Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2011-07-01 16:55:00

hcgtv
Website

Re: [wiki] TXP (written copy) Style Guide

Destry wrote:

Browser just crashed and I lost everything I was writing so this is going to be quicker and sound a little less elegant…

Get a better browser ;)

A while back I started changing every reference on my sites to Textpattern CMS from Textpattern. I thought it was the way to go, since it was mentioned on some forum thread that it would be the new nomenclature. But after some time I realized that Textpattern still stuck, just look at the admin screen, it says Textpattern everywhere, so I went back to using Textpattern.

As for txp, TXP, Txp or TxP, it’s great for forum posts and those of us who put up sites, TXP Builders, TXP Mag, TxPlanet, etc. But I don’t think it should be an official like name, since there exists a corporation, formed in 1987, that uses TXP as their logo. As for the proper capitalization of this shorthand, I think it depends on the situation, were it to be used in a forum post or the naming of a new website, either way Google picks it up, whatever capitalization is used.

Now Destry, since WordPress is up in arms about making sure we all use a capital ‘P’, maybe you should contact them to change their link text from TextPattern to Textpattern on their about page.

txp:tag – Textpattern Tags ~ TxPlanet – Textpattern Planet

#22 2011-07-01 17:41:33

Destry
Website

Maverick and Bert have me convinced. The way to deal with the abbreviations is to not to. So I’ll put in something to the effect of what I mentioned previously.

About my browser…my machine is dying, which I think is the problem. It freezes and beachballs (yep, that’s a verb there), about 40% of the time. I need to get a new, but can’t yet afford to.

And yes, somebody should point those WP folks to the Txp style guide. :)

@Michael: Yeah, that’s an attrocious sentence. Did I write it?

@Pete: I think wikipedia is right there. I found this just now too. “Moreover, in Latin only words at the beginning of sentences are capitalized” – source. I know the AP, and Chicago, but when it comes to issues with digital media, I’m all about the Yahoo Style Guide. It’s awesome.

#23 2011-07-01 18:15:29

gaekwad
Website

Destry wrote:

Yahoo Style Guide. It’s awesome.

Wow – I never even knew that existed. Thanks for the pointer!

#24 2011-07-01 19:13:30

gaekwad
Website

@Destry: as you’re putting a lot of time and work into the style guide, I can recommend reading, understanding and using the Google Search Engine Optimisation Starter Guide (PDF, free download). Changing a few simple things can reap great rewards in the long-term.

Also, and I’m sure there’s a great reason for this, but why not have the style guide be built-up on the textpattern.net wiki itself?

#25 2011-07-01 20:08:33

Destry
Website

gaekwad wrote:

Google Search Engine Optimisation Starter Guide (PDF, free download).

Great resource. Thanks! I’ll give it a read when I have more time.

As for moving the style guide to the wiki, I could, and eventually might, but I don’t think it’s pressing. It started as a Goog doc a while ago because I have a personal Textpattern folder on Goog docs with other things-in-progress and it was just convenient for me to have everything in one place. And frankly, it’s a lot easier to write there than in Mediawiki (not that MW is hard, but Goog docs are just easier). Even if I do move it, I’d still keep the page locked. I’d rather people worked on the documentation, not the guides. :)

Btw, all. I’m heading out for a week with the Family starting tomorrow, so it’s likely to be radio silence (starting now) for me until a week from Monday. Over and out.

#26 2011-07-04 09:10:17

gaekwad
Website

1. 4 in the style guide: I know it’s unlikely for how-to documentation, but the use of exclamation marks in code and shell scripts is a notable exclusion to this, so maybe add something in about that for completeness.

Also, something is needed re: the use of apostrophes. There will likely be a bunch of apostrophes used in the documentation wiki already, including U+0027 (typewriter apostrophe: ') and U+2019 (punctuation apostrophe: ’), and sticking to the one which is most widely rendered or most readily accepted when copying and pasting into Textpattern would be preferred.

#27 2011-07-18 11:55:21

Destry
Website

Pete – Those are good thoughts, especially the one on quotes. I’ll work them in.

#28 2011-07-18 12:06:57

Destry
Website

See the newly added “Please keep in mind…” paragraph in the head post.

I think what’s happening is we’ll need to add a section to the style guide that’s focused on the Tag Reference specifically, that way it can address the code-related ideas without clogging up the writing areas unnecessarily.

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-18 12:14:41)

#29 2011-07-19 08:10:36

gaekwad
Website

Destry – some more very minor things for completeness on your Google Doc:
i) add hyperlinks to the 2x URLs in the opening paragraph
ii) Textpattern gains and loses inverted commas over the first few pararaphs – looks a bit odd
iii) #7.6 behavior -> behaviour

#30 2011-07-19 08:40:10

Destry
Website

Good eyes. Thanks, Pete.

I found a preference in Google doc that turns off smart quotes. I did that and changed all curly quotes (inverted or otherwise) to straight quotes. I think that will work going forward.

Board footer