Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-09-15 04:07:11

Kegaro

Help with stalled website development

Our website WAS in the process of being updated. But have had many problems getting onto the developer, phone not answering, work just seems to have stopped and he is not doing what we asked for. We paid a deposit back in June but it’s just grinding on.

The new pages have been done in Textpattern. I was told that it would be easy for me to make changes etc. once the thing was running. I have access to the new pages, have looked around for how to make the changes I want, but it’s all Greek at the moment. I’m ok with most computer stuff, taught myself CAD and CorelDraw (I’m an 80’s typesetter!!) but this Textpattern thing has got me beat with the tech language. I’ve been looking for a Tutorial for Newbies but what’s there assumes I have some knowledge of the craft. Any advice on where to go next would be very much appreciated. I’m sure that once I get guidance in lay person’s terms, I can get on the road to doing what needs to be done. Because we are still ‘dealing’‘ with the developer, I don’t want to formally seek assistance from another agency. If somebody was good enough to reply with suggestions, I would PM them with site details and seek advice from there. I’m sure I can do all the necessaries to get it fixed and published – once I get some basic input and can learn from there I’m sure. I can provide website details and the password etc. to get into the changed pages – would prefer to keep it off the air as we will probably just be parting ways with the ‘‘developer’‘ very soon. p.s. I have ordered the book ‘‘textpattern solutions’‘ – but I have a sneaky feeling it will be written in tech-ese too. Just need to get over those initial unfamiliarity hurdles!

#2 2014-09-15 05:13:40

jstubbs
Website

Re: Help with stalled website development

Hi Kegaro, there are a lot of helpful people here so feel free to let us know what you need help with (an example of what you need to achieve would be good) and someone will answer!

Once your site is set up in Textpattern (the front end coding which resides in Textpattern “pages” or templates) then adding content is very easy as you indicated. If you can post some questions (or code from your TXP install) along with what you’d like to achieve, I’m sure we can help you.

Welcome to Textpattern!

#3 2014-09-15 05:15:57

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Kegaro,

Hi and welcome to txp. We can help you with whatever txp related matters here. Do you have your website online? If you post the url and/or what is left to be done we can guide you through.

For now the tag reference might be of help.

> Edit: Jonathan beat me to it:)

Last edited by colak (2014-09-15 05:17:31)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2014-09-15 06:36:47

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

+1 for what jstubbs and colak said. Also, if you do part ways with your developer, check out the TXP Builders link in jstubbs’ sig – you two look like you’re in nearby timezones.

#5 2014-09-15 17:29:32

bici
Website Mastodon

+1 re help. Note before yo part ways with your developer ensure that yo have access to the Server, website and have all necessary passwords.

…. texted postive

#6 2014-09-15 21:29:40

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #283766:

+1 re help. Note before yo part ways with your developer ensure that yo have access to the Server, website and have all necessary passwords.

Also billing information for the host account and domain name.

#7 2014-09-16 18:19:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

…and tell us who they are so we can tar and feather them.

Just kidding.

#8 2014-09-16 19:16:08

candyman

Lol :D

Board footer