Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-11-18 11:52:54

uli

One more db entry for «More», please!

At the moment there’s obviously no possibility for renaming the “More” links on the Write tab without influencing each other, they seem to be stored in the same db line.

An example: Trying to give “More” in the right hand column a more finegrained, speaking, translation like “Date, Time and Expiry” or an adequate translation, in wet_babble always results in “More” in the Textile area reading likewise.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2011-11-18 12:09:01

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: One more db entry for «More», please!

Hi Uli,
a temporary and not-so-elegant solution can be achieved using bot_write_tab_customize.
If you have it installed just point to preferences -> bot_wtc -> Additional js code
and add this rule:

<script type="text/javascript">
    $(document).ready(function() {
        $("#textile-docs-link").text("test");
    });
</script>

This should display “test” instead of more

#3 2011-11-18 12:25:53

uli

That’s good to know, thanks.

Nevertheless, reducing the toolkit and the steps that are necessary in order to translate a site is a need for many. And one more line in the DB wouldn’t hurt.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2011-11-18 12:37:12

redbot
Plugin Author

uli wrote:

…Nevertheless, reducing the toolkit and the steps that are necessary in order to translate a site is a need for many. And one more line in the DB wouldn’t hurt.

Totally agree

#5 2012-04-18 13:33:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Thinking about this in the wider scheme of things, do we really need ‘comments on/off’ and ‘comments invite’ under the same group as dates? While “Dates and Comments” (or similar) would be a suitable term for the lang table, it begs the question whether it’s desirable, especially given that comments can be turned off and hence removed from the Write panel. “Dates and comments” would be a rubbish heading in that scenario!

As Els noted, separating the comments from the dates might be a good move. The question is, move where? There are a few semi-obvious options, either one of these or some of them in combination, or even something else I’ve not thought of:

1. Split Comments into its own twisty group and put it either above or below the Publication dates group (above? below? which is best?) Although I’m not a fan of twisties for everything, at least you only need to open/close it once and Textpattern will remember the setting.
  2. Move Comments fieldset out of the ‘more’ group and leave it permanently on-display (I’m not a fan of this).
  3. Move Comments fieldset elsewhere, e.g. under Advanced options on the left? Again, not sure: is commenting really an ‘advanced’ feature?
  4. Move Comments to a new twisty in the left hand pane. If so, where? Disadvantage: it takes it out of the publishing workflow, which is perhaps why it’s on the right, lurking by the ‘Save’ button in the first place.
  5. Move the ‘Publish / Save’ button northwards. Maybe even to the top of the right hand column, alongside the Title. Disadvantage to this is that the publishing workflow is from top to bottom, left to right so the last “call to action” is where the button currently resides, whish is logical. The downside is that it gets pushed down if the twisty is open. The advantage, however, to a top-oriented Save button is that you may need to scroll to the top to click it and 99.9% of themes have the message pane area at the top of the screen. Thus, in Txp 4.5.0, when the AJAX goodness kicks in, you get to see any error message straight away instead of having to scroll up after clicking the button to see if the save failed or not. That also means we need to put less code in place to alert you to the fact the save failed (e.g. in a concurrent-user-editing-the-same-article situation)

Either way, I think the Dates section should all be under a single twisty heading and be decluttered from the Comments settings.

If comments are in their own group and set to “off” I’d do the same thing as we do now for custom fields: add a ‘hidden’ class to the twisty group so it is not displayed on the admin side, but leaves the door open for plugin authors / themers to reinstate or hook into the heading, even if core commenting is shut off.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-18 13:35:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2012-04-18 14:23:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I think the best compromise is to make the comments a separate twisty above the “More” group (which as you say is currently ambiguous at best), and then make the “More” group something like “Date and time” instead.

I’d rather keep the publish button in the bottom right-hand corne for a couple of reasons:

1. It’s the final action to be taken on the page.
  2. When an admin theme is responsive, as my upcoming theme is, and the columns collapse into a single column the Publish button would be in an illogical position (roughly halfway down the page before most of the important publish settings.

Regarding the alert dialogs and the new AJAX forms. I had a lengthy dialog with Gocom about that and we decided for my theme to fix the alert message to the bottom of the browser window, with some visual feedback every time the publish button is clicked (it pulsates slightly). It can also be dismissed with the escape key or by clicking on the close icon. See here for mockup example.

#7 2012-04-18 14:26:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

All good points. Noted, and the idea about the message area at the bottom is nice.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2012-04-18 14:29:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

#9 2012-04-18 18:51:59

els

philwareham wrote:

I’ve done a mockup of how the write page would look with a comments twisty

That is so much clearer! I’d love to see this in the final version.

#10 2012-04-18 19:16:17

uli

That’s how it should have been from the beginning. Thanks!

I am a huge fan of making UIs as simple as photocopiers i. e. the big button top right. But you guys are doing a great job in making elements addressable, and that makes me confident that I will be capable of blowing up stuff and pushing it wherever I need it to sit for illiterate clients.

#11 2012-04-18 20:49:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Board footer