Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-05-31 04:57:43

HAC
Website

My Textpattern can not send emails.

Hi,

I used Textpattern for a long time. No problem. Everything is okie. But now My textpattern can not send email. I don’t do anything.

I want to ask for any help that… what do I need to check?

I want to create new user, but email system does not work so my new users don’t have emails for username&password.

That’s urgent.

I’m looking forward to receiving your help.

Thank you in advanced!

Brgds,

#2 2011-05-31 09:37:48

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: My Textpattern can not send emails.

Hi,
aside from your email problem you can create a new user and then change his password this way:

from the faqs:

If you’re the only user with publisher privileges (or the only Textpattern user at all), you’ll need to access the database directly to reset your password. Most web hosting accounts provide direct MySQL access using a program called phpMyAdmin, or via the command line. If you’re not sure how to access either of these, ask your hosting company’s tech support.
With phpMyAdmin, or at the MySQL command prompt, run the following query:

update txp_users set pass=password(lower('pass')) where name='user';

..where pass is the new password, and user is the login username.

#3 2011-05-31 10:16:49

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hac, can you please post your high diagnostics (TXP/Admin/Diagnostics > Select high)? Let’s start from there.

redbot wrote:

update txp_users set pass=password(lower('pass')) where name='user';
..where pass is the new password, and user is the login username.

Just note that Textpattern v4.4.0 (and newer) no longer use MySQL’s password() to hash the passwords, and the passwords are not in-casesensitive (capitals can be used). There is a backwards compatibility script in place that will take care of converting the hashes (for now/while at least) from password() to PHPass during log in.

If we go to the non-fixing, under-the-fence, temporary solutions there is also a plugin that can change passwords, rah_change_passwords :p Not a plug (yes it is, blatant).

Last edited by Gocom (2011-05-31 10:27:44)

#4 2011-05-31 10:27:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Gocom wrote:

note that Textpattern v4.4.0 (and newer) no longer use MySQL’s password() to hash the passwords

Mildly OT: that’s a good point. The FAQ should probably be updated to the following:

update txp_users set pass=password('pass') where name='user';

(i.e. remove the ‘lower’ bit)

As Gocom says, on next login, TXP will take care of converting the password to phpass format.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2011-05-31 19:16:10

HAC
Website

Hi all,

Thank you for all your help. Currently, I still don’t know what happened. But I did solve the problem by accessing to PhpMyAdmin. But I really don’t like this way.

#6 2013-02-10 00:37:06

dylan-c

I have this problem as well and have it on every Textpattern installation. I use Dreamhost one-click installation.

I know there are a couple of workarounds for the problem, but I don’t think any will work for me. There may be potentially several different users logging in through the front end… my client will need to be able to set up their accounts, so resetting in the DB won’t work. It would also be nice if they could request their own password be sent to them through the front end. I have smd_user_manager installed so rah_change_password doesn’t work.

I have a valid email address ( @the domain where the site is hosted) in both the SMTP sender address and login information email fields in Advanced Preferences.

I’m going to try some things described in other threads about this problem and try Dreamhost support.

Last edited by dylan-c (2013-02-13 02:48:02)

Board footer