Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-03-07 16:01:27

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Installing Textpattern in a Domain Subdirectory on a Joyent SA

I just moved cmsstyles.com off the ancient textdrive.com freebsd box it had been sitting on to a shiny new Joyent Shared Accelerator. And everything seems to be working okay except…

Since I plan to use the site to develop/convert new themes over to textpattern, I had some extra textpattern installs stashed in subdirectories (textpattern1, textpattern2), etc. I had since come up with a better idea: create a directory called demos and install them in their by name – for instance, the plain vanilla textpattern install is called vanilla and is located at cmsstyles.com/demos/vanilla. The only thing is, it doesn’t work. Instead what I am getting is the error page from the main textpattern install. Now it works just fine for my wordpress install: cmsstyles.com/wordpress but not the textpattern ones.

I am open to suggestions. This is one of those things that I think I used to understand a bit better but it has been years since I had to deal with it. And I apologize if you think I should have asked the question over there, but I thought the odds of getting an answer are better here.

#2 2011-03-07 17:10:19

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Installing Textpattern in a Domain Subdirectory on a Joyent SA

Hi Michael,

Initial thoughts…

You do not have a conflict with naming?
In your root install do you have an article, section, whatever called “demos”?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2011-03-07 17:36:03

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Installing Textpattern in a Domain Subdirectory on a Joyent SA

Currently I have 6 sections defined: Default, blog, contact, plugins, search, themes

I took a moment to whip up an error_404 page and that is what you get now by visiting: http://cmsstyles.com/demos/vanilla

So it is showing an error off the main install rather than the contents of the subdirectory.

—-

I solved it – It was being caused by the Joyent method of wildcard DNS – I had known about that years ago, but I forgot how it worked.

I decided the easiest solution was to just have GoDaddy manage the dns – the problem went away within minutes and the site now works the way I wanted it to.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2011-03-08 00:37:06)

Board footer