Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-12-09 11:09:30

funtoosh
Website

Errors after installing TXP 4.5.5, here: *multi-site*

Okay, this is a follow-up to problems occuring when installing TXP 4.5, cf. here.

I’ve got the same problems, basically: after a fresh install and configuration of 4.5.5 I get the error “Duplicate entry ’1-tempdir-’ for key ‘prefs_idx’” — but the fix mentioned above does not work for a multi-site installation ,-(

That is, cleaning the DB, deleting the config.php, repeating the setup gets me back to the initial “duplicate entry” error. No way to log in.

What could I do?

I noticed that uli mentioned in a previous post that »What I also found is a very rare case that the host, you’re trying to install on, blocks connections to textpattern.com« — afaik my provider, HostEurope, does indeed block connections to textpattern.com, I have to uncheck the “ping textpattern.com” option in the prefs of my installations with them.

Any ideas?? What can be done??

Cheers,
-M

#2 2013-12-09 11:22:14

funtoosh
Website

Re: Errors after installing TXP 4.5.5, here: *multi-site*

PS could this be about contacting rpc.textpattern.com and fetching lang files? Any chance to bypass the process?

#3 2013-12-09 13:37:39

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi
You can download the language upload them in your server and install from there…

Edited to add There used to be an option “install from file” but I don,t see it on 4.5.5 onwards

Last edited by colak (2013-12-09 13:39:56)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2013-12-09 14:44:32

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

funtoosh wrote:

PS could this be about contacting rpc.textpattern.com and fetching lang files?

Has no relation to updating and setting up database. Textpattern only tries to connect to remote server when it downloads new translation files. This operation is only invoked by you when you click the Update link on Languages panel.

“Duplicate entry ’1-tempdir-’ for key ‘prefs_idx’”

That will always occur during initial updates, if Textpattern weren’t able to resolve temporary directory for you during the initial setup. Its just a single failed insert, the updater should continue regardless.

Any ideas?

What is your version row’s value in your txp_prefs table?

SELECT val FROM txp_prefs WHERE name = 'version'

If its anything, but 4.5.5, it means the updates error-out somewhere. Potentially it runs into some limit set on the server. You would have to run Xdebug to know where since the updates nor setup are not error aware and we have no way to debug it.

No way to log in.

What exactly do you get after trying to log in? Post a copy of response page source.

#5 2013-12-09 15:52:20

funtoosh
Website

Hi Gocom,
here’s what happens in chronological order: setup goes all well, with the exception of the following in the last screen, (4) “Go!”:

Sorry, but we failed to find a writable directory to hold temporary files. Please visit the Advanced Preferences tab and adjust the Temporary directory path setting to suit your needs.

When trying to log in with my username and password, I first get a .js error window:

Internal error “Duplicate entry ’1-tempdir-’ for key ‘prefs_idx’”.

… followed by:

I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do that; article is an unsafe operation.

Mhm …

#6 2013-12-09 16:00:07

funtoosh
Website

Oh, and:

What is your version row's value in your txp_prefs table?

There is none.

Opsa, wait, there is one at the end: 1.0rc4 — would that be how TXP 4.5.5 identifies itself??

Last edited by funtoosh (2013-12-09 16:06:50)

#7 2013-12-09 17:00:25

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Export a SQL dump from your database and post it here. May not help you directly, but might help us debug where the installation fails and improve the updater in later releases.

funtoosh wrote:

Opsa, wait, there is one at the end: 1.0rc4 — would that be how TXP 4.5.5 identifies itself??

That means the updates haven’t run properly; the installation failed somewhere between. Try to reinstall. You may want to try to do the installation on some other server and then moving the database over.

#8 2013-12-10 15:20:46

funtoosh
Website

Gocom,
sent you an email with a link to the dump and a phpinf on the server in question …

Cheers,
-F

#9 2013-12-10 15:37:38

funtoosh
Website

Gocom schrieb:

Try to reinstall.

Did not work.

You may want to try to do the installation on some other server and then moving the database over.

Okay, I installed (and re-installed, after the now common errors above) TXP in a non-multi-site environment on the same server. Then connected to that database with my multi-site installation. Works.

Puh, but what’s going on here?

#10 2013-12-10 16:11:55

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I will use the provided data later on when we improve the updater and setup script.

funtoosh wrote:

Puh, but what’s going on here?

Dunno. The multi-site configuration is more of so a mod; its just slapped on top of Textpattern and entirely works by symlinking files and overriding indexes. Its not really integrated to the core, but a separate layer on top.

The multi-site installation hasn’t been distributed with the ZIP in proper since 4.5.0 due to limitations in ZIP and its implementations on different platforms. Before this the ZIPs couldn’t been exported proper on all platform. As you’ve probably noticed there are no symlinks in the ZIP. To use the multi-site installation you will have to download the tar, or use SVN, instead.

Starting from next release the ZIP achieve will not contain the sites directory (as it’s not useable).

Last edited by Gocom (2013-12-10 16:13:09)

#11 2013-12-10 16:24:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

If you have installed Textpattern multi-site from the ZIP, that could be your issue. The sites folder in the ZIP isn’t functional. Or it is, but it doesn’t contain symbolic links, but real resolved files. When updating, you would have to replace the contents of your individual site directories too. You will want to use either SVN or the TAR when you want to do a multi-site installation.

In 4.6-dev and nightlies the multi-site installation isn’t up to date or functional, currently. It is missing symlinks (it requires repackaging before release). Also moving on from 4.5 will require that you replace/recreate all individual site directories as the directory structure has changed.

Last edited by Gocom (2013-12-10 16:28:28)

Board footer