Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-01-14 17:28:51

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Plugins Upload and Updating

After making a few websites using WP, I have to do one using TXP.

TXP used to be my first choice and still gives more pleasure. It’s proper coding :-)

However after using the admin plugins on WP where I search, upload and watch it install. I also get nice notices about newer versions being available.

TXP seems prehistoric.

I’m sure that once I have visited Stefs site for most of his plugins.

visited ADI .. ARCHAK .. MDN .. MEMRAHRSS .. UPMZEM oh yes and I need self registration …

So that’s how many hours doing what I’ve done a dozen times before? I can’t just save the plugin code for next time as it might be updated …

I know it’ll be a huge task but ….. Pleeeease!

This is something we all need.
Even a repository where we can bookmark favourites and download in one zip file …?

Thanks rant over … lots of CTRL C & CTRL V ahead of me this weekend!

Last edited by geoff777 (2012-01-14 17:32:47)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#2 2012-01-14 18:14:19

uli

Re: Plugins Upload and Updating

geoff777 wrote:

After making a few websites using WP

Probably the reason for not knowing sed_cleaner. Might help you.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2012-01-14 18:16:13

joebaich
Website

What Uli said, or next time you make a clean TXP installation, load up rss_admin_db_manager and then the remainder of your personal baseline plug-ins. Use db_backup from rss_admin_db_manager to back up your TXP installation and save the file. Next time, just import (ie restore) the file into a clean TXP installation plus rss_admin_db. Not perfect but reduces what can take much of a day to about 5 minutes. Quicker too, to overload the initial installation and then delete plug-ins you don’t need from subsequent installations.

Note that rss_admin_db_manager is orphaned and has been subsequently updated by other TXP plug-in authors. Get a copy from the links in the first article in the forum plug-in support thread

Last edited by joebaich (2012-01-14 18:39:59)

#4 2012-01-15 10:45:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Once I get some help in doing the new .org site the shiny repository of your dreams can be built upon. There’s a feed available that future textpattern versions can read to find updates. I’ve proved it works ages ago it’s just a case of getting .org live.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2012-01-15 15:41:49

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Bloke … sounds good. Your plugins rule!

@joebaich thanks but if a plugin is updated …

@Uli I didn’t know about sed_cleaner and I’ve used txp for years … but a shame that a moderator had to quote me out of context and take a snidey snipe.

Last edited by geoff777 (2012-01-15 15:42:55)

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#6 2012-01-15 15:54:08

joebaich
Website

geoff777 wrote:

@Uli I didn’t know about sed_cleaner and I’ve used txp for years … but a shame that a moderator had to quote me out of context and take a snidey snipe.

Doesn’t come across as a snide comment to me, Geoff; sed_cleaner is comparatively new and so if you have been away building sites with WP, it’s a reasonable assumption that you missed it appearing on the scene.

#7 2012-01-15 16:39:37

uli

Joe is absolutely right in recognizing what I actually meant. No attack intended, Geoff :) And I just dislike full quotes.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#8 2012-01-15 17:06:08

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote:

Joe is absolutely right in recognizing what I actually meant. No attack intended, Geoff :) And I just dislike full quotes.

Then I apologise to you Uli …

It must be me being ultra-sensitive due to subconscious guilt from being seduced by the dark side …?

Last edited by geoff777 (2012-01-16 09:03:26)

#9 2012-01-16 01:04:40

uli

geoff777 wrote:

Then I apologise to you Uli …

There’s no need for it, but I appreciate it :)

#10 2012-03-11 22:58:10

Nechaev
Website

Bloke wrote:

Once I get some help in doing the new .org site the shiny repository of your dreams can be built upon. There’s a feed available that future textpattern versions can read to find updates. I’ve proved it works ages ago it’s just a case of getting .org live.

Hi Stef,

I also lookеd for a long time for the repo functionality. This way the installation, customising and maintaining process time will be reduced to as short as possible. There is a plugin rss_pluginstaller with similar functionality, unfortunately only for rss-plugins. So I planned a new task to build a new repo and to rewrite this plugin, but not started yet. Much better this functionality will be provided out of the box with a central repository from textpattern.org, where all plugins are stored and kept up to date by their maintainers.

Now I don’t really know, whether I can help you with new .org site, but of course I can help you with the new plugin management concept and development!

Last edited by Nechaev (2012-03-11 23:00:20)

Board footer