Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2013-03-12 22:38:52

craigdrown

Re: [request] mrd_newsletters - postmaster rewrite ( bounty / specs )

And $200 from us, and $100 per year in the future that it stays updated and working.

#14 2013-03-13 08:13:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

craigdrown wrote:

And $200 from us, and $100 per year in the future that it stays updated and working.

this might be a good idea for the creation of “a txp pro version” which might help the funding of the software. Instead of a plugin, it could be that the newsletter can became one of paid “switch on/off” preferences which could be enabled after paying for it on a per major txp release. This method is already used on many free mobile apps with success.

Food for thought.:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2013-03-13 08:47:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@colak I’m not really keen on a 2 tier Textpattern model (free and pro). I see it this way: I want a certain feature for a clients website, I pay a developer to create that feature for my personal need, I then give that feature to the wider community – yes I’ve paid for it and others have got it free, but maybe the reverse will also happen too at some point. Everyone benefits and a Textpattern dev gets paid, which gives them the incentive to carry on being a Textpattern dev.

I’d love this mailer plugin to become reality and I’d love Jukka to be the one paid to do it, at the price he thinks it will cost (it’s a big piece of work after all).

#16 2013-03-13 09:45:30

colak
Admin

Hi Phil, the reason I suggested the above is because unlike other plugins which might eventually become part of the core or the users might eventually manage their sites without them, the postmaster one is an investment for a lot of sites which help in their (or he business they represent) growth. As such, once the plugin goes there will be no alternative. As I mentioned earlier in the forum there is a legal grey area in moving the subscribers to a third party service such as mail-chimp and the like.

Although I really like Jukka’s thoroughness in coding I have also been around for long enough to know that devs change. People move on because that is how life is. For an end user like me though, learning a software is not so much a part of my CV but an investment. I still use the same CAD software I used back in the 80s for example. That is why I feel that postmaster becoming part of a ‘pro’ core might help in securing not only the function but also the future of txp.

Having said that I really trust that the devs are doing an excellent job and I would be very happy if any one of them takes up the challenge.

As such and in view of the current economic crises and the looming austerity measures I pledge $150.

Yiannis
——————————

#17 2013-03-13 09:56:12

colak
Admin

And another feature request.

The ability to send to more than one list without sending multiple emails to subscribers who belong to 2 or more lists.

Yiannis
——————————

#18 2013-03-14 07:19:05

colak
Admin

Keeping this thread active:)

Yiannis
——————————

#19 2013-03-14 21:54:38

kvnmcwebn
Website

I’ll put what little extra money my paypal account has in it from time to time. There’s a tenner in it at the moment. A tenner here tenner there is all I can swing.

edited to say… a tenner for every install of it?

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2013-03-14 21:56:06)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#20 2013-03-14 21:58:55

kvnmcwebn
Website

Gocom wrote:

Yiannis, who? This thread is gathering funding and ideas for the plugin, which then are collected and used to pay the developer. I’m expressing my interest to develop the plugin if there is upfront funding. After all, you need someone talented to make the plugin.

jesus jukka you have no shame… nice…

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#21 2013-03-16 15:05:22

dnichols.178

At this point I would just be happy with something that integrated mailchimp into the admin panel so my clients wouldn’t have to bounce around to different sites.

#22 2013-03-21 15:34:59

mrdale
Website

Update: Inability to garner enough support to do a thorough rewrite leads me to this renewed and retooled request…
mrd_postmaster

Board footer