Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-08-09 20:52:50

uli

Re: sed_default_article_status

Says on the tin:

it only needs to be installed and active (turned on) to work.

Cool! That’s what I want. (Default: Pending.)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#14 2011-08-09 21:34:41

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

uli wrote:

Says on the tin: “it only needs to be installed and active (turned on) to work.”

Ah, that needs a little re-write on the help page as it’s a left-over from Destry’s initial pub plugin. Thanks for catching that. Edited to add Done: To opening post for links

Cool! That’s what I want. (Default: Pending.)

Ok, votes so far are…

live 1 (philwareham)
pending 1 (uli)
hidden 0
draft 2 (merz1, joebaich)

Any others?

Last edited by net-carver (2011-08-10 10:20:46)

Steve

#15 2011-08-10 02:26:07

joebaich
Website

+1 Draft (or should that be Draught :-) ?)

#16 2011-08-10 10:23:58

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

I’m tempted to remove live from the running. After all, you’d not need to install the plugin if you wanted that as your default :)

Phil: If that were the case, how would you vote?

Steve

#17 2011-08-10 10:40:52

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Well… there are two opposite arguments I guess:

From a UX perspective it’s always best, when adding new features to an app, to leave any preference affected by that new feature at it’s default (in this case ‘live’), and from there the user can modify to a new setting if they wish.

But since this is an additional plugin that someone has to manually install anyway, I guess it would be OK to move the default to a different setting on install. My vote would be ‘draft’ in this case.

#18 2011-08-10 12:46:00

merz1
Website

Help text: After installation and activation article status draft (<- link to article status help) is the active default setting for saving a new article. This setting is changeable via extended preferences under publishing.

Help text: sed_default_article_status is a Textpattern wide setting and can not be set to a different individual value for every user.

Q: Btw … Which user roles are affected?

I’m tempted to remove live from the running.

Don’t :) I see screaming authors who want to switch back & forth eg when hammering out batches of announcements but want to have ‘draft’ for the deeper thoughts on 42.

Last edited by merz1 (2011-08-10 12:49:21)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#19 2011-08-10 17:58:45

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

merz1 wrote:

Don’t :) I see screaming authors who want to switch back & forth eg when hammering out batches of announcements but want to have ‘draft’ for the deeper thoughts on 42.

Hi Markus, when I said “remove live from the running” I was only talking about options for the initial value of the pref when the plugin is enabled for the first time. Live will still remain in the list of choices so it can be changed.

Help text: After installation and activation article status draft (<- link to article status help) is the active default setting for saving a new article. This setting is changeable via extended preferences under publishing.

Help text: sed_default_article_status is a Textpattern wide setting and can not be set to a different individual value for every user.

Thanks for the suggestions. Once the final functionality is agreed and in place, I’ll revisit the help page for a tidy-up.

@philwareham Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep that in mind & I’ll leave your vote where it is for now.

Steve

#20 2011-09-26 15:52:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I seem to be having a conflict between this plugin and arc_twitter. When they are both active I get the article status radio buttons displaying twice on the write page. Weird.

#21 2015-05-12 11:00:17

Destry
Website

+1 for “Draft” status as default. It follows a fundamental editorial workflow. That’s why I (with Blokes help) created the original plugin, to fix backwards behavior that core has.

+1 that this is built directly into core. (4.6?)

Nobody, qualitatively speaking, should immediately publish anything live until the draft has had a couple goings over first. I think any writer would tell you — despite what is convention conceived by a dev/designer — is that you draft first, save, revise, save, revise again, perhaps, then publish live after it’s ready.

Are you a shooter? Think of it as a gun. You don’t give a loaded pistol to anyone with the safety off in case they shoot their foot while taking it. Let them feel the weight and handling, then when comfortable, turn safety off.

Or to think of it another way… Opt in (to publish your mistakes “live”), not out. Plus, it’s a good way to get new users to look at the preferences and think about what’s there.

My two cents.

#22 2015-05-12 11:15:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #290685:

Opt in (to publish your mistakes “live”), not out.

I’m of this opinion too. How about a pref for “Default publishing status”, set to Draft on new installations, but which retains your current setting on upgrade from 4.5.x to avoid any surprises? Github issue raised to track this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#23 2015-07-08 14:34:06

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #290685:

Nobody, qualitatively speaking, should immediately publish anything live until the draft has had a couple goings over first. I think any writer would tell you — despite what is convention conceived by a dev/designer — is that you draft first, save, revise, save, revise again, perhaps, then publish live after it’s ready.

The obvious exception being instant gratification bloggers who want to Write, Publish and Be Damned.

I haven’t done extensive research into this, so take this with plenty of salt, but I would hazard a guess to say that many or most blogging-centric CMSes put an article live as soon as publish is clicked or tapped.

#24 2015-07-08 15:30:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #292867:

I would hazard a guess to say that many or most blogging-centric CMSes put an article live as soon as publish is clicked or tapped.

Yeah probably. So having the option/pref to move to a more structured publishing methodology is a good thing, right? Maybe we stick with Live as default, and you can just set your preferred status from prefs if you don’t like it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer