Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-01-26 13:22:34

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

A different entry to "h3 Article Image" and "label Article Image"

On the Write tab, the group title “Article Image” and the label “Article Image” uses the same txp_lang table entry: “article_image”.

And I propose to create a new entry for the group title (h3.collapsible). Why?

• To be consistent with the rest of the page. The group title are generic and a group must be able to accommodate multiple form fields.
    Today, the group “Article image” is limited to accommodate only the field with same name.
  • To rename the group title, without affecting the label! I would like to rename the title in “attached to article” and add to this group (eg with bot_wtc.) custom fields to attach files, video, photo gallery, etc.. But today, this group can be renamed without affecting the label.

#2 2012-01-26 15:51:23

redbot
Plugin Author

Re: A different entry to "h3 Article Image" and "label Article Image"

Hi sacripant,
a workaround is to move all these fields (images, files,video etc) under the custom fields group, rename it with wet_babble and hide the image group altogeter. All this using bot_wtc.

Last edited by redbot (2012-01-26 15:52:40)

#3 2012-01-26 17:59:53

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

@Redbot

Exact. But
The objective of my request is not that I can’t do it, but to correct incoherence in the “write”.

Why, with WetBabble I can change titles of groups but not for “Article Image” group ?
For me, it’s like a bug. It is not logical, it is a exeption that has no reason to exist.

Edit: Change the title of the group “Custom Field” will also change the title “Custom Field” of the pref tab.
Customize write tab is tampering

To facilitate the customization of titles groups, their value should not be used in other tabs. No ?

#4 2012-01-26 18:25:22

redbot
Plugin Author

sacripant wrote:

…The objective of my request is not that I can’t do it, but to correct incoherence in the “write”.

Yes I agree, I was only suggesting a temporary workaround

Edit: Change the title of the group “Custom Field” will also change the title “Custom Field” of the pref tab.
Customize write tab is tampering

You are right – i didn’t realize it because I’m using glz_custom_fields which removes custom fields from preferences.

To facilitate the customization of titles groups, their value should not be used in other tabs. No ?

Agree again. Actually I would change sligthly the “write” tab html this way:

1. remove the image group altogether as it contains only one field so collapsing is unnecessary
  2. remove the custom field group too because in makes no sense at all from a user perspective: only the site developer can understand why they are called “custom fields”

#5 2012-01-26 18:54:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

sacripant wrote:

Change the title of the group “Custom Field” will also change the title “Custom Field”

You’re right. That and the article image label should be unique strings.

redbot wrote:

remove the image group altogether as it contains only one field so collapsing is unnecessary

One reason it’s there is for consistency of presentation. If you have all items in groups except one, it’ll look odd.

There’s also a second reason: just because there’s only one item there now (in the core), it doesn’t mean it’ll always be that way. Plugin authors coiuld utilise the twisty to house other image-related things (incidentally, something I’m working on does just this).

remove the custom field group too because in makes no sense at all from a user perspective: only the site developer can understand why they are called “custom fields”

That’s unfortunately true, and something I didn’t consider when I made those changes. Note that if you remove all custom field names then the entire group is hidden. And again, there needed to be some place to put them instead of cluttering up the Advanced Options, which equally didn’t make sense.

I’m open to ideas on what to actually label the group, but I do believe it needs a group of some description for the same reason as above: it’d just look weird on its own floating in the sidebar.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2012-01-26 19:23:39

redbot
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

…One reason it’s there is for consistency of presentation. If you have all items in groups except one, it’ll look odd.

Yes Bloke you are right, this is an issue I didn’t mention that maybe can be worked out on the presentational side (probably a bit tricky but I think its doable)

There’s also a second reason: just because there’s only one item there now (in the core), it doesn’t mean it’ll always be that way. Plugin authors coiuld utilise the twisty to house other image-related things (incidentally, something I’m working on does just this).

Yes it could be a valid scenario. For the record I usually change the custom field group name to “Media” and put in there “article Image”, “files” (using bot_file_upload) , “video” and occasionally one or more image gallery fields (using bot_image_upload)

…That’s unfortunately true, and something I didn’t consider when I made those changes…. And again, there needed to be some place to put them instead of cluttering up the Advanced Options, which equally didn’t make sense.

I understand this is not a simple task considering also that each site has his own specific needs. That’s the reason why I wrote bot_wtc.
Should I come up with a better idea I’ll let you know anyway.

#7 2012-01-30 13:28:34

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Scuse me revive this thread. But I’m not really understand if Bloke responded to my request.

To allow better customization of the write tab I think we should :

• A separate entrance for the title “Item Image” and the label “Item Image”.
  • That all entries are used only for this tab. To prevent the customization have an impact on other tabs.

The tab “write” is the one who asks, on a project basis, the most customization.

My idea is consistent?
These changes are they feasible, possible? For Txp 4.5?

Board footer