Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-07-21 16:48:23

Destry
Website

Re: [wiki] [RESOLVED] Wiki images...gone? The wiki gone?

hakjoon wrote:

As someone who was the wiki upgrader for a while MW is a pain for something that isn’t your main focus.

I whole-heartedly concur about the upgrader role.

As for Dokuwiki, what about the presentation front?

Every DokuWiki site I’ve ever seen/used has been horrible in the usability/design department (DWiki’s website makes me cringe, and their template options aren’t much better.) I don’t know if that’s because owners don’t care, don’t know what they’re doing, or the system is limited, but I wouldn’t advocate a move for something that’s not equally customizable on the presentation side. That goes for text presentation control too (code, pre, whatever). Textile (or not) is irrelevant.

If it’s going to be a “website” kind of environment, it needs to be able to theme like the wiki is now (or anything else under the sun). Otherwise, a document approach (a la Goog docs) is the way to go (skip presentation altogether for the document paradigm and save a lot of headache).

Which reminds me of something…

gaekwad wrote:

but [Goog docs] could be misinterpreted as being a bit ‘low rent’ when viewed alongside a professional, stable CMS like Textpattern.

I don’t really agree on this particular point. In fact, my observation in the professional circles is quite the opposite. We could in fact be pioneering what a lot of other CMS projects might eventually do (content volume a factor, of course).

At any rate, I’ll actually try and upgrade wiki by end of weekend and hope the site doesn’t explode.

Wow, thanks, Ruud! :)

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-21 16:50:07)

#14 2011-07-21 17:55:34

hakjoon
Website

Sorry I didn’t mean to say we should use DokuWiki. I’ve never used it so i have no idea how much of pain it is or isn’t. I just know it has very infrequent releases which is nice for something in textbook’s capacity since maintaining the documentation’s software is not the main focus.

How about something source control powered like the way github’s wiki pages work? Too much friction? Too hard for the non-technical?

In some ways it would be kind of nice to have something with a simple templateable front end that read static textile files in some sort of DVCS. People can fork and send pull requests to update docs, translation efforts can be simply forks of the projects.

That might be too hard for people not comfortable with version control though, and I don’t know of any php tools that do this. hmm could be an interesting TXP plugin.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#15 2011-07-21 19:15:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

Wasn’t Bert developing a Tag Reference in Txp?

Look at my sig ;)

As for DokuWiki, I like it because it’s very easy to upgrade to a new stable version, akin to Textpattern. Also, it uses flat files, so you can create your content offline in a text editor, then upload it to the server. I’m not advocating a change from MW to DW, just saying why I like to use it.

#16 2011-07-22 12:47:50

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Upgrading MediaWiki wasn’t that difficult really. I’ve only done it once now, but it wasn’t updated for several years, went from .12 to .17

#17 2011-07-22 12:58:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote:

I don’t really agree on this particular point. In fact, my observation in the professional circles is quite the opposite. We could in fact be pioneering what a lot of other CMS projects might eventually do (content volume a factor, of course).

I have an aversion to cloud storage, if I’m honest – it’s a personal thing. I appreciate that the infrastructure for Google Docs is good, but with my paranoia hat on, what’s to say they won’t have a data problem and lose a load of documents, or someone clicks the wrong link and deletes a document after a late night in front of a computer? Google Code hosts the Textpattern code base, and that’s great – but it’s a snip to copy everything down over SVN and have a backup, just in case Bad Stuff happens. It’s far easier to backup a website if you have the keys to it…which you don’t with Google Docs (unless I’m missing something obvious). Yes, granted, it’s more work to maintain and monitor, but having full control is a wonderful thing.

All that said, I am not militant in my opinions and – frankly – I’m platform-agnostic as long as it works OK. My priorities are coupled with the content and the presentation in that order…but if it’s a ballache to edit/contribute then folks might be scared off.

#18 2011-07-22 14:59:37

Destry
Website

ruud wrote:

Upgrading MediaWiki wasn’t that difficult really.

No, it’s not. But for whatever reason, it always shifts to the bottom of the can.

gaekwad wrote:

I appreciate that the infrastructure for Google Docs is good, but with my paranoia hat on, what’s to say they won’t have a data problem and lose a load of documents, or someone clicks the wrong link and deletes a document after a late night in front of a computer?

Cloud is not without concerns, not doubt. But I’m pretty confident in Google over, say, Dropbox. :/

In any case, I’ve been tooling around a bit with Google Sites, and I think that would actually be a better solution than Goog Docs. I’m not saying this is the direction we’re going, I’m just exploring out of curiosity, because I might ultimately use this site for client documentation. Here’s a screenshot of a site I put together today with the general docs in mind (the left column wasn’t finished and the bottom is cutoff)…

As I was building it, I had the wiki home page in mind, obviously. I liked what was happening there, so I put a mockup together, which would be very easy to do in the current wiki. The concept is still missing a couple of things I have in mind, but it gives you an idea of the direction…

Moved to proper thread.

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-22 15:22:59)

#19 2011-07-22 15:08:49

Destry
Website

#20 2011-07-22 15:21:43

hakjoon
Website

Destry wrote:

ruud wrote:

Upgrading MediaWiki wasn’t that difficult really.

No, it’s not. But for whatever reason, it always shifts to the bottom of the can.

Everyone I ever did was agiant suck of an entire week. The upgrade scripts used to not run on the old servers we were on. There was always template problems. Glad it got easier.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#21 2011-07-22 18:15:55

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

The ‘/user/local/bin/convert’ error message is now fixed. It just required setting the correct path to the convert program: /usr/local/bin/convert ;)

I don’t see any images missing on the front page (hammer/chisel logo at the top, the “hand tooled” thingie at the bottom left and the three button/banner icons bottom right).

The gallery probably looks different because it used to be at:
http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Newimages
But that now redirects to:
http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Special:NewFiles
Seems mostly a presentation issue, which you may be able to fix with a new style sheet.

Last edited by ruud (2011-07-22 18:16:08)

#22 2011-07-22 18:46:43

Destry
Website

Ruud, awesome. Thanks for fixing the images.

I’ll dip into the styles pretty soon.

Board footer