Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-30 17:22:21

tester

Community site

Hi,

I would like to have people register to comment on my site. I do not want them to have access to the admin area. I have been playing around with some plugins and have had no luck. Admittedly, I do not get code, so perhaps this already exists. I have contacted some of the plugin creators and they have been very helpful but I am having such a difficult time with this.

Here is basically what I need:

1. User visits site and decides they would like to comment, they need to register.
2. Once registered they can log in to their account, create a user image, and make comments.
3. They should not have access to the admin area.

This sounds so simple, and I am sure the code is very complicated – at least to me – but I cannot get this to work.

I have played around with other CMSes but they are not as flexible or as friendly as Textpattern, and I like how I can work with my CSS files to create layouts here.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there an existing plugin that can do this?
2. If there is not, is it easy to make one?
3. If that is not possible either, is there a CMS that can do this and is as enjoyable to work with as Textpattern is? I particularly like that I can edit the pages and forms knowing only HTML, CSS, and TXP tags. I really hope that this is not my only option. I have looked into other CMSes and although they allow me to edit CSS and HTML to develop a layout their documentation on their PHP code is either lacking or too much for my simple little head to get around. I tried Drupal, WordPress, and am currently playing around with Concrete5, only because these are supposed to have the most features. If there is something more like Textpattern I would prefer that. Oh yeah, I know WordPress is easy if one uses an existing theme but I have to create my own layout which means I have to figure out how to build a theme myself, including where the PHP codes should go.

I hope I can stay with Textpattern. Please help. :)

#2 2012-08-31 05:52:37

aslsw66
Website

Re: Community site

Firstly, there is no ‘out of the box’ solution that will make all of this work. It will mean finding the right mix of plugins to achieve what you are after.

For user registration and management, there are a couple of options:

• mem_self_register can handle registration of users,
  • ign_password_protect was the original plugin for restricting parts of your site to registered users only,
  • cbe_frontauth is a more modern approach to the same thing. On the positive side, it integrates nicely with the Textpattern users table so that you only have one list of users. On the ‘more to come’ side, I’m finding some of the features for things like password resets aren’t quite developed yet (but it could be me – I’ve only just started working with it),
  • smd_bio and smd_user_manager help you to keep your user lists under control. For example, you can add more fields for each user, and display and even change some of that information at the front end.

So, using these plugins you could easily create a registration system where registered users see the comments form, and unregistered users only see the comments already entered.

#3 2012-08-31 08:08:14

milosevic

As said by aslsw66, you can do everything you want with that plugins except one: The users can’t upload a personal image to his user profile. You can assign a image to users on the backend but the user cant upload an image to his profile from de frontend.

…and I don’t know how to do this stuff. :-(

<txp:rocks/>

#4 2012-08-31 12:10:19

zero
Website

I’ve never used it, but doesn’t Disqus do what you want? It handles the comments and user can login with their avatar picture they already use elsewhere. You can see it in use on txpmag.com

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2012-08-31 15:27:01

tester

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I can stick with Textpattern! Hurray! On Disqus, I really am trying to steer clear of third party stuff, but thanks for pointing that out. I am off to try out some plugins. :)

#6 2012-09-01 15:30:55

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

I am using Disq.us (instead of TxP Comments) with no problems, although it is possible to write a quite simple plugin for more tight integration with Textpattern. Also, there are a few of alternatives to disq.us: aboutecho.com, dis.cuss.it, intensedebate.com, livefyre.com, and even Facebook.

Board footer