Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-11-03 00:20:07

Tamber

[feedback] Can someone point me at basic instructions?

I am failing at most things after installing. Instructions for a new template make no sense to me and most of the plugins just don’t work.
Cheers

#2 2013-11-03 01:50:09

Tamber

Re: [feedback] Can someone point me at basic instructions?

Just been through Txp quickstart. It is out of date. It is wrong. I double checked. Wasted my time again.

#3 2013-11-03 05:59:52

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Tamber,

Txp’s templating system is very different to other cms’ but this is due to the immence flexibility they give. If you want a ready made template, it should be just a copy paste issue on particular sections and/or forms in your install. Some templates are out of date and same goes for some plugins. In the case of plufgins, a lot of them have been replaced by native txp functions. In the case of the templates, it might be that some tags will need to be replaced.

If you tell us what template you installed we are here to help you

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2013-11-03 15:14:25

uli

Hi Tamber, and welcome to the forum!

I understand your frustration, I myself often feel like that when I’m exploring new software, and it’s mostly open source that makes me struggle. But I know that’s system immanent for something that’s developed and maintained by volunteers in their spare time.
On the other hand, here you have the chance of uttering your concerns immediately to these who do all that, and that’s what colak and I offer you here.
This forum is often said to be a friendly one and we gladly prove that. Ask questions, point to problems, we’ll give answers and will do our best to improve weak spots. You’re given freely and using Textpattern is for free, but we’re to a certain degree dependent on feedback from outside, from detailled information, and that’s what I’m asking you.

E.g. what about TXP Quickstart is outdated, what is wrong?

Tamber wrote:

most of the plugins just don’t work

Like colak already said, there are outdated plugins but also, like a lot of TXP tags, some TXP plugins might be context sensitive, need an understanding of their own attribute/value pairs, need a certain previous setup etc. It’s very likely that you even don’t need a plugin for many tasks, it’s typically for beginners to look at what plugins offer when they’ve not fully grasped the power of TXP tags. Please provide us with details (what do you want to achieve, which plugin didn’t work when you wanted to do what) and we’ll help.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2013-11-04 15:53:31

hvdkooij
Website

A basic hint with any CMS is to start with the basic set. Once you grasp the basics you can test with a plugin that scratches a particular itch.

But in general it is advised not to install a plugin untill you have a real need for it.

Geek by nature, Linux by Choice.

Board footer