Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-10-06 10:57:56

candyman

Re: Better way to upload media

Great!
I like the robhert’s sketch. Is there a way to define the class before pasting the image?
Or, better: it would be possible to have the code changed while I drag the image in the text box?

e.g: I click on the image, drag it on the right and the align automatically change from “left” to “right”… :|

#14 2013-10-06 16:46:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Robhert

what happens if the image is already in the db? I think that this method will result in bloating sites with duplicates.

I do agree that there has to be a friendlier method of placing images in the write tab but I also think that the upload method we currently use might be slow and tedious but easy enough. Your method might be good to upload the images there (the gmail way) but i “foresee unforeseen problems” in using it to embed them.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2013-10-06 16:55:54

robhert
Website

Hi Yiannis! Thank you for your words.

what happens if the image is already in the db?

Well, I think there is a low porcentage of users who try to “illustrate an idea” using the same (width/height/weight) image and upload it to their DB.

Any way, may there be a “check image” like the “URL checker” who show when an article has the same name than other.

Last edited by robhert (2013-10-06 16:56:43)

#16 2013-10-12 09:08:43

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

FWIW – Smashing magazine has an (recent) article about multiple file upload: So We Wanted To Build A File Uploader… by the front-end team of mail.ru.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2013-10-29 19:32:29

TheEric
Plugin Author

Look at the released code for EBL_Upload. While the Flash filereference is dated, the server side processing bit works well.

#18 2014-01-24 20:14:48

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

I think multiple image upload is not a good idea. Because of messing [Images] database, with duplicates, and with no metadata. IMHO, multiple photos should be hosted in separate gallery folders, outside of database. Or even on specialized servers like Flickr.com, Ipernity.com, Imgur.com, Im9.eu, Photos.live.com and so on.

I am using [Images] database for embedded images only (until VGA size), with its thumbnails and description metadata. All the full-size images reside somewhere outside database. Linked from the embedded images, and rendered by gallery and slideshow scripts, when needed.

My the only desire for core development would be small and cheap expanding of the <txp:image /> tag by a link="" URL attribute, which would be very very useful. I am tried to clarify the problem last year.

Last edited by Vienuolis (2014-01-25 14:19:33)

#19 2014-01-26 20:51:59

Rodin

Hello guys!
The multiple/batch upload for files and images is definitely a must have feature!
Wordpress already have a great approach for that. I wrote a small plugin, which replaces the standard upload form in images and in files section in Textpattern. Drag & Drop feature and multiple upload supported. It using a standard textpattern upload functions, the plugin just upload the files through ajax in background. Works great with the following plugins: bot_image_upload, bot_file_upload and smd_thumbnail (also must have plugins in my opinion). What I don’t like about my plugin is that I can’t select the category before uploading the files. Therefore, you need to upload the files and select the category for each file afterwards. Not good… Hope some experienced developer can help me implementing this feature later.
I need an account on textpattern org so I can upload the plugin and make it public. Hope you guys can help me testing it.
Who can create an account for me on textpattern org ? Self-registering is disabled now. :(
P.S. Personally I don’t like WordPress because it takes too much time to develop a website. Textpattern is very fast if you need to create a website with your own design and when you need it fast! Therefore textpattern will not die (for me at least).

#20 2014-01-26 21:46:14

els

Rodin wrote #278507:

Who can create an account for me on textpattern org ?

Just send Stef (Bloke) a message :)

#21 2014-08-31 19:53:28

candyman

robhert wrote #275765:

I just wanted to add my two cents: Upload files to Textpattern

Any progress? That was great.

#22 2014-09-02 10:20:49

Algaris

This would be amazing. I’d love to have this level of flexibility for uploading media and inserting it into articles.

#23 2014-09-03 15:58:18

candyman

Maybe we can hope to find a thing like this natively in Txp 5.0.
I think that the 4.x releases will require a plugin to obtain the same result.

#24 2014-10-13 07:10:03

candyman

I’m asking if robhert’s Upload files to Textpattern method was a working plugin or only an idea presented as a slide collection.

After seeing the power of recent drag and drop plugins like stm_article_order, esq_sectionsort and etc_tree, this would be an amazing way to manage media.

The part I like more is the simpler way to assign a class to an image.
Maybe is already there a plugin to do this that I don’t know?

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by candyman (2014-10-13 07:17:02)

Board footer