Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2014-09-11 18:02:35

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Re: msd_google_map: Easily associate a location with your articles

The plugin only creates the admin map? Is the other map based on the example usage article I had posted?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#122 2014-09-11 18:13:23

candyman

Yes, only the admin map and yes, I used your example.
It seems to me that the map isn’t shown even on your site.

Last edited by candyman (2014-09-11 18:18:47)

#123 2014-09-11 20:26:12

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I removed the map from that article back when I migrated my site I believe.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#124 2015-05-26 15:52:29

candyman

Hello Matt, I’m leaving the good Google Apps for Open Source alternatives.
The EU Cookie Policy isn’t very clear about the cookie usage so I prefer using open source like Piwik instead of Google Analytics.
The problem is that I need to replace your Admin Google Map too.
Are you planning an Open Street Map Admin plugin for the future?
Just to know.

There’s already a plugin (tok_osm_leaflet) using the Leaflet Library but I’d prefer a plugin that show the Map in the TXP Admin Area.

Last edited by candyman (2015-05-26 16:10:31)

#125 2015-05-26 16:30:06

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I’m not familiar with EU Cookie rules at all but being as it would be admin side, and limited to a few authorized users, I would think it would be acceptable.

I don’t use the plugin but if I get some time I can look into swapping out google maps for the leaflet library or Mapbox. Shouldn’t be to hard to change the popup version of my plugin.

My Plugins

#126 2015-05-26 17:03:53

candyman

Thanks for the reply.

I’m using the original version, that opens in the Admin page with the Map over the article edit area (no popup).
According to you it would be harder to upgrade this version?
With that version now I can choose a point on the map, fill a custom field and I have a marker on a map with the link to the original article. Very useful (at least for me).

With GoogleMaps, I guess that Google knows what your user is looking for, with OpenStreetMap this shouldn’t happen, I think.

I see that Mapbox uses OpenStreetMap maps: it’s a good start but I need to read the licence.
Never heard about this project: very interesting, thanks for the spot.

Last edited by candyman (2015-05-26 17:13:04)

#127 2015-05-26 17:20:41

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

MattD wrote #291089:

I’m not familiar with EU Cookie rules at all but being as it would be admin side, and limited to a few authorized users, I would think it would be acceptable.

That is indeed acceptable under eu laws because the visitors’ privacy is maintained. I think that there is a confusion in this forum regarding the law whose main idea/consern is with the visitors and NOT the admins of sites. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here but I don’t think that we would be able to maintain connection to the admin side without cookies.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#128 2015-05-26 21:09:45

jakob
Admin
Website

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here but I don’t think that we would be able to maintain connection to the admin side without cookies

Yes, a cookie is set when one logs in as an admin user. As such using cookies are a condition of using txp as an admin user. You can explain how cookies are used to any potential admin users. This is really only an issue for public users if you allow them to register publicly.

Doesn’t OpenStreetMap also use cookies in a similar manner to google maps? I don’t think that you can decide as the web admin what’s a “good cookie” or a “bad cookie”. You can only provide a cookie policy page explaining how/ what you use cookies for, and which embedded external services use cookies with the option to opt-out. If the user opts-out, you remove your tracking code and replace embedded video or document viewers with a link to the respective site where the user can decide again if they want to be tracked or not. In txp you can do that with something like chs_cookie which you store as a variable. You can then output the code differently depending on the output of txp:if_variable.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#129 2015-05-27 11:54:58

candyman

For off topic discussion, read here.

Last edited by candyman (2015-05-27 11:57:44)

Board footer