Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-06-21 06:32:50

WallabyACT

Adding content and image to home page

Hi

I have been conscripted to help run a recently developed php-based website for a community organisation. While I have my own html-based website, I am not very familiar with Textpattern. Accordingly, my apologies for what I assume is a very basic question.

I have worked out how to manage the content of articles/pages themselves, including uploading and inserting images. I can also see that the ‘presentation’ is dealt with in another section and I have been able to tweak that.

However, the location of the content of the homepage has me beat. I understand from some FAQ’s I have read that articles can’t be placed on the homepage – this is consistent with no homepage articles being listed and this section not being available when writing an article. So how do I go about altering the content of the homepage – I simply wanted to add an image but can’t find the spot to put the code. However, it may be that I will want to make other (textual) changes as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2012-06-21 07:20:49

skualito

Re: Adding content and image to home page

Under Presentation>Sections, you can decide which section(s) (if you want to) will be displayed on front page. There are people much more qualified than me on these forums that can give a better reply, but this can maybe get you started.
Also have a look at the documentation

Pascal

#3 2012-06-21 16:08:09

uli

WallabyACT wrote:

I simply wanted to add an image but can’t find the spot to put the code.

Images can be added in several spots. In articles themselves: by placing the image’s ID in the article image field in the “Write” panel (provided that the website dev (you?) has put an article_image tag into the form being queried by the article tag) or by placing a snippet of code to be created by one of the helper widgets on the “Images” panel (click one of the following links there: Textile, or XHTML, or Textpattern).
You then place this snippet where you want the image to appear, can be one of either “Pages” panel, or “Forms” panel, or in the “Write” panel immediatly into the article’s body or excerpt field.

Last edited by uli (2012-06-21 16:09:36)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2012-06-21 22:30:09

WallabyACT

Pascal – thanks for the advice – I will have a play around with that option as a means of increasing my exposure to textpattern. However, as a matter of interest, how would you control the placement of a new section created on the home page – I assume through the coding under presentation/page/home?

uli. Thanks also for your comments. Was I correct in my conclusion that the article option was is not available for the homepage? My fundamental problem was that I could not find the code that was going onto the homepage, making the mistake of searching for the one image on the home page under presentation/page/home. However, I now realise that the hypertext reference was sitting in a ‘form’ invoked on the home page.

#5 2012-06-23 12:14:23

uli

Forgot to revisit here, sorry.

WallabyACT wrote:

Was I correct in my conclusion that the article option was is not available for the homepage?

No, quite the contrary: By default, TXP’s mothership tag txp:article would display any article from any section on the front page (unless you alter this TXP default setting for newly created sections, like skualito said already).

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer