Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2011-07-28 20:47:16

Destry
Website

Re: [wiki] TXP (written copy) Style Guide

I agree with the setting a precedent part as far as it goes for authoring. But, I’m less concerned about SEO for SEO’s sake; rather I more concerned for human understanding and the content being properly marked up.

I mean we could (and probably should) be doing things like this when a link label itself is not written out fully for whatever reason:

• <abbr title="Textpattern CMS">TXP</abbr>
  • <a href="#" title="Textpattern CMS User Documentation">TXP User Docs</a>

But again, it demands a constant use of abbreviation, not just what anybody feels like using.

How about using this? Textpattern CMS User Docs I think it’s a lot less confusing to abbreviate “documentation” than to drop “user”.

#50 2011-07-28 20:53:40

Destry
Website

Of course, we could say Textpattern User Docs and it’s shorter still without losing any brand identity. Remember, it’s about context. So if a link reads like this one, and then brings a person to a page where they see Textpattern CMS somewhere. It’s fine. It’s in context. People will make the mental cross-over easily enough. ‘Oh, this thing is a CMS…cool’.

#51 2011-07-28 21:00:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Textpattern CMS User Docs works for me. I’ll go with that unless someone provides a valid argument against.

#52 2011-07-29 05:06:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

An intermission from the balcony: When Textbook was still titled “Textbook”, one did not find it on the first Google page for “textpattern documentation” or “textpattern manual”. This is bad UX. SEO ist important.

#53 2011-07-29 08:52:13

Destry
Website

For the record, I didn’t say SEO wasn’t important (and natural referencing is a more important than black hat tricks). I said it was less important to me than human understanding, meaning people before machines. (Somebody has to care.)

Aside from the clever kitsch, “TextBook” was probably the worst thing the wiki could have been named, in retrospect, because as far as Google was concerned a “texbook” was some big academic hardcover book used in universities. There’s no way the docs for a lowly O-source project was going to compete in rankings on that.

Under the same thinking, “CMS” is a fairly diluted ranking word too, but I guess combined with the name it does provide more distinguishing weight.

The issue, here, though, if I understand correctly, was how to use link text in a clear way (not how the metadata was used). If I’m wrong, then Phil needs to explain better what he means. I think we all agree “Textpattern” is better than “TXP”, and “TXP CMS” looks stupid. But for comprehension about what the wiki is, I think “user” was an important word to not lose. It’s fairly understood that “docs” means “documentation” so that was a safe change, IMO.

#54 2011-07-29 09:00:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

My discussion was purely for the external links that appear in the default install of Textpattern (to replace the current “Textbook” link) – I think that “Textpattern CMS User Docs” is fine just for that – and obviously keep the actual website title and references elsewhere as the full title of “Textpattern CMS User Documentation”.

My aversion to using TXP as an abbreviation in those links is that it would encourage people to constantly refer to Textpattern as TXP when writing articles and suchlike – which has no SEO benefit for the project.

Hope I’ve explained myself a bit better now.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-07-29 09:03:36)

#55 2011-07-29 09:09:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

For the use case Phil raises (an external link in the default Textpattern site template), I prefer the full thing: Textpattern CMS User Documentation (space isn’t at such a premium price in that template, no matter how you turn it). ‘Docs’ has a cheap sound to it.

When I first raised the issue upthread, I was explicitly referring to a link in the TXP admin interface.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#56 2011-07-29 09:30:07

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Philiippe, I know you were talking about the admin side directly, but from a purely aesthetic point of view “Textpattern CMS User Documentation” is just so much longer than, for example, “Textpattern CMS Plugins” so any saving in characters that could balance that out a bit better would be nice. And I felt that ‘user’ is superfluous anyway.

People searching for instructions on how to use Textpattern are likely going to type “textpattern documentation” into their search engine.

#57 2011-07-29 10:35:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

… from a purely aesthetic point of view “Textpattern CMS User Documentation” is just so much longer than, for example, “Textpattern CMS Plugins” so any saving in characters that could balance that out a bit better would be nice. And I felt that ‘user’ is superfluous anyway.

the ‘User’ could be dropped, no objection(s) about that.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#58 2011-07-29 11:28:39

Destry
Website

Which one of these do you want?

• Textpattern CMS Documentation
  • Textpattern CMS User Docs

Whatever is decided is how it will remain in the style guide from here on.

Ed. Note if it’s the first, then anywhere “User Documentation” is currently used (like the forum, etc.) should be changed, again, to just “Documentation”, which would be consistent with the name on the wiki home page.

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-29 11:32:46)

#59 2011-07-29 11:31:50

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Textpattern CMS Documentation

#60 2011-07-29 11:33:34

Destry
Website

Decided.

Relevant section in style guide updated.

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-29 11:50:56)

Board footer