Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#41 2011-11-25 23:13:51

artagesw
Developer
Website

Re: Working with live and development sites

Regarding the default multi-site configuration…

This configuration (nested sites directory) was provided by default because it was the configuration that would be compatible with the highest number of web hosts. Many cheap web hosts restrict customers from accessing the server’s file system outside of the web server’s document root. In this case, the nested sites directory is the only mechanism available for multi-site.

Personally, I don’t use such restricted hosts and I have never implemented multi-site that way for my own sites. The preferred configuration is to install the Textpattern core files in a single shared location outside of the web server’s document root. Then, to use a separate virtual host directory for each separate site, each of which references the Textpattern core directory via symlinks.

Jukka’s config file trick is clever. But I prefer to have a private configuration directory associated with each site (again, outside of the document root) for config files, etc. This keeps each site independent of all others.

#42 2011-11-29 09:32:41

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

If there is interest, I’ll go into the detail of this setup on a series of posts (here at TXP forum). It’s not that is too complicated to explain (and understand), but, of course, it’s definitely a bit more complicated (but not that much) than a simple TXP install.
Edit: I edited to state that the way TXP currently provides multi-site capabilities is wrong (imho), or better said, it can be done better. I’ll try to provide justification to this statement on some following post.

I am deeply interested in an in-depth tutorial (or what would be the most suitable).
Although i’m using cnk_versioning, I still haven’t wrapped my mind around version control stuff.

And I also find that the multi-site setup quite difficult to handle, especially if you want to use simlinks.

#43 2011-11-29 10:50:07

Destry
Website

You guys — Maniqui — please put this great information in Multi-site installation. It’s absolutely buried from the world in this thread, which isn’t even titled suggestively to what you’re sharing. Purdy please?

If everyone has a different approach, no big deal… create new sections in the page that describes the different tacs. I’ll even edit the page for conciseness, organization, etc… just get the goods in there.

Ed. And notice on the wiki home page the link is prominent under “Installation”. The page can then be cross-referenced with the file tree docs, etc.

Last edited by Destry (2011-11-29 10:52:48)

#44 2011-11-29 12:40:51

Algaris

@Bloke. Thank you for posting your script. It’ll be very useful.
btw if you happened to buy a Mac last Friday you’d have got a hefty discount due to Apples Black Friday sale. That’s how I got mine a few years back, along with using Quidco to get a nice chunk of cash back.

maniqui wrote:

My nickname was mentioned more than 3 times, therefore, I have been summoned.

Kind of like summoning the Devil, only we don’t loose our soul ;-)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post in this thread. There’s a huge wealth of information to work though here. It’s a little overwhelming to wrap my head round it all.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said on the development side. Keeping all of that out of the database is a big help and cnk_versioning is a godsend in this respect (I just hope that someone will take the time to adopt and maintain it).

Now if only there was an easy way to work with content (articles, etc) as you mentioned.

maniqui wrote:

version your code, even if you are doing work in solo-mode. May this be a great opportunity to learn some modern DVCS like Git (this website will really help you if you are a bit afraid: http://gitimmersion.com/).

This is something I have been looking into after struggling to keep two branches in sync and then having to write off my main development branch and start again.

I’m not very good with the Terminal and find little joy in using it which is why I was considering using GIT Tower (http://www.git-tower.com). I’m assuming from Jakob’s posts this should be able to fit into a similar workflow to yours?

Is it possible to host my main repository on my Mac (or even a virtual Windows server that the IT department set up to host my development work)? What are the benefits of externally hosting using services like Beanstalk as opposed to hosting your own repository?

maniqui wrote:

If there is interest, I’ll go into the detail of this setup on a series of posts (here at TXP forum). It’s not that is too complicated to explain (and understand), but, of course, it’s definitely a bit more complicated (but not that much) than a simple TXP install.

If you have the time I really would be interested in learning more about your setup.

#45 2011-11-29 13:15:46

jakob
Website

Kind of like summoning the Devil…

No, no, he’s a genie.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#46 2011-11-30 02:04:50

jstubbs
Website

Destry wrote:

You guys — Maniqui — please put this great information in Multi-site installation. It’s absolutely buried from the world in this thread, which isn’t even titled suggestively to what you’re sharing. Purdy please?

I just came across this thread myself. Will you be sending this tutorial to TXP Tips, maniqui?

TXP Tips | @txptips | Me | @jonathanstubbs | Github

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp @txpbuilders

#47 2012-02-17 08:14:38

jakob
Website

I’m not very good with the Terminal and find little joy in using it which is why I was considering using GIT Tower.

Ross, if you haven’t plumped for it already, it’s available at 25% off until the end of Feb -> http://www.git-tower.com.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#48 2012-02-17 08:18:09

Algaris

Interesting. I wonder if that 25% will stack with the educational discount. Thanks for pointing this out.

#49 2012-02-17 08:50:35

Destry
Website

artagesw wrote:

This is exactly the sort of problem that Escher’s branch feature solves – and which I hope to see adopted in Textpattern 5.

Indeed.

Board footer