Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2011-01-21 14:16:36

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: A New Default Theme for Textpattern - Request for Proposals

Does anyone else feel that the category names “Hope for the Future” and “Meaningful Labor” have outlived their usefulness? I always delight in deleting and/or renaming them every time I do an install.

I just don’t think they do anything to “reduce the TXP learning curve.”

#62 2011-01-21 16:13:44

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote:

Does anyone else feel that the category names “Hope for the Future” and “Meaningful Labor” have outlived their usefulness? I always delight in deleting and/or renaming them every time I do an install.

I just don’t think they do anything to “reduce the TXP learning curve.”

They could probably be renamed to better illustrate their purposes.

…. texted postive

#63 2011-07-25 12:19:44

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

Does anyone else feel that the category names “Hope for the Future” and “Meaningful Labor” have outlived their usefulness? I always delight in deleting and/or renaming them every time I do an install. I just don’t think they do anything to “reduce the TXP learning curve.”

+1

I think there’s a place you’re supposed to suggest this stuff, officially, but I can never remember where. It’s not in forum threads. That I know for sure.

#64 2011-07-25 13:19:41

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote:

I think there’s a place you’re supposed to suggest this stuff, officially, but I can never remember where. It’s not in forum threads. That I know for sure.

That wasn’t a suggestion, just a solicitation for feedback. :) But if we can figure out where to suggest it, I will be glad to do so.

#65 2011-07-25 13:28:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote:

if we can figure out where to suggest it, I will be glad to do so.

You could raise it as an issue I guess, although it’s not technically a bug in the classic sense. If you don’t think that’s appropriate, this Feature Ideas forum is as good as any place.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#66 2011-07-25 13:34:35

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

“Hope for the Future”

“Meaningful Labor”

Can someone enlighten me as to what these actually mean, or why?

You might want to also suggest the following…

1. Link ‘TextBook’ becomes ‘Textpattern CMS User Documentation’, or maybe ‘Textpattern CMS Documentation’ which I prefer as it’s slightly shorter (not sure what Destry thinks of that) and is second in the list of links
  2. Link ‘Textpattern’ becomes ‘Textpattern CMS’ and is first in the lists of links
  3. Link ‘Txp Resources’ becomes “Textpattern CMS Plugins” and stays third in the links list
  4. A new link ‘Textpattern CMS Themes’ is added as a forth link (links to Textgarden)
  5. All references in the example article that is part of the default install also follow that naming convention
  6. Maybe the <h3> subheading in the example article becomes a <h2> instead, as I’ve had a couple of comments that it would be better for outlining (my opinion from the HTML outlining documents I’ve read in the past week is that it’s fine as is for HTML5 but for XHTML/HTML4 that rule should be followed, so we might as well change it).

Last edited by philwareham (2011-07-25 13:35:06)

#67 2011-07-25 13:42:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Actually, thinking on point 6 of my list above, I’ve noticed in the TXP4 templates the HTML outline is completely wrong anyway – the article heading and the subheading both share a <h3> tag – so maybe something to change for TXP5 instead.

So for HTML5 we have, for example, this semantic outline…

<header>
    <h1>My site</h1>
</header>
<article>
    <h1>Welcome to your site!</h1>
    <h2>What do you want to do next?</h2>
    <p>Blah blah blah...</p>
</article>

Last edited by philwareham (2011-07-25 13:46:56)

#68 2011-07-25 13:52:52

Destry
Website

Destry wrote:

I think there’s a place you’re supposed to suggest this stuff, officially, but I can never remember where.

This is what I was thinking of, but that was for TxB references specifically, so never mind.

#69 2011-07-25 15:39:52

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

“Hope for the Future” “Meaningful Labor” Can someone enlighten me as to what these actually mean, or why?

They are left over from the early code – like the lofi template. Dean just put them in as placeholders. I understand why, but just don’t think they serve that purpose particularly well.

Link ‘Txp Resources’ becomes “Textpattern CMS Plugins” and stays third in the links list

I am hoping that at some point that site can be drastically redone. The fact that the design clashes so much with everything else doesn’t impress anyone. And I think it would also make sense to remove all non-plugin content. There is a much better place for that, which leads me to…

• Link ‘Textpattern CMS Tutorials” is added to the links list and lists to http://txptips.com/

#70 2011-07-25 15:59:36

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote:

Link ‘Textpattern CMS Tutorials” is added to the links list and lists to http://txptips.com/

Good idea, I’ve put that into my theme demo just for completeness.

#71 2011-07-25 16:03:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

michaelkpate wrote:

I am hoping that at some point that site can be drastically redone. The fact that the design clashes so much with everything else doesn’t impress anyone. And I think it would also make sense to remove all non-plugin content. There is a much better place for that

It was 75% done, then I ran out of good people to help me with the UI, then the server migration happened and it’s fallen off the map.

Rest assured, the .org site will only contain plugins when it’s evnetually relaunched. All other non-plugin content is to be rehomed or binned archived depending on usefulness.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#72 2011-07-25 19:32:14

jstubbs
Website

As jakob indicated in this post we have a few framework templates/themes that we aim to release quite soon. Actually should already have been released, but I fried the templates in cnk_versioning after a faulty install…

The themes aim to be slot-in solutions for a variety of user scenarios, and are designed to replace the default templates in a clean install (but could also be used by advanced users as a framework).

If they are welcomed by the community, then the themes can be optional replacements for the current default theme. I realise that Phil has been doing some excellent work on recreating the default theme, so anything we release will add choice to those who want it.

It would certainly be a good idea to create themes based on similar markup, at least for the default theme.

After frying the themes on our test site, I started from scratch and now aim to add more features – responsive design etc etc. Hopefully will be done in a week or two.

Board footer