Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-02-03 14:29:40

aslsw66
Website

Comment moderation from a mobile device

I have finally implemented comments on my website but have left moderation on for now.

One of the things that I have discovered is that trying to make moderated comments visible through a mobile browser results in a complete browser lockup. The problem is when the confirmation box appears. No action can clear it, and the box itself can’t be removed. The browser freezes and my only option is to clear it completely from the active apps.

I have tried this with Safari on the iPhone and iPad, and Chrome on the iPad with the same results.

Is this a known issue? I’ve never seen anything like it on any other site that uses similar confirmation boxes.

#2 2014-02-03 17:04:45

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Comment moderation from a mobile device

I just tried this with the Xcode iOS simulator in Safari and a real iPhone with iOS7 in Safari – both worked as per the desktop instance. What admin theme are you using?

#3 2014-02-03 21:28:37

aslsw66
Website

Good thinking. Unfortunately, I’m still using the default admin theme so it can’t be that.

Next option I guess is to see if my wife (she is now a co-publisher on the site) can moderate the comments from one of her iPads. Not that I could think of anything on my iPad to make this fail, but troubleshooting means checking for everything I guess.

#4 2014-02-04 09:56:03

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Hmm. Errant comment-related plugin? I’m not sure about this (this should be abundantly clear by now).

#5 2014-02-04 10:28:55

aslsw66
Website

Another good idea. Unfortunately, no comment plugins are in use or even installed. I might have to google more broadly (ie. non-Textpattern) to see if there are issues with closing these sorts of dialog boxes more generally when using mobile devices. That might help me to track it down.

But thanks for the ideas, I appreciate them!

#6 2014-02-04 10:50:43

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

For completeness, you could install a new, vanilla Textpattern and try setting the comment from Donald Swain to moderated. That might at least tell you if the issue is related to your existing Textpattern installation, or perhaps it’s something more broad.

#7 2014-02-04 10:51:33

aslsw66
Website

Yep, that’s a good plan. Thanks again.

Board footer