Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2011-02-18 13:15:47

Destry
Website

Re: [wiki] User Doc / Wiki Plugin Documentation

Guys,

Don’t kill yourselves over nothing. I would just remove everything having to do with plugins. That would be good for the Txp user docs :)

What most of you seem to have forgotten is that quite a while ago, when it looked like nothing was ever going to be done to improve the current plugin situation, I started a little experiment to make a plugin directory in the wiki. Something that made it infinitely easier to find plugins based on what they do, where they applied, etc.

Somewhere in the wiki there might be the original table pages where the directory main pages existed, but maybe not. I can’t remember. All the underlying plugin files…what you are finding…was from that experiment.

EDIT: one key motivation for the experiment was to prevent plugin links from disappearing at the dev’s own site, which we know is a common problem over time. So not only did the experiment harbor the plugin code, but it harbored versions of it too.

Not long after, there were signs that the .org site would be turning into this cool, new plugin wonderland and the wiki experiment ended.

So, do yourselves a favor — and the wiki a favor — and just delete all that stuff and refocus plugin efforts at .org. Seriously.

Hope that helps.

(And, no, I didn’t read this whole thread, so sorry if I’m saying what you already know or are doing. Carry on.)

Last edited by Destry (2011-02-18 13:21:15)

#26 2011-02-18 14:38:24

maverick
Website

Hey Destry!

Thanks for chiming in.

We did figure out how the section came about, why it ended, and that Txp.org was the place for everything plugin. :)

The summary of the thread was I identified any unique content (plugin text files) that we may want to archive at Txp.org prior to expunging the plugin archive experiment. There’s a post that sums that assessment up.

There’s also a post that identifies plugins that had their txt file archived at the wiki, but the download link is not working.

A couple of those are not available elsewhere – so if they are still available in the database (they just have a broken link), and if we want them for posterity, they’ll have to be found.

Other than that, the unique content has to be moved to Txp.or (if it’s wanted), and things deleted.

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-18 15:17:29)

#27 2011-02-18 15:10:22

Destry
Website

Excellent! Sounds like things are well in hand.

The versions of plugin code were simply uploaded to the file gallery as .txt files, so if the download links are not working, I’m not sure why that would be. We could look in the tables, if necessary, to see if anything is there.

(Note to self: Wiki really needs updated to current version.)

Board footer