You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-06-22 20:28:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: r3822/3: New Sections panel

Dragondz wrote:

for my case it s english language.

Oh. Erm. When I click Update, it goes away and is replaced with static text ‘Updated’ and the date. Hmmmm. Might be to do with the local environment, but it’s a long shot. Does it work in 4.4.1 on local install?

Last edited by Bloke (2012-06-22 20:29:26)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2012-06-22 21:04:28

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

r3823 fixes the embarrassing English-centric nature of the Sections panel. The yes/no string is now translated client-side and should toggle properly in all languages. Thanks for spotting the bug, sacripant.

I’m not sure it’s the best way to go about it: Robert may have a better notion as I’m still pretty new to the latest code for client-side string manipulation. Tested in English, Spanish and German and passed. Please test in more exotic (and RTL) languages and let us know how it flies… or doesn’t.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#15 2012-06-22 21:18:30

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi Stef if it works for you then maybe it s a local install problem!

#16 2012-06-23 01:14:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Dragondz wrote:

if it works for you then maybe it s a local install problem!

I wouldn’t like to risk it! My installation has been pretty well mangled during development and, while I try to keep it pristine and up-to-date with the current SVN, sometimes I experiment with things. If someone else could either confirm/deny the language update works / doesn’t work on live servers and/or local installs we can ascertain whether it’s a bug that needs fixing or an unfortunate side-effect of being local.

#17 2012-06-23 01:27:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

I’m toying with moving the ‘show details’ toggle to the top right side of the page, since we have some dead space there and it’s logical for the details toggle to be before the table itself.

At the top of the page, or just before the table? The latter might make sense. Putting it at the top of the page just feels real odd. It is a control that applies to the table data after all.

My initial thoughts were to have the multi-edit manage fields duplicated at top and bottom of table list, but I’d like to hear user opinions on that.

I think that would be too much clutter. That is one of the many things that annoy me in the Wordpress UI. I prefer to see them at the bottom. The primary intent of those tables is to get an overview of the data available

EDIT: also, we are considering removing the ‘odd’ and ‘even’ classes from table tbody rows. Now that table layouts throughout the admin-side are tidied up this can be achieved with nth-child CSS rules by theme authors instead (OK, I know IE8 and below don’t support that rule but since it’s purely aesthetic we can accept that regression, right?).

Well IE8 doesn’t support :nth-child(), nth-child() is more verbose (vs the 2 classes) and is slower (the tables are simple & short enough that that doesn’t matter too much). Otherwise, fine by me.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2012-06-23 01:32:51

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

If someone else could either confirm/deny the language update works / doesn’t work on live servers and/or local installs we can ascertain whether it’s a bug that needs fixing or an unfortunate side-effect of being local.

Updating languages works fine here on both my localhost installs (never failed). Will test again once I update my test install on a live server (@DreamHost) – I didn’t fail so far, but it is a bit behind the SVN times. And it was sometimes sloooow.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#19 2012-06-23 03:39:26

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Is that Create new section field on the Section panel by design? Shouldn’t that just be a link pointing to the editor form. Not that it looks stranded (which it does), but when creating a new section it just blobs the section somewhere there on the list. To set any of the options for the new section, you will have to scroll through the pages to find it and then click it’s name. Usability nightmare, some might add.

The field actually confuses me. What is that the field should exactly do. Does it set the Title and automatically create a sanitized version for the name, or does it just set the section name, or does it use that same value for both… brain hurts. Can’t know by looking. Hulk smash button to see. Hulk no see section. Hulk scroll to section.

PS. the link in the message when creating a new section points to the old location (uses the anchor thing).

Last edited by Gocom (2012-06-23 03:39:59)

#20 2012-06-23 03:39:45

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Robert may have a better notion

Whether for better or worse, at least it saves a few bytes and exploits our new-flangled JS l10n API.

#21 2012-06-23 03:47:03

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

wet wrote:

Whether for better or worse, at least it saves a few bytes and exploits our new-flangled JS l10n API.

Awesome API I might add. Been already using it heavily since it landed the SVN. It’s pretty neat how it uses events in its advantage to load the strings.

#22 2012-06-23 03:49:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

It’s pretty neat how it uses events in its advantage to load the strings.

As in “not at all”, you mean?

#23 2012-06-23 04:06:11

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

wet wrote:

As in “not at all”, you mean?

Opposite. Pretty amazing in fact (second time’s the charm, eh). But honestly, while I did say pretty, I did mean that it’s genuinely neat.

Last edited by Gocom (2012-06-23 04:07:50)

#24 2012-06-23 05:21:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I think that since we now display each section’s article_count it would deserve its own sortable table column. It would be much more useful without requiring a lot of additional code.

Board footer