Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2013-09-17 16:17:10

saternus

[feedback] Missing file

Hello

Finally i decided to try out Textpattern.
I just have it installed and find out there is a missing help file, if it’s not left out with specific purposes.

At Preference—>Basic—>Automatically append comments to articles?
The “?” link would only bring me to a page with “Sorry The help doc you requested does not exist. If you got here via a link from the Textpattern interface, this means it has not yet been created.”

Time to explore further..

#2 2013-09-17 17:07:51

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: [feedback] Missing file

Hi and welcome to txp. When I click on that link I get a popup saying

Textpattern Help
Preferences: Automatically append comments to articles?

This setting determines whether comments and the comment form are automatically appended to individual articles (by automatically including the contents of the comments_display form).

If turned off, you will need to add the comment tags manually. See the related FAQ entry.

The majority of the time, you will want this setting left on, turning it off only if you need greater flexibility to the positioning of your comments in your site design.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2013-09-17 18:48:26

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

It depends on the lang file used. What language do you use for your back office?

The best place to learn about the features of Textpattern is the wiki

And welcome saternus

#4 2013-09-17 21:51:55

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The help files are something I want to fix up after the Textpack language translations are in a better state.

Does the system not resort to English help pages if one doesn’t exist in a certain language? If not then it should.

#5 2013-09-17 22:15:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

saternus wrote:

The “?” link would only bring me to a page with “Sorry The help doc you requested does not exist. If you got here via a link from the Textpattern interface, this means it has not yet been created.”

That’s weird, I changed that ages ago so that if the help text doesn’t exist in your chosen language, it displays the English language help text underneath the ‘Sorry’ message (as an example, it’s currently not translated in ur-in).

If it’s not doing that for your language I’d love to know why! Maybe it displays that if the field doesn’t exist at all for that language, as opposed to the field existing but being empty? Could have sworn I took care of that situation as well, but maybe not.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-09-17 22:18:12)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2013-09-18 07:46:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve fixed some initial errors with the ur-IN language help files, which hopefully we fix this problem in the short term. I haven’t got to that language yet in the system (I’m methodically working from top of the language list downwards) so I’ll do more work there in due course.

Edit: sorry, are we talking about the Urdu language here or was that just and example!

Last edited by philwareham (2013-09-18 07:47:53)

#7 2013-09-18 08:23:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

are we talking about the Urdu language here or was that just and example!

Was just an example to indicate that a full Txp Help URL with a language that has a missing string does (or at least should!) show the English help text underneath. I don’t know what language saternus is using, but I’d like to find out to see if the described behaviour can be replicated, then we can maybe do something about it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2013-09-18 08:38:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

For their IP address, I’m guessing Polish language. But I’ve just tested that and it is reverting to English as intended.

As I said, the help files will be improved in due course once I’ve finished the Textpacks. Just thinking through the best way to get those helpfiles out of the database and onto GitHub at the moment.

#9 2013-09-18 08:46:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

Just thinking through the best way to get those helpfiles out of the database and onto GitHub at the moment.

Slightly OT, is the plan to make a dedicated help folder in the core distro and then have en-gb, de-de, etc textpack files for help text? Or are the help strings going to be rolled into the main lang files now that the field width is Text? Either way we can take advantage of {replacement} strings in them and extend the help system out to plugins, which I’m really looking forward to.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-09-18 08:46:35)

#10 2013-09-18 09:15:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Board footer