Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2014-10-31 00:11:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [UX] New installation default post and comment i18n

uli wrote #285277:

I just have a gut feeling that most people would like to be welcomed in their own language. That’s what I’d like to promote.

Perhaps you’re right. If we can come up with a way to localise the title, your method is the most viable unless we defer the article content to use textpack strings somehow like Pete suggested. If anyone has any good suggestions on how to do this for real, let’s hear ‘em.

@maverick. No, sorry. There are a couple of CMS solutions I need to check out for various ideas we might be able to pay homage to, and that was one of them. I’ll see if I can make time to check it out, thanks for the reminder.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2014-10-31 10:24:09

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

uli wrote #285277:

I just have a gut feeling that most people would like to be welcomed in their own language. That’s what I’d like to promote.

This. As a person with English as a primary language writing English for an audience with English as a first language, it’s disturbingly easy to overlook the multilingual aspect of the web.

#15 2014-10-31 10:44:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #285300:

This. As a person with English as a primary language writing English for an audience with English as a first language, it’s disturbingly easy to overlook the multilingual aspect of the web.

OK, you’re right. Let’s figure out how to solve the internationalisation of the Title and we can move forward.

One option (although slightly hatstand) would be to store the lang string name in the Title of the default post. e.g. welcome_to_your_site. The default template could then use:

<txp:text name='<txp:title />' />

and if we had a new string equivalent in the txp_lang table it’d render the title in the installed language. But it would look odd to have an underscored string as the title, especially as the first article also serves as a tutorial on how to work with Textpattern. It’s not exactly promoting bad practice, but unconventional practice, which might be slightly disconcerting for first-timers.

Any better ways to solve it?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2014-10-31 18:35:30

maverick
Website

Perhaps a poor quality suggestion. Is it possible move the content of the first article out of the database and then to load the intro article after the installation – after a default language is chosen?

Perhaps from an included xml file in the setup folder so it is easily deleted, or perhaps from a standing xml feed at textpattern.com or github?

Again, I’m sure those wiser than I will quickly see the flaws in this idea.

#17 2014-10-31 18:49:18

maverick
Website

Also allow along this line. Over the years I’ve tried various CMSes. I appreciate those that gave a choice between a clean install and one with default templates and example articles.

#18 2014-11-01 10:25:27

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

maverick wrote #285323:

Also allow along this line. Over the years I’ve tried various CMSes. I appreciate those that gave a choice between a clean install and one with default templates and example articles.

+1.

#19 2014-11-01 23:17:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maverick wrote #285322:

Is it possible move the content of the first article out of the database and then to load the intro article after the installation – after a default language is chosen?

Sounds great. The very first question asked at setup is the language, and it’s probably reasonable to assume that’s the language the user is most comfortable in and would therefore use by default. So when it comes to populating the database in the final step of the setup process, it could just grab the relevant article content from a file in the chosen language and insert that into the database instead of the content being hard-coded in txpsql.php. Job done.

That also lends itself to an option for an ‘empty’ installation. i.e. don’t populate the article at all. Not sure about the Templates as we do have some conventions on which things are built (Forms that cannot be deleted, etc) so a skeleton is kinda enforced at the moment. That means a true “clean slate” is unfortunately not possible without some hefty alterations to the notion of fixed Forms.

I like the include-article-number-1-from-file option actually. Can’t see any downsides as long as everything is escaped properly on input and the content is delivered in the distributed package (which is what we’re planning to do for everything soon anyway: help included).

I’ll chew this over and see if anyone can poke holes in it, but it’s my favourite suggestion so far, thanks.

#20 2014-11-02 15:36:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #285365:

I like the include-article-number-1-from-file option actually.

So, kinda-ish like my OP, then. I think this is a great idea, for what it’s worth.

Board footer