Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-08-23 13:50:36

towndock
Website

Re: Kickstarter-esque project for Textpattern 4.6

The mini-drive approach could make sense – they would provide focus.

But this gets back to the devs. If the devs have full-time jobs, fund raising for focused missions isn’t going to create free time. If the devs say this works, I’m in and will donate. That isn’t the impression I got from earlier comments in this thread.

One thing that has me concerned is this:

Bloke wrote:
In terms of core, at the moment I’m the rank outsider because my coding skillz aren’t up to those of the others.

Wet wrote in response:
Which makes me wonder whether the increasing adoption of “modern” development methods and language constructs in the 4.6 development cycle and a more complex code base is establishing a too high entry barrier for new contributors or plugin authors.

If the “modern” code is stopping half the devs from participating, that is a real problem.

As a Textpattern user, how something is coded is not of interest. What Textpattern can do is.

#14 2013-08-23 14:04:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

towndock wrote:

If the “modern” code is stopping half the devs from participating, that is a real problem.

It’s not totally stopping me from doing it, but I’m reticent to get stuck in until I fully understand the ramifications of the changes. Otherwise it just means Gocom has to unpick all the mess I leave behind when I do it wrong, so out of professional courtesy I’m mostly leaving it alone for now until I get a bit of free time to learn how to do things properly. I know the basics, but I’m a hacker at heart, and hackers don’t always do things right, they just get them done.

For example, I have a new search feature that’s ready to be copied to the various admin pages, all PSR-0 and modern doohicky and stuff, but I haven’t dared submit it as a patch for consideration yet! Given the excellent adapter/container changes that have taken place in the last two days in core, it’s probably very out of date already…

Last edited by Bloke (2013-08-23 14:06:43)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2013-08-23 15:43:37

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Interesting topic because I don’t like the current system of donation.

Currently the only option is to give individually to each core members.
I’m unable to make a decision about what I want to give to a specific member. I can not judge the work of an individual.
As a Textpattern user, I would like to support Textpattern or a aspect of this project. Not a individual.

And another system of donation, which is not the gifts of individuals would seem to me simpler and more logical.

Bloke a écrit:

For example, I have a new search feature that’s ready to be copied to the various admin pages, all PSR-0 and modern doohicky and stuff, but I haven’t dared submit it as a patch for consideration yet! Given the excellent adapter/container changes that have taken place in the last two days in core, it’s probably very out of date already…

In cases like this, I heard a lot about “pair programming”

#16 2013-08-24 11:19:07

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Gocom wrote:

I’ve just got ‘containers’ to the core, so it should definitely make it easier for end-developers to access the more ‘modern’ classes. It’s almost like calling your procedural function, expect that you can chain. E.g.

echo Txp::get('TypeString', ' Hello World! ')->trim()->replace(' ', '&')->lower()->html();

To me, that doesn’t seem to be any simpler or faster than:

echo htmlspecialchars(strtolower(str_replace(' ', '&', trim(' Hello World! '))));

Now if the container just had views and no visible factory. But PHP 5.2.0 doesn’t have neither lambdas, static binding nor closures. The most advanced stuff I can use are interface signaling and some reflection. So, factories and interface templates it is.

Wait, what?… lots of words, but I have no idea what you just said. Which probably is more an indication of my lack of knowledge of “modern” OO programming than a opinion of your work. I think the barrier for contributing to TXP development now is much higher than it used to be. The whole OO versus procedural programming seems to me to be more a matter of religion than that one is better or worse than the other.

#17 2014-08-26 14:29:51

towndock
Website

This is a one year anniversary of the above thread. Any updates from the dev team?

From afar, it feels like in the pursuit of perfect code, we have no code at all. I’m sure that isn’t literally true, but the pace of development seems very different.

ruud wrote #274754:

I think the barrier for contributing to TXP development now is much higher than it used to be. The whole OO versus procedural programming seems to me to be more a matter of religion than that one is better or worse than the other.

Bloke wrote #274747:

I’m a hacker at heart, and hackers don’t always do things right, they just get them done.

Board footer