Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-07-06 12:46:42

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

[request] register without email

I seem to remember a recent plugin which registers new authors without the need of emailing logins/pws.

I’ve been searching for it and can’t find it. Did I dream it:)?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2011-07-06 13:11:30

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [request] register without email

colak wrote:

I seem to remember a recent plugin which registers new authors without the need of emailing logins/pws.

If we are talking about admin-side extensions, there is rah_change_passwords. It fits your description is a sense. It allows choosing any passwords for any user, but it doesn’t itself create users. You would need to create the user first (using Textpattern’s Admin pane) and then choose the password using the plugin.

If you meant client-side registration plugins, then unfortunately I don’t remember any recent plugins that would allow users to register and let ‘em choose their own password. In fact the only out-of-the-box “just for self-service registration” plugin I can remember is mem_self_register.

#3 2011-07-06 14:01:39

colak
Admin

Hi Jukka,

It was your plugin that I saw but unfortunately it does not help for what we need it for.

The problem: We are trying to create links to those authors whose submitted texts were accepted. For now we only accept texts via an online submission form (in pdf and doc formats) and I create the articles for them. I am trying to figure out a way to link the authors names to the articles. At the moment we are doing this using the search function but I think that something more is needed. I like the way txp creates authors urls (domain.tld/author/firstname+secondname).

I was wondering if there was a plugin with which faux authors could be created so as to organise this content.

Having said that, we have some texts which were authored by two people. As txp does not allow two authors to the article, I’m still not certain how to deal with those. Any suggestions? Hopefully Maybe in the form of a plugin?

Last edited by colak (2011-07-06 14:05:03)

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2011-07-06 14:36:27

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

You could just simply store the authors in a custom field, or create a category for every author or use a keyword. Then you could filter the authors by using that said custom field or the category.

#5 2011-07-06 16:21:37

colak
Admin

!! categories might be a good idea as I could have an article allocated to 2 of them

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2011-12-12 20:31:38

whaleen
Website

colak wrote:

I remember talk of such a thing on the forum but have never heard of a plugin that will do this.

Gocom wrote:

If you meant client-side registration plugins, then unfortunately I don’t remember any recent plugins that would allow users to register and let ‘em choose their own password. In fact the only out-of-the-box “just for self-service registration” plugin I can remember is mem_self_register.

@Yiannis It seems you have a solution to what you are trying to do. I on the other hand will be making heavy use of smd_bio and the normal txp_users table. Reducing the amount of steps for new sign-ups is a huge issue in my mind.

My dream is as follows:

Register Form:

<email>
<password>
<submit>

Now they are registered and logged in. Email still goes out as a: 1) a reminder for the password they chose and 2) a welcome note, but now they are in and setting up their profile and preferences or looking at anything we’ve set up for them to do.

Off to read and post in the mem_self_register thread to see if I can’t discover a way.

txtstrap (Textpattern + Twitter Bootstrap + etc…)

Board footer