Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-08-16 16:20:00

springworks
Website

Joyent cancels lifetime hosting in October. New host recommendations?

(Ed.: Edited title for clarity of situation -Destry)

The hosting company that I have been using for the past 8 years has just decided that it is ending its shared hosting service at the end of October this year. So I have 2.5 months to find a replacement and move all of my and my clients domains over.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable UK-based hosting company please? Preferably one that doesn’t use cPanel. I’ve been using a combination of Webmin/Virtualmin/Usermin for the last 8 years and find it so much easier to get on with than cPanel.

Features I need from a host: multiple domains (so probably a reseller account), shell access and the ability to set up cron jobs for automated backups, etc.

Any recommendations on companies I should consider [for UK] (and those to avoid too!) gratefully received.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Destry (2012-08-16 16:58:13)

#2 2012-08-16 16:39:09

Destry
Website

Re: Joyent cancels lifetime hosting in October. New host recommendations?

Yeah, I got Hoffman’s letter too. So much for TextDrive Joyent “lifetime” hosting. I knew this was going to happen eventually. I might move over to Gandi, as I have domains registered there already.

I wonder if this is going to effect Textpattern’s domains at all. Hmm…

#3 2012-08-16 16:43:01

springworks
Website

I know I shouldn’t be surprised by the move, but it is very disappointing, particularly the short notice.

I’ve got several clients hosted on my accounts, most of whom are extremely non-technical so moving them all is not going to be easy or fun.

Last edited by springworks (2012-08-16 16:43:15)

#4 2012-08-16 16:53:29

Destry
Website

Well, you might look at what they’re offering. If you have many paying clients, it could be easier to just upgrade. At least take advantage of the 512MB SmartMachine they’re offering for 1 year free. That would give you more time to adjust.

I only have my own work, so while I’m sad to be losing free hosting, I’m glad to be getting off Joyent. Never felt right after Dean left anyway.

#5 2012-08-16 17:00:35

springworks
Website

I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t really want to go through another migration in a year’s time if I decide to leave Joyent then.

As I’m UK-based (as are all my clients) I’d probably just rather find a new UK/European-based host and only have to make the move once.

#6 2012-08-16 17:06:58

6sigma
Website

Destry wrote:

Never felt right after Dean left anyway.

A big ditto to that. In their early days they were searching frantically for the causes of some extremely slow performance. In their haste, they’d point fingers at anything or anyone they thought could be the “cause.” Ultimately, there was no silver bullet. The accusations were never retracted. finally had good hosting, but the aftertaste never went away.

Eager to find a new home and willing to move as a group if we find a host that wants us.

Note: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ex-joyeurs

Last edited by 6sigma (2012-08-16 17:33:07)

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#7 2012-08-16 17:27:24

mrdale
Website

Why don’t we do the dean thing, pool resources and buy some hardware as a group? course I know nothing about that end of things.

#8 2012-08-16 17:36:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I just received the email too. Interestingly the links are directed to pages on mkto-f0103.com (not linked here as it has a very poor reputation. I have however linked it to the wot scorecard).

Destry I am looking at Gandi. Do you know how many sites are allowed in their “Gandi Cloud VPS” package?

I’m looking for a reasonably priced place to host up to 5 urls (hopefully in a way which is as easily managed as the one offered by textdrive/joyent).

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#9 2012-08-16 17:46:44

springworks
Website

colak wrote:

Destry I am looking at Gandi. Do you know how many sites are allowed in their “Gandi Cloud VPS” package?

I’m looking for a reasonably priced place to host up to 5 urls (hopefully in a way which is as easily managed as the one offered by textdrive/joyent).

I’ve been looking at the Gandi offerings too.

What would be the benefit of going for the Cloud VPS over the Simple Hosting? It seems a more expensive option that doesn’t offer as much in terms of hosting capability (storage capacity and bandwidth allowance).

#10 2012-08-16 17:53:42

colak
Admin

springworks wrote:

What would be the benefit of going for the Cloud VPS over the Simple Hosting? It seems a more expensive option that doesn’t offer as much in terms of hosting capability (storage capacity and bandwidth allowance).

I guess it is the exclusively allocated ram and bandwidth, but what I am looking for is a place where I can host many sites under one price rather than pay on a per site basis. Currently looking at dreamhost.

In theory VPS is also safer (please somebody correct me if I’m wrong here)

Yiannis
——————————

#11 2012-08-16 18:23:54

colak
Admin

ps… what’s going to happen to textpattern and all its domains/sub-domains?

Also check out the much more heated discussion over at the joyent forum.

>Edited to add. Should the devs write to Jason?

Last edited by colak (2012-08-16 19:00:07)

Yiannis
——————————

#12 2012-08-16 19:14:26

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

Well, you might look at what they’re offering. If you have many paying clients, it could be easier to just upgrade. At least take advantage of the 512MB SmartMachine they’re offering for 1 year free. That would give you more time to adjust.

Does this mean I could move my 25 domains over to their offered machine? Is this Confirmed?

…. texted postive

Board footer