21:54:19

els

Re: Best Host hosting companies

lgpiper wrote #278996:

Never mind. It was trivial, although the TxP instructions weren’t quite right. They said to create the DB first. By which I figured it would be ok to populate it with my back up as well. Nope. Just create a blank DB, let TxP populate with default stuff, then subsequently import my stuff into the DB.

You probably read the installation instructions. That is one way to move an existing setup: do a new installation first, then drop the newly created database tables and import your existing tables. The other way is described here: Moving Installation from one Host to Another.

And I think that “create the DB first” doesn’t say anything more than “just create a blank DB” ;)

#50 2014-02-17 22:10:57

bici
Website Mastodon

Els wrote #279040:

You probably read the installation instructions. That is one way to move an existing setup: do a new installation first, then drop the newly created database tables and import your existing tables. The other way is described here: Moving Installation from one Host to Another.

And I think that “create the DB first” doesn’t say anything more than “just create a blank DB” ;)

p.s. IS “Handling the Password” documentation still valid. I didn’t do that recently for any of the sites i moved from one server to the other

…. texted postive

#51 2014-02-17 22:28:29

els

bici wrote #279042:

p.s. IS “Handling the Password” documentation still valid. I didn’t do that recently for any of the sites i moved from one server to the other

I honestly don’t know. I have never needed to do that.

#52 2014-12-09 17:09:34

photonomad
Website

I’m looking for some host recommendations. Has anyone used Arvixe?

#53 2014-12-10 08:31:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

photonomad wrote #286377:

I’m looking for some host recommendations. Has anyone used Arvixe?

Disclaimer: I’m a paid article author for Arvixe.

Textpattern is available via a cPanel installer thingy (Softaculous, from memory – but don’t quote me on that) so getting up and going is a cinch. Arvixe are low-cost web hosting, as you likely already know – and are in the same league as other similar hosts for the price. You can get some money off your first invoice using coupon TEXTPATTERN or TP20. There’s a money-back guarantee, too.

Please consider this informational rather than sales pitch.

From a technical point of view, I recommend you take a look at the Arvixe forums to see the current situation with everything (availability, customer service and the like) – though bear in mind that people are less likely to post “hey, everything’s amazing – yay!” than, say, “hey, this needs fixing”.

#54 2014-12-11 00:28:09

jstubbs
Website

I’ve found Web Faction to be a very good web host, my sites have also had a 100% uptime in the last 2-3 months according to Pingdom.

#55 2014-12-11 04:30:24

bici
Website Mastodon

jstubbs wrote #286414:

I’ve found Web Faction to be a very good web host, my sites have also had a 100% uptime in the last 2-3 months according to Pingdom.

+1

…. texted postive

#56 2014-12-11 15:58:43

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Very interesting post ;)

I hesitate between WebFaction and SiteGround.
Which is the best one, guys?

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#57 2014-12-11 16:24:02

jakob
Admin
Website

I also use webfaction with one client and it has been solid all the way. The only shortcoming I’ve found up to now is that email users can’t set their own ‘out of office’ messages. That’s only available from the backend. It also has its own proprietary admin area (no cpanel or similar), I guess partly because you can set up different server setups (e.g. php, node, django…).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#58 2014-12-11 22:57:09

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #286444:

The only shortcoming I’ve found up to now is that email users can’t set their own ‘out of office’ messages.

One can setup an autoresponder via a script. but that is not a very elegant way for casual users.

Ideally one should be able to accomplish that via Roundcube or Horde (webmail) But I don’t see any settings for that.

Other than that Webfaction is a great worry free choice.

…. texted postive

#59 2014-12-12 09:44:04

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi bici, you’re right, it’s missing from Roundcube. I did ask Webfaction if they would consider adding an autoresponder module (there is an extension that already exists) but apparently it’s not a good fit for their email system. Have you realised the script solution? If so, I’d be interested in that.
In the past, I did investigate an API-based together with joebaich here on the forum but at the time not everything we needed was possible with the API and would have involved duplicate login/password handling and was not as straightforward to do as I had hoped.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#60 2014-12-15 07:43:50

bici
Website Mastodon

@jakob sorry for late reply. I have never tried the API script. I have never had anyone ask about setting up a vacation auto responder so never rid try it out

Hopefully one of the webmail apps will solve this issue. It webfaction will.

…. texted postive

Board footer