Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-07-01 12:43:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: [wiki] TXP (written copy) Style Guide

Some easy fixes after a quick skim:

First paragraph: explain what a CMS and UI is before you start using the abbreviations
1.3: unenforcable -> unenforceable
2.3: extend Latin use to include Lorem ipsum text where appropriate?
7.3: missing )
7.4: your -> you’re

Last edited by gaekwad (2011-07-01 13:02:22)

#14 2011-07-01 14:03:11

Destry
Website

Nice. Thanks Pete.

The first use of CMS in this case is actually the name of the system, so I’m not sure it’s appropriate to spell it out here. The UI part was rewritten to eliminate the abbreviation altogether.

Does “Lorem” have to be capitalized?

7.3 – Ha. My browser crashed as I was writing in that spot and I forgot where the spot was afterwards.

#15 2011-07-01 14:18:54

maverick
Website

Destry

I want to thank you for your efforts, especially in the last few days with the style guide, and facebook! It really is appreciated.

What comes isn’t meant as criticism or even really disagreement. Just dialogue. :)

re: TextBook – I realize I’m in the minority, but I rather liked it as well. A bit punny, but it was part of the community ethos.

re: TXP vs Txp – My aversion to using all caps for anything online (internet etiquette at play), renders TXP less appealing than Txp. A huge issue? No, just fwiw.

re: Textpattern CMS and Textpattern CMS Documentation. – Honestly, it all feels a bit . . . . too corporate for me.

I realize the goal of promoting us as a CMS over a blog – but to move from a one word name (simply Textpattern) to Textpattern CMS, and from TextBook to Textbook CMS Documentation . . . . . I guess I see elegance and beauty in simplicity (except when I write long forum posts ;-). I actually still prefer the old logo a bit – odd as it was – for it was more whimsical and elegant in style. The new nomenclature, etc. feels clunky and corporate — like there is less personality.

I respect and understand, from a content strategy standpoint why abbreviations are not desired. However, I would juxtapose that from a social/community development standpoint, they are one of the small details that are essential and should be encouraged to some extent – provide they don’t become a stumbling block to new people.

Abbreviations in this sense are written shorthand for verbal nicknames. Nicknames and verbal shorthand are how social groups demonstrate familiarity or even affection. Mike instead of Michael, Sears vs. Sears & Roebuck (before they officially shortened the name). Mickey D’s instead of McDonalds. Txp is efficient, but it is also a sign someone has been around the community for a while and is familiar with our internal lingo, shorthand, and nicknames. Along with inside jokes, shared experiences, etc, comes the sense of community.

Just thoughts

Mike

#16 2011-07-01 15:09:53

Destry
Website

Thanks Mike.

Browser just crashed and I lost everything I was writing so this is going to be quicker and sound a little less elegant…

The deal with “TextBook” and “Textpattern CMS” is a done deal a while ago (the latter not having anything to do with me), so I’m not sure it’s worth getting too drawn to those changes at this point. They both were rooted in clarifying messages (TextBook actually being documentation, and Textpattern not being just a blog tool) and improving SEO, so I think they were practical changes overall.

As for Txp vs TXP, I actually don’t like TXP. I prefer “Txp”. But what bothers me more than which one, is how many are floating around in communication right now (Txp, TxP, TXP…). Abbreviations are rather ambiguous anyway, but when many are used to mean the same thing, it’s a bit much. Also, I doubt anybody out in the world has any clue what “Txp” means, so writing “Textpattern” instead of an abbreviation in official communication is always going to be better (and no, I don’t think we have to write “Textpattern CMS”, but at least “Textpattern” most of the time). Use what you want here in the forum, at your own website, whatever, but the guide is primarily intended for the documentation, and if it’s adopted a bit wider it won’t hurt anything.

I guess we need more voting, or leader input, on the abbreviation thing for purposes of the style guide, considering “TXP 5” is in the future. I’m just looking for the majority vote. :)

Last edited by Destry (2011-07-01 15:14:23)

#17 2011-07-01 15:20:10

Destry
Website

You know, I think maybe I just answered my own question. Wait, what was the question? Oh yeah…abbreviations.

Maybe this should be the rule for documentation: No abbreviations. Period. Use “Textpattern” always. “Textpattern CMS” is not necessary.

That makes sense to me. Then we just remove any mention of Textpattern abbreviations from the style guide outside of making it clear they are not allowed in the docs.

How’s that sound?

#18 2011-07-01 15:46:38

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote:

Does “Lorem” have to be capitalized?

I’m not certain – I tend to capitalise the ‘L’ and not the ‘i’ as I use http://lipsum.com/ to auto-generate the text for my needs…certainly if it’s the first word in a sentence. The lorem ipsum Wikipedia article uses lower case when it’s use mid-sentence, so I guess it depends on placement.

For the avoidance of doubt, it may also be worth picking up a copy of the AP Stylebook if there are any sticking points for what style should be used in a given scenario.

#19 2011-07-01 16:38:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Great work Destry, I’ll have to go through my replacement front-side theme project and make sure it adheres to your document. I know I mix first person and third person in the comments I’ve added throughout the HTML but that’s a relatively easy fix.

Seems like I’ve already used ‘Textpattern’ thoughout instead of ‘TXP’ so that’s good.

#20 2011-07-01 16:49:35

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

When Textbook was first created, it was really a separate site. Once all the .com/.net/.org got folded together into a single metasite, I think the name is more apt to be confusing to newcomers. So I for one approve of this change.

I am hoping we can get rid of this sentence as well – Often known as “the WIKI”, the Textpattern Manual contains a rich host of information on every aspect of Textpattern – because I don’t know anyone who calls it “the WIKI” anymore and doubt they used all-caps when they did.

#21 2011-07-01 16:55:00

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

Browser just crashed and I lost everything I was writing so this is going to be quicker and sound a little less elegant…

Get a better browser ;)

A while back I started changing every reference on my sites to Textpattern CMS from Textpattern. I thought it was the way to go, since it was mentioned on some forum thread that it would be the new nomenclature. But after some time I realized that Textpattern still stuck, just look at the admin screen, it says Textpattern everywhere, so I went back to using Textpattern.

As for txp, TXP, Txp or TxP, it’s great for forum posts and those of us who put up sites, TXP Builders, TXP Mag, TxPlanet, etc. But I don’t think it should be an official like name, since there exists a corporation, formed in 1987, that uses TXP as their logo. As for the proper capitalization of this shorthand, I think it depends on the situation, were it to be used in a forum post or the naming of a new website, either way Google picks it up, whatever capitalization is used.

Now Destry, since WordPress is up in arms about making sure we all use a capital ‘P’, maybe you should contact them to change their link text from TextPattern to Textpattern on their about page.

#22 2011-07-01 17:41:33

Destry
Website

Maverick and Bert have me convinced. The way to deal with the abbreviations is to not to. So I’ll put in something to the effect of what I mentioned previously.

About my browser…my machine is dying, which I think is the problem. It freezes and beachballs (yep, that’s a verb there), about 40% of the time. I need to get a new, but can’t yet afford to.

And yes, somebody should point those WP folks to the Txp style guide. :)

@Michael: Yeah, that’s an attrocious sentence. Did I write it?

@Pete: I think wikipedia is right there. I found this just now too. “Moreover, in Latin only words at the beginning of sentences are capitalized” – source. I know the AP, and Chicago, but when it comes to issues with digital media, I’m all about the Yahoo Style Guide. It’s awesome.

#23 2011-07-01 18:15:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote:

Yahoo Style Guide. It’s awesome.

Wow – I never even knew that existed. Thanks for the pointer!

#24 2011-07-01 19:13:30

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

@Destry: as you’re putting a lot of time and work into the style guide, I can recommend reading, understanding and using the Google Search Engine Optimisation Starter Guide (PDF, free download). Changing a few simple things can reap great rewards in the long-term.

Also, and I’m sure there’s a great reason for this, but why not have the style guide be built-up on the textpattern.net wiki itself?

Board footer