Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-18 13:02:24

Douglas Whates

Sort, filter or search... all (or any) possible without page refresh?

Hello,

I’m currently designing a website for myself. I’m working out design and functionality at the moment, but haven’t started with the Textpattern side of things.

My question:

Is it possible for articles to be sorted and filtered without a page refresh? So, lets say I have a list of musical compositions… I would like for a user to be able to click through a dropdown list to select a year, for example, then pick genre, or instrumentation.

I would like it to happen that… as the user selects the different sort orders or different a different filter (category? custom field?), different results would automatically show. So, when they select “jazz” genre from the “sort” drop-down, it would only show a list of jazz compositions. Then, if they additionally selected “chronological” from the sort menu, it would display them chronologically. Or, if they then changed their mind and selected “alphabetically” it would display things, well, alphabetically.

It would also be great to have the option of selecting the sort order and the filter separately. Similarly, for the search… it would be great if it refreshed the article output, but not the full page.

Any help much appreciated!

Douglas.

Last edited by Douglas Whates (2013-03-27 18:10:33)

#2 2012-08-18 18:12:19

vineonardo
Website

Re: Sort, filter or search... all (or any) possible without page refresh?

I’m not really sure if you are looking for Ajax or similar technology, but when I was working on a website where I had to load pages without actually completely refreshing the page, I used history.js it might be something you can use to get desired results.

I hope you find this useful.

#3 2012-09-06 18:39:06

Douglas Whates

Yes, I think maybe this is an Ajax thing. I’m really not up to speed with any of these things. A quick google for filter, sort and ajaz seems to be giving me some of the type of things I’m looking for.

I’m seeing something called DataTables http://datatables.net which looks like it could do what I need. Also jqGrid http://www.trirand.com/blog/ seems like a similar thing. But I have no idea if these could work with TextPattern. Any clues?

#4 2012-09-06 19:14:25

vineonardo
Website

I will take a look and reply you in a while, this gives me a small clue that may be html5 can also help may be.

#5 2013-03-27 18:12:04

Douglas Whates

This http://isotope.metafizzy.co is exactly what I would like to have.

So, the things that are being shuffled around would be article titles (or maybe images attached to articles), and when you click on it, it would take you to the article page.

Has anyone tried Isotope with Textpattern?

Board footer