Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1945 2012-02-20 13:51:54

els

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

planeth wrote:

It’s on my development server

Are you sure the server configuration couldn’t be interpreted as a subdirectory? Have a look at this post. The only two references to this error I could find are about sites in subdirectories. MLP is known not to work in subdirectories, so if this is the cause, the only way to solve it is to change the setup. A subdomain would be fine.

That’s why my question about setting a .htacces directive to redirect to the french url with a 301 header.

I’m not so sure this is necessary, why would these URLs without language markers ever be requested? Unless they existed previously of course.

#1946 2012-02-20 14:07:42

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Unless they existed previously of course

Yes, in fact. I forgot i stated it in a previous post.
This is a site which has been online for a few years now and my client wants to go multi-languages.
So, yes url without language exist. And of course my client sure does not want to loose his positions in the google SERP

Are you sure the server configuration couldn’t be interpreted as a subdirectory?

Yes it could be. I’ve checked the post you linked but it does not make much sense for me.
I’m running my local server in a XAMPP stack and have set this site according to the wiki install guide, with a <VirtualHost> directive

This is the debug message when debug is set to 1 in _l10n_process_url ()

hu=http://local.lesbacchanales.com/ REQUEST = GET :

string '/cuisine/' (length=9)

array
  'u0' => string '' (length=0)
  'u1' => string 'cuisine' (length=7)
  'u2' => string '' (length=0)
  'u3' => string '' (length=0)
  'u4' => string '' (length=0)

L10N MLP: Public - Checking URL (/cuisine/), LANG = fr-fr
L10N MLP: Checking start of path for language ... cuisine
L10N MLP: expand_code(cuisine) returned

null

L10N MLP: no-match branch

Checking browser accept-language headers.

L10N MLP: processing browser language header :

string 'en-GB,en;q=0.9,da-dk;q=0.8,da;q=0.7,de-de;q=0.6,de;q=0.5,en-us;q=0.4,fr-fr;q=0.3,fr;q=0.2,fr-fr;q=0.1' (length=101)

Setting language to en-gb from browser headers

_l10n_set_browse_language( en ) ... $site_langs=

array
  0 => string 'fr-fr' (length=5)
  1 => string 'en-gb' (length=5)

, $tmp='en-gb' ... in IF() ... $tmp [en-gb] used to set $l10n_language to

string 'en-gb' (length=5)

returning TRUE

Input='en', Site Language set to

array
  'short' => string 'en' (length=2)
  'country' => string 'GB' (length=2)
  'long' => string 'en-gb' (length=5)

Returning

boolean true

New first path is: cuisine

#1947 2012-02-20 14:35:44

els

planeth wrote:

So, yes url without language exist. And of course my client sure does not want to loose his positions in the google SERP

In that case I understand :) If you don’t have too many sections you could do something like this for each section in .htaccess:

Redirect permanent /cuisine http://site.com/fr/cuisine

which will redirect not only /cuisine/ to /fr/cuisine/, but also all other pages in that section. So for instance /cuisine/article-title will go to /fr/cuisine/article-title.
I guess it’s possible to catch all URLs without language marker using regular expressions, but I’m not good at that ;) If you need help with it, you’d better start a new topic in the How do I forum (where it will attract more attention).

This is the debug message

I’m not technical enough to be able to tell you what the debug output means, but my guess is that the error will disappear once you have moved the site to its live location. If it’s working otherwise, I’d ignore it for now if I were you.

Last edited by els (2012-02-20 14:36:41)

#1948 2012-02-20 14:52:22

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks a lot Els for your helpful answer.

And yes, i think i’m gonna go with Redirect permanent , there’s not too many section and i guess it will be much faster than regex.

my guess is that the error will disappear once you have moved the site to its live location. If it’s working otherwise, I’d ignore it for now if I were you.

Yes, that’s a very wise advice :) My bet is also things will smooth out once going live.

Last edited by planeth (2012-02-20 14:52:50)

#1949 2012-02-29 11:05:19

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

Hello (once) again,

this is a comment on what went wrong when going live with MLP.
On the production server, the setup wizard did not create tables for english – the site is french by default.
On admin side the 2 languages where updated.
I did an ugrade (shame on me, i wasn’t running Txp latest version) to no avail.

Finally, I manually edited the ‘al10n_l10n-languages’ entry in txp_prefs table, run once more cleanup/setup wizard and obtain all the right tables.
Is this a known issue of MLP setup wizard not setting the installed languages ?

#1950 2012-04-07 10:42:10

kees-b
Website

Hi all,

Some years ago i made a tri-lingual site for a .nl based arts institution. As budgets are tight these days they want to skip one language. What would be the best MLP practice to do that?

Either remove all articles for that language in MLP and remove the MLP preference for that language, or only do the last. In that case all links are invisible but the articles stay in the database (maybe preserved for better times). Or do they mess up the article list when the MLP lang preference is removed?

I also have to update MLP and txp to 4.4.1. Remove lang before or after updating?

kees

Last edited by kees-b (2012-04-07 10:43:24)

#1951 2012-04-07 10:56:41

datorhaexa
Website

If you make all articles in a given language (by filtering them first and then changing status) hidden, then , from what I recall, the langauge preference will disappear as well, unless you forced it to display even if there are no available renditions in a language. So, hiding should be enough.

I am not sure if there is any difference as to when you do the update (someone should correct me if I’m wrong).

Last edited by datorhaexa (2012-04-07 10:57:46)

#1952 2012-04-07 11:07:25

kees-b
Website

datorhaexa wrote:

If you make all articles in a given language (by filtering them first and then changing status) hidden, then , from what I recall, the langauge preference will disappear as well, unless you forced it to display even if there are no available renditions in a language. So, hiding should be enough.

Yes, that would remove the link for individual articles but not on the front page and the section list pages. It would not be to difficult to remove these too i think.
But I would prefer a solution that preserves allready translated articles for later use and at the same time removes all language link functionality from the front and MLP backend for this language.

-k

Last edited by kees-b (2012-04-07 11:16:36)

#1953 2012-04-07 11:14:19

datorhaexa
Website

What I described will remove articles and the language switch from the front-end. In the back-end, you will still be able to see the articles.

#1954 2012-04-10 08:39:06

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

hi
im using txp 4.4.1, l10n 4.3.0.12
and i do have that strange behavior, that i cant delete articles from the site. i deleted articles from the mlp tab, so they dissapreard from the backend, but not from the site. i deleted them via phpmyadmin now, no problem. but i would never ever lead my client the way to the mysql table :)

i found some very old entries in this forum, but the problem there was, that she/he deleted the stuff in the wrong area. i did not, i already had that problem on another site, so i double checked..

any known issues / fixes for that?
where should i delete my articles..?

#1955 2012-04-10 09:06:31

datorhaexa
Website

Hello Jens,

I had a similar problem ages ago and in that case it was due to a prefix in the DB. I don’t know what your case is, but I hope that’s a clue.

#1956 2012-04-10 09:10:59

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

awww. prefix. thanks for the hint.. i do have prefixes.

Board footer