Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2014-01-17 20:02:15

mwr
Website

Re: New forum theme

I was thinking of launching a FluxBB forum myself. Can you tell me of any anti-spam measures that you used?

Mark

#62 2014-01-18 13:33:10

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

phiw13 wrote #278145:

That means there is something in the forum’s js scripts that prevent user scripts (bookmarklets included) to run. I don’t use FX at all, except for testing and I’ve lost track of all the changes they’ve done in that space in recent years. And not much energy for diving into the scripts to try to find out. Maybe Jukka will know.

That’s simply Content Security Policy. As many other services that care about user safety, we are using it to shield our users from XSS attacks and malware. Its there for your own safety, and protects you harmful persistent XSS attacks which could be targeting 0-day vulnerabilities found in your systems.

Now, your web browsers may also prevent you from injecting JavaScript to the forum pages. How CSP is implemented is up to the web browser, as long as the specification is met, but most of them do at least prevent execution through the web browser address bar too, preventing these so called ‘bookmarklets’ and other hacks.

If you want to run JavaScript on these forum pages, you should use the documented APIs your browser offers and do it through an extension. If you feel that there is something missing in your vendor’s CSP implementation, check their bug tracker and bring the issue up there.

#63 2014-01-20 11:57:28

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #277856:

The decision was made to concentrate efforts on English language as a priority for the forum and also the user documentation as we simply don’t have the resources to maintain multiple languages (the user documentation is way out of sync between languages at the moment).

However, the forum code is publicly available on GitHub so there is nothing to stop enterprising users to host their own Textpattern forum in their native language if desired. We would then put links into the footer of the brand sites (like we have done with Textpattern.ru).

It was not a decision we took lightly, but most of the international forums were empty with either no posts or, worse, questions that went unanswered.

That could change in the future though. Once we get the user documentation site updated we’ll review the situation again.

Hello Phil,

I regret the disappearance of the forums by language . I understand your choice but I think it’s not good for Textpattern .

1 – I never started using Textpattern without help of FR forum . Today I ‘m not very good with English, but I try . There are 7 years I did not understand anything in English.

2 – Some French users asked for help only via the FR forum. These users are certainly lost. It cost anything to continue to considere these minorities.

3 – You make the parallel with the WordPress community. They has created websites dedicated to their CMS in each language. That’s true. But the Textpattern community is much smaller. And find active members can invest in a project is very difficult. Pat64 tried to launch textpattern-fr with no success.
Txp magazin , txp wiki has trouble finding contributors. nevertheless the EN Textpattern community is the most important. Then try to imagine the problems of contributions in other languages.

4 – Textpattern has never proposed tools for search users by city with forum datas. It was very interesting to know other users living in the same country or the same city. Only forum by languages allowed to get an idea.

5 – [fr-fr] Le web est pluriel, le web est le reflet d’un monde cosmopolite où tout le monde doit pouvoir s’exprimer, quelque soit sa langue, sa culture, ses origines. C’est regrétable que ce ne soit plus possible dans cet espace.

Voilà!

#64 2014-01-28 13:06:45

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I think we still need to set up a cookieless subdomain for serving the assets? Pingdom tools flag that up in their report when testing the forum.

#65 2014-02-06 20:47:56

maverick
Website

My first time back on the forums since the new version (though I saw the mockup). It looks great.

Thank you for the investing in Textpattern and our community.

#66 2014-02-20 23:48:02

tye
Website

How do you search a thread now?

I’ve been using in Google “keyword site:url” cos I can’t figure it out :(

#67 2014-02-21 08:20:59

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

FluxBB’s inbuilt search is a bit basic – it doesn’t allow searching within a thread. Previously we had hacked that in ourselves.

The only easy way now is to use the google search box in the header and start by putting name of thread in there, then keywords.

Hopefully they will improve their search features one day.

#68 2014-02-23 22:54:37

tye
Website

Thanks Phil

Board footer