Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2014-02-11 08:52:34

springworks
Website

Re: PageSpeed, caching, Cloudflare and other site speedup methods

gaekwad wrote #278795:

I’ve been thinking about this thread tonight – if the images are large and not web-optimised, would some server-side processing with ImageMagick or gd work?

Wondering aloud – would it be possible to put together an admin-side plugin, or other server-based script, that periodically scanned through the images folder and optimised them, keeping a record of the ones it had already processed?

Even if, as designers and developers, we rigorously optimise images for a site using build tools, ImageOptim, etc., once the site is handed over to the client and they are uploading new content, all bets are off.

It seems unrealistic to expect clients to run images through optimisers before uploading (although we should, of course, be educating them to resize down to appropriate dimensions first). Therefore, any automated process that either optimised on upload, or, as described above, periodically checked and optimised new images, would be a great addition to keeping images for a site lean and optimised.

#38 2014-02-11 09:09:43

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Here’s what I got from Hostgator customer service:

We have previously considered mod_pagespeed however as this module is not officially supported by cPanel, we have hesitated on developing the offering further.
We are also currently working on introducing a different option to help accomplish similar goals through the use of Nginx and Varnish. Although the roll out of these technologies is still being tested, we are quite hopeful that they will show significant decrease in site load times.

Only that I don’t see that Nginx or Varnish will do the job for images, so…yep :/

#39 2014-02-11 09:50:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

All I can think of is installing jpegtran, optipng, pngout and gifsicle (and possibly any other ones you want) onto your hosting via shell access. Then setting up a cron job to run them once a week or something.

#40 2014-02-11 10:27:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

THE BLUE DRAGON wrote #278804:

Hi Pete, my name is Gil :)

I am sorry, Gil – I was on mobile and still haven’t quite accepted the ‘real name’ field no longer being here. No disrespect intended.

I guess the real reason for my question was to find out what type of images you’re referring to. By this, I mean are you using large photos, sprites or something between the two. If it’s photos and your clients are uploading original, multi-megapixel images straight from a camera, then they will be huge. If this is the case, perhaps some tie-in to a friendly Flickr-style photo service where they can upload the huge image and then Flickr takes care of the resizing. Compression in jpg files is lossy, by definition. Hostgator shared plans do include gd2 (see support.hostgator.com/articles/pre-sales-questions/compatible-technologies for info), so you may be able to use that to batch process your image files.

Board footer