Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2014-02-19 19:17:14

uli

Re: arc_meta - Improve Your SEO

Hi Andy,

thanks for this plugin!

I’ve remarked that you prepopulate some preference entries (eg. search results) with terms from txp_lang, dependent on the selected admin language. If someone switches languages after installing the plugin (that’s probably not uncommon in non-English countries) these entries remain in the original language.

Could you mention that in the help for the next update so that anyone concerned might keep that in mind?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#14 2014-02-24 22:23:48

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #279088:

Actually, I was going to suggest using “Meta-title”. Likewise “Meta-description” and, if possible, “Meta-keywords”. This is also consistent with how you label them in categories and sections, for example, and consistency is good.

I agree that’s more consistent. I’ll update the plugin accordingly.

Speaking of keywords, are you making a keywords tag that pulls from the keywords field? I suppose that’s not really needed, as it can be done easy enough with native tags, but since it’s all features grouped under the Meta section, it makes sense to me. Options are good. ;)

A meta keywords tag is already in the code ready for the next release that should be ready soon.

uli wrote #279103:

I’ve remarked that you prepopulate some preference entries (eg. search results) with terms from txp_lang, dependent on the selected admin language. If someone switches languages after installing the plugin (that’s probably not uncommon in non-English countries) these entries remain in the original language.

Could you mention that in the help for the next update so that anyone concerned might keep that in mind?

Thanks for pointing this out. It’s not something I’d considered. I’ll update the documentation to mention this.

#15 2014-03-02 17:21:00

Destry
Website

Andy,

I notice the HTML output creates a meta tag that ends like ... />, with a space and forward slash. Is that a constraint by Textpattern or can those spaces and slashes be removed? I think Txp’s default templates are HTML5 now, aren’t they?

Never mind. I see what you’re position is, and that a closing slash is still valid in HTML5. That’s okay with me. ;)

#16 2014-04-29 14:52:35

maniqui
Website

A feature request: adding a new tab (suggestion: under “Content -> Metadata”) to edit the meta-title and meta-description for sections.
Rationale: there is at least one plugin (rah_flat) that disables the “Presentation -> Sections” tab while enabled, making it impossible to edit the meta-title and meta-description fields added by arc_meta.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#17 2014-04-29 18:06:53

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote #280489:

A feature request: adding a new tab (suggestion: under “Content -> Metadata”) to edit the meta-title and meta-description for sections.
Rationale: there is at least one plugin (rah_flat) that disables the “Presentation -> Sections” tab while enabled, making it impossible to edit the meta-title and meta-description fields added by arc_meta.

Hi maniqui, I’ve not yet had chance to look into rah_flat so not sure what impact it would have on arc_meta. Your suggestion is interesting though. Is the issue just related to sections? Perhaps it would make sense to have a Content -> Section Metadata tab if that can be enabled/disabled from the plugin’s settings.

#18 2014-05-08 16:28:04

maniqui
Website

Hi monkeyninja. I missed your reply.

Hi maniqui, I’ve not yet had chance to look into rah_flat so not sure what impact it would have on arc_meta.

Maybe I wasn’t clear: when enabled, rah_flat restricts access to “Presentation -> Sections” tab, thus, making it impossible to edit any fields, including those added by arc_meta.

Your suggestion is interesting though. Is the issue just related to sections? Perhaps it would make sense to have a Content -> Section Metadata tab if that can be enabled/disabled from the plugin’s settings.

It sounds like a good idea. Also, metadata (including section metadata) is more related to content than to presentation, imo. So, content editors (ie. site owner, for example) should be able to edit these metadata fields, even if they don’t have granted permissions for accessing the “Presentation” tab.

#19 2014-05-08 16:34:52

maniqui
Website

While here, there is something else I’d like to share: I see that lengths for fields are hardcoded in the plugin. For example, the title field is limited to 65 characters and the description field is limited to 150. Although I can understand that these upper limits are related to the usual length these fields have on some search engine results pages (and other crawlers and/or indexers), I find the constrain a bit arbitrary and somewhat limiting.
I’d rather let the user input any amount of text on these fields, or cap its upper limits via plugin’s code (with a value that could be seat in the plugin’s options), instead of silently truncating it on the database.
What do you think?

#20 2014-05-11 14:07:34

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

(Off topic)

#@admin
#@language fr-fr
arc_meta_article_title => Forme du titre des articles (meta)
arc_meta_comment_title => Forme du titre des commentaires (meta)
arc_meta_search_title => Forme du titre des recherches (meta)
arc_meta_category_title => Forme du titre des catégories (meta)
arc_meta_section_title => Forme du titre des sections (meta)
arc_meta_homepage_title => Forme du titre de la page d’accueil (meta)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#21 2014-05-11 17:59:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote #280677:

Maybe I wasn’t clear: when enabled, rah_flat restricts access to “Presentation -> Sections” tab, thus, making it impossible to edit any fields, including those added by arc_meta.

rah_flat uses Textpattern’s permission model. The site admin or other plugin can bring any of the panels back by explicitly setting overriding privileges for the panel:

add_privs('section', '1,2,3');

…in the other plugin’s (i.e. arc_metas) source code, after rah_flat has been loaded (achievable with load order). On import rah_flat will not overwrite any fields that are not defined in the flat JSON file.

It sounds like a good idea. Also, metadata (including section metadata) is more related to content than to presentation, imo. So, content editors (ie. site owner, for example) should be able to edit these metadata fields, even if they don’t have granted permissions for accessing the “Presentation” tab.

Similarly users additional users can be given access the Presentation panels:

global $txp_permissions;
$txp_permissions['tab.presentation'] =  '1,2,3,4,5';
$txp_permissions['section'] = '1,2,3,4,5';

Last edited by Gocom (2014-05-11 18:01:09)

#22 2014-06-14 14:51:56

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve added support for robots and keywords meta tags. I will look into exposing the section meta data to all users next.

#23 2014-06-26 18:41:13

maniqui
Website

Hi Andy.
A suggestion/request: on meta fields for sections, it could be helpful to have a simple text field to store an image ID. This way, we could “attach” images to section metadata and have them properly output on og or twitter card. Otherwise, having an image “attached” to a section metadata is a bit more difficult.
Thanks.

#24 2014-07-16 23:18:41

visualpeople
Website

I have a question about how the individual fields (Meta title, Meta description, etc.) are ‘registered’ on the Write screen.

What I’m getting at is I’d like to use bot_write_tab_customize to move the Meta title field and Meta description field underneath the title itself but none of those are listed in the menu under Write Tab Customize — which I’ve never encountered before. Usually, anything added to the write screen is listed there to hide/show or move around. The only option right now seems to move the WHOLE meta box, but obviously, that comes with the keywords and url-only-title, etc., which confuses everyday users…

I realize this is beyond what this plugin does since I want it to interact with another completely separate plugin, but I’m just hoping someone can shed some light on why they’re not showing up and how I can get them to.

Board footer