Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2014-01-25 10:05:59

Destry
Website

forum.xpattern.net

As some of you may remember me going on about at one time or another… For at least the past couple of years, I’ve not been able to get notifications via email from this forum. I have no clue why. I’ve checked everything I can think to check (yes, spam filters and character patterns too), but I can’t figure out what the problem is. I’m resigned to think it will only go away when I get a new computer and start with a fresh OS.

That’s rendered the forum much less useful for me, because I can’t keep up with conversation here without remembering to follow-up, and even then remembering where that conversation was happening.

So you can imagine my surprise when I flipped on email this morning and saw a notification sitting there that read:

hitodev has replied to the topic ‘smd_bio : store additional biographical info about your users’ to which you are subscribed. There may be more new replies, but this is the only notification you will receive until you visit the board again.

The post is located at http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=278472#p278472

You can unsubscribe by going to http://forum.textpattern.com/misc.php?action=unsubscribe&tid=31496

Textpattern CMS Support Forum Mailer
(Do not reply to this message)

I was like, “Wow, how’d that happen?”

Then I looked at the sending address: forum.xpattern.net

Eh?

Copy/pasting that into the address bar, it redirects directly to forum.textpattern.com.

I’m guessing with the demise of the fork project, xpattern, that old domain was given over to Txp. But why would I be getting notifications from that domain and not the actual one?

Still a mystery to me.

#2 2014-01-25 10:17:49

Destry
Website

Re: forum.xpattern.net

Btw, my notification problems have existed long before the forum was changed.

I just came across GugUser’s thread, and this from wet in that thread.

That tells me that the forum.xpattern.net thing is normal, which also means my notifications problem may finally be over?!

Where’s the wine? Time to celebrate.

Somebody reply here so I can verify for sure.

#3 2014-01-25 10:21:50

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

C’mon Destry, get back to where you once belonged!

#4 2014-01-25 10:31:41

Destry
Website

Well, well. It seems to be working. Pretty significant.

If anyone has theories as to why it ever stopped working and why I might have been singled out for so long, I’d love to hear them.

In any case, Destry rides again!

#5 2014-01-25 10:39:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

We’ve been sending email notifications using xpattern.net for a month or so.

Its just a domain Robert owns and thus we have access to. Using it is not related to the fork nor it was given over, Robert just merely bought it and has that domain.

Main reason for using a domain that is not textpattern.com, is that we do not own textpattern.com domain. The domain is not managed by us and we don’t have access to its zone files. xpattern.net on the other hand is owned by Robert and is unused.

Destry wrote:

That tells me that the forum.xpattern.net thing is normal, which also means my notifications problem may finally be over?

We’ve always been sending email notifications. The issue has been the local domain name in the delivery route (a not so configured email server), and your email server not accepting the email because of it.

#6 2014-01-25 10:53:45

Destry
Website

Gocom wrote #278478:

We’ve been sending email notifications using xpattern.net for a month or so.

Then that tells me my “subscriptions” to threads prior to the change still don’t work and I probably need to usubscribe/resubscribe to them, because I’m sure I have quite a few dozen subscriptions built up and forgot about that I’ve not seen any notices for yet. I’ve only seen notices beginning today. So why just today?

Mind you I don’t really care so long as it’s actually working for me again throughout the boards. I guess it still remains to be seen.

#7 2014-01-25 10:56:22

Destry
Website

I guess it’s possible old threads I’m subscribed too just haven’t seen action in the last month. That would explain it too.

Nope, scratch that. I have subscribed to threads recently and didn’t see notices for them. So it must have been something you guys did very recently.

#8 2014-01-25 11:01:03

Destry
Website

This is the last thread I subscribed to (still am), only 6 days ago, and I’ve never received a notification from that thread.

#9 2014-01-25 11:18:21

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #278480:

Then that tells me my “subscriptions” to threads prior to the change still don’t work and I probably need to usubscribe/resubscribe to them, because I’m sure I have quite a few dozen subscriptions built up and forgot about that I’ve not seen any notices for yet. I’ve only seen notices beginning today. So why just today?

The address is unrelated to the email server configuration issue and the delivery issue.

Mind you I don’t really care so long as it’s actually working for me again throughout the boards. I guess it still remains to be seen.

The issue is not in the boards, and we’ve always been sending notifications.

I probably need to usubscribe/resubscribe to them

Unrelated. Issues were in delivery. Re-subscribing does nothing than delete and recreate a boolean flag row on the server linking a topic to your user record on the server. Only thing it does is cause fragmentation on the server and probably bring us closer to day-z of signed integer (if the table uses integer identifiers, which it probably does).

You will not get any missed notifications. All emails for a topic are always sent right away when a new reply is posted. There is no queue system involved, or anything of that kind. You will not get emails you’ve missed since your last login. You will only get one notification per topic until you re-log in. This system tries to prevent you getting massive number email notifications. You will not get any new notifications after the second to last post in the topic you are subscribed to exceeds your last board visit date.

#10 2014-01-25 11:21:34

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #278483:

This is the last thread I subscribed to (still am), only 6 days ago, and I’ve never received a notification from that thread.

The server configuration issue was fixed after the last post in that thread. Plus you will only get a single email notification sent per thread until you visit the board again. You will not get any new notifications after the second to last post in a topic you are subscribed to exceeds your last board visit date.

#11 2014-01-25 12:51:39

Destry
Website

Gocom wrote #278485:

The server configuration issue was fixed after the last post in that thread.

This is all you had to say, Jukka. But thanks for all that anyway. If the scientists ever need to instill an apathetic human personality into a robot, I’ll know who to recommend. ;)

Board footer