You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2011-11-14 12:33:10

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: smd_browse_by: browse articles, images, files and links by category

masa wrote:

I’m not sure everybody would need all 4 selects in the articles tab

The select lists available at the moment are configurable (albeit via a hidden pref right now) in the beta. I might expose that in a prefs page at some point, but it adds a lot of code overhead so I’ll leave it for now. When I add the new ones I’ll extend the prefs to include those so you can configure which ones you see.

I think the logical place for the selects is right underneath the respective column label

Brilliant. That’s so obvious I’m ashamed I never thought of it myself. If I can make them discreet enough it shouldn’t take up much vertical real estate and hopefully won’t look too odd if you only decide to permit filtering by one of the selects (imagine your mockup with only one dropdown under Category, for instance).

The only slight issue might be that people may think the filters are additive, which of course they’re not: they are mutually exclusive. Do you think that’s a possible problem? If so, is it fixable?

Many thanks for the mockup and idea. I’m sure this avenue has legs and can be put to great use.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2011-11-14 12:44:55

masa

Bloke wrote:

The only slight issue might be that people may think the filters are additive, which of course they’re not: they are mutually exclusive. Do you think that’s a possible problem? If so, is it fixable?

Well, I don’t know, whether that would complicate things too much, but when I first looked at my finished mockup, my immediate reaction was “Wouldn’t it be nice, if you could filter by more than one select?”

So would that be possible to do?

#23 2011-11-14 12:47:24

Bloke
Developer
Website

masa wrote:

Wouldn’t it be nice, if you could filter by more than one select?

Yes it would! Unfortunately Txp’s built-in filter feature — upon which this plugin sits — is set up to only allow filtering by one thing at a time. It would require some core changes to enable this :-(

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern.

#24 2011-11-14 12:58:29

masa

Never mind then, you still have the option of sorting by column label.
Although I guess, you’re right in that users might assume it would work.

Bloke wrote:

If I can make them discreet enough it shouldn’t take up much vertical real estate and hopefully won’t look too odd if you only decide to permit filtering by one of the selects.

You’re right, I don’t see a problem with a bit of blank space as a trade off. I haven’t tried it, but perhaps giving the table row in which the column labels and the selects live a pale bg colour would sort of make it look neater.

#25 2011-11-14 23:49:24

tye
Website

I like masa’s solution too :) – but am just wondering what would happen to the table layout if you had a long names in the drop downs… would it break the layout or can you fix that with css?

#26 2011-11-15 00:00:39

Bloke
Developer
Website

tye wrote:

what would happen to the table layout if you had a long names in the drop downs

It’d probably get bigger! And my CSS-fu isn’t that clever to fix it.

One other drawback I just figured of this layout is that you have to have Show Detail on to be able to filter by cat. As it stands you can filter by category without actually seeing the categories on the screen, which is an advantage for small displays. Hmmmmm. Any clever ideas anyone?

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-15 00:00:59)

#27 2011-11-15 00:05:56

tye
Website

ok – back to thinking board for me

#28 2011-11-15 00:14:15

masa

Bloke wrote:

One other drawback I just figured of this layout is that you have to have Show Detail on to be able to filter by cat. As it stands you can filter by category without actually seeing the categories on the screen, which is an advantage for small displays.

I was hoping I could sneak this one past you somehow ;)

Any clever ideas anyone?

Couldn’t the categories be displayed by default?

I had noticed that the selects get wider the longer your cat names are or the deeper they’re nested, but I thought there’s a way to limit the select element’s width e.g. max-width?!

#29 2011-11-15 00:23:37

tye
Website

masa wrote:

I thought there’s a way to limit the select element’s width e.g. max-width?!

I haven’t tested in a while – but IE (surprize surprize) used to have a huge problem with this – it would make the select and dropdown to the set width, truncating any options which were longer than the width :(

#30 2011-11-15 10:34:00

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

@ Masa: great idea

@ Bloke:

I never understood why there is a pagination? Why limit the number of results? 15 – 50 – 100?

Why not show all by default, even if 1000 results. I can understand for images: too many thumbnails to display. But for the articles, files and links, I see no advantage.

If there are all results.

• It is possible to use the search function of the browser.
  • It’s easier to just scroll to find. Rather than combine “next page” + scroll, “next page” scroll, etc..
  • It is possible to filter with Javascript (jQuery) without server request.
  • It is possible to filter with multiple criteria (allways with jquery).

I wish this plugin provides an option to remove the pagination and return all results.

what is your opinion?

Board footer