Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-11 03:55:16

lozmatic
Website

[request] Simple Order Management

Hi,

I’m looking for a script to manage restaurant bookings requests via a website (TXP powered, of course). It would be great if this is integrate within TXP as a plugin, instead of having to train the client to use another system.

How it needs to work:

Users order via a form on a website featuring the following fields

• Name
  • Email address
  • Phone
  • Date
  • Time
  • Pax (number of people)
  • Notes

And, ideally, the possibility to add additional fields.

Once the form is submitted the system does two things:

1. Fires off an email confirming request
  2. Sets the order’s status to pending.

Orders would be accessible via a dedicated tab in TXP, with rows listing: Date/time, Name, Pax, Status and an edit button.

An administrator would then be able to edit an order to:

• Change the status to Confirm and send a confirmation email.
  • Change status at a later stage to: Completed, Cancelled, No show (would be good to be able to set these)

Cancelling an order would also trigger an email back to the user.

That’s about it.

If any dev has time to build this please let me know what it would cost.

#2 2012-04-13 06:44:42

whaleen
Website

Re: [request] Simple Order Management

I’m not a plugin dev but could do something like this with a few existing plugins.

• A request as an article submitted from the front end using mem_simple_form
  • A custom field called status (Pending, Completed, Cancelled, No show)
  • A front end list queue (back-end logged users accessible only of course) with options to 1) edit status and 2) email request to the requester with a unique email template per each status.

Yep, now that I’ve thought it through seems it wouldn’t be to difficult.

And, ideally, the possibility to add additional fields.

Can be done with custom fields in TXP but that’s probably not ideal in terms of easy additions for your clients. Simple few minutes work for us nerds so you might consider locking them in to the select few and keep yourself open to adding them as their needs change.

My two cents. Let me know if you need any help on this one.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

#3 2012-04-13 09:34:10

lozmatic
Website

whaleen, thanks for the feedback – your solution makes sense and I think I can get something like this working.

what plugin would one need to make the front end list queue? mem_simple_form again?

cheers,

Lawrence

#4 2012-04-13 11:05:40

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi

when not using zem_contact_reborn, that make the mail process and you can add a plugin to zcr that store data into articles with proper information, that let you handle informations like simple articles.

(for the plugin with zcr i made one for my project that store the result into the db you can find it here )

Cheers

#5 2012-04-13 11:07:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

whaleen wrote:

A custom field called status

For the record, that’s probably not such a hot name because it’ll clash with Txp’s built-in Status field and you’ll get all sorts of hard-to-debug weirdness occurring.

I agree with whaleen though. It’s fairly simple to realise using existing plugins and custom fields. For the backend stuff, you might like to check out smd_tabber as it’ll allow you to add custom tabs to your admin interface. You build the page using standard Page and Style templates, so you can put regular txp: tags in as if it was to appear on the public site.

So, for instance, if your Custom field was called booking_status you could use:

<txp:article_custom booking_status="pending" section="reservations" wraptag="ul" break="li">
   <txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink>
</txp:article_custom>

to display the pending articles from your (hidden) reservations Section. Or you could drop the booking_status filter and just use sort="custom_N" (corresponding to the Booking Status field) and then use txp:if_different to group the list by status. Admins could click on the article title to open the Write tab with the relevant article in it and change the Booking Status custom field there, or you could get fancy and do it directly from the new tab (which may require a little bit of PHP — shout if you need a hand).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-04-13 11:10:18)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2012-04-16 05:08:23

joebaich
Website

Hello Lawrence, ‘Simple Order Management’ may be an oxymoron when applied to on-line restaurant reservation systems, it isn’t such a simple endeavour, I think.

If your restaurant was in the USA, you likely would consider hooking its website up with Open Table which does all the things you want and more. It comes at a cost, of course, but quickly pays for itself if the restaurant is any good. Doesn’t Dimmi.com.au do something similar in Melbourne?

Last edited by joebaich (2012-04-16 12:15:24)

#7 2012-04-16 11:47:53

lozmatic
Website

The client will be implementing Dimmi.com.au as it also provides them a listing on a number of high traffic sites.

So no need for the plugin afterall.

But I’m very thankful for your posts as I have learnt something new that I thought was beyond my.. skillset :)

Cheers.

Board footer