Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-08-22 17:16:53

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: New Plugin Idea. Questions to community...

rsilletti wrote:

A pattern that always seems to emerge when folks specify their desires on a site is event management. <snip>

Thanks Rick, noted.

Stef wrote:

I like the idea of post-install options / instructions, even if it’s just a brief hunk of info displayed after the summary result sheet

Yes, that’s on the to-do list.

Techie aside: Regarding insertions into pages, should be possible to do insertions into pages & forms that sed_patterns is about to install as the content of those will be known to the pattern author. Authors could add insertion markers that are just HTML comments into those two types. Something like…

<txp:some_tag>
  <!-- insert.smd_ipn If you want IPN integration, replace this comment with smd_ipn tags. -->
</txp:some_tag>

sed_patterns can do a preg_replace on the entire comment using a regex that targets the ‘<!— insert.smd_ipn’ as the start of the marker. Such a comment can still be understood by folks reading the code if the insertion fails or if an optional insertion is skipped — kind of self-documenting. Insertions into pages & forms that are pre-existing in the installation, where sed_patterns has no knowledge of the contents, is not ground I will be straying onto.

jpdupont wrote:

A. Install 4 admin plugin like adi_notes, bot_write_tab_customize, smd_thumbnails, smd_macros

That should be possible.

B. Fill these plugins tables with pre-made customisations : <snip>

Hmm. Not something I’d initially thought of. I don’t see why a simple SQL import couldn’t be included, or a simple integration (.php) file that adds the data. However, I’d guess that this would be a pretty subjective set of customisations that would probably be more suited to individual use rather than community use. Still, in principle, I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

Zanza wrote:

A pattern for image galleries or img+some html text sliders? <snip>

Thanks Zanza, gallery pattern on the list. I guess there could be many versions of this one.

Steve

#14 2011-08-23 06:35:38

tye
Website

I like the idea of this… and hope I’ve understood it correctly – are you are after patterns of plugin installations which would make workflow life easier… if so.

How about one for a Client Admin customisation – something along the lines of:

bot_file_upload
bot_image_upload
bot_privs
bot_write_tab_customize
glz_custom_fields – not sure about this as it is paid
hak_tinymce
jbx_multiple_image_upload
jmd_dashboard (or smd_tabber, another one which Stef snuck past me)
rah_sitemap
smd_prefalizer
smd_where_used
msd_piwik_dashboard

The possibility of patterns for this are endless… is that the sort of thing you were after, or have I got it wrong?

(ps – whats smd_ipn?)

Last edited by tye (2011-08-23 07:26:03)

#15 2011-08-23 09:02:31

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

tye wrote:

I like the idea of this… and hope I’ve understood it correctly – are you are after patterns of plugin installations which would make workflow life easier… if so.

It certainly can include groups of plugins — but — it doesn’t have to be limited to just plugins. Many plugins require additional things (like forms, images, sections etc) in order to do their thing properly, sed_patterns allows you to install the plugins plus all the extras. It won’t be able to insert tags (from the new plugins) into your existing pages or forms but it could break out the required tags into a new form that it installs, meaning that all you need to do to complete integration into your site would be to add…

<txp:output_form name="some_patterns_form">

…into one of your page templates.

How about one for a Client Admin customisation – <snip>

You’re the second to suggest something along these lines, so noted :)

The possibility of patterns for this are endless… is that the sort of thing you were after, or have I got it wrong?

Pretty much endless in the detail but in reality, I think there are several common problems that could use a neatly bundled solution — I hope sed_patterns can allow those bundles to be built and utilised.

(ps – whats smd_ipn?)

It is one of Stef’s more recent plugins that handles PayPal instant payment notifications (IPNs.)

Steve

#16 2011-08-23 09:08:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

(ps – whats smd_ipn?)

OT: Work in progress. Found some shortcomings with it today when trying to iterate over purchased items so I’m writing some better tags for it to take out the drudgery of doing common things like checking that the prices tally up and the products exist in the database, etc.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer