Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-05-08 04:15:38

thehairyhand

admin area changes url and adds .local = inaccessible. Ideas please?

I have an old install of textpattern on a 10.4 mac to provide website for our small school. Power was upgraded on weekend. When I restarted webserver – website seems fine, but when I add /textpattern in oder to get to admin area, the url changes and adds “.local”
Like so

http://web1.emerton-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/

http://web1-emerton-p-schools-nsw-edu-au.local/textpattern/

and the admin area is therefore unable to be accessed. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Robert.

#2 2012-05-08 05:29:10

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: admin area changes url and adds .local = inaccessible. Ideas please?

The Textpattern release you are using, v4.0.5, is very old. It has numerous widely known severe security issues, and is vulnerable to various attacks. Some of these vulnerabilities give an attacker a complete access to the target server. All of these known issues have been since then fixed in later updates. Please, consider updating as soon as possible to keep your site, server and school safe from threats.

Anyways, about what your were actually asking. Textpattern itself doesn’t do any redirects. None, never. There is some sort of misconfiguration or collision on the server. Hard to say what causes it, but the server seems to try to redirect to .local when any existing directory (i.e. not a file) is accessed. Accessing any file or missing file, will work correctly, e.g. /textpattern/index.php will bring up the admin-side interface.

#3 2012-05-08 05:41:48

thehairyhand

Re: admin area changes url and adds .local = inaccessible. Ideas please?

Thank you Gocom,
Yeah – I was looking at upgrading…… your message has convinced me.
And thank you for the quick reply so I can get a few things happen before I go down the upgrade path.

Board footer