Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-02-12 19:18:32

maverick
Website

Re: [wiki] User Doc / Wiki Plugin Documentation

As I’ve been checking the pages, I now see that the warning appears on most the individual plugin pages. I agree a milder disclaimer is in order when one is used.

As I’m getting time, I’m double checking the list of plugins, their links, and their versions against Textpattern Resources, as well as the download links at Textpattern and the version listed there – just to assess the validity of the information and then we can decided what, if anything is worth keeping.

Most of the individual plugin pages on the wiki have one version of the article, one version of the file, and the two standard links to it — Plugins Alphabetical by Name and
Plugins Grouped by Purpose.

The following have one or more duplicate files linked (I think different versions of the plugin):

The following plugins have additional links (help documentation) to them:

Personally –

I’d keep a copy of the actual files of the old plugins (and the couple of help pages) somewhere in case they are wanted for the Txp Resource archive.

I’d then delete the plugin pages from the wiki.

(If it helps, I have made backups of the main plugin page, the plugins files and the 2 documents pages on my computer)

fwiw

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-12 19:21:49)

#14 2011-02-12 19:51:33

maverick
Website

I’ve got to take off for a while, but here is my assessment so far of the information on the page – in case it helps any. Disclaimer: it is incomplete at the moment. :)

Re: the plugins listed at the wiki and their equivalent pages @ Textpattern Resources

ajw_ (Txp Resources download links works)

ako_ (Txp Resources download links yield blank pages)

asy_

bas_ (Txp Resources download Links hang)

cbs_ (Txp Resources download link works)

etz_ (Txp Resources download url links to forum. Txp Forum’s download link works)

fpx_ (Txp Resources download link works)

gbp_ (Txp Resource’s download url links to choice of multiple versions)

hpw_ (Txp Resource’s download url is broke – it links to a WP domain upgrade login)

• admincss: wiki v0.1; Txp Resources v0.1

ied_

• ied_do_article: wiki v.0.2.1 ; Txp Resources v.0.2 , (Txp Resources download link yields “File Not Found”)
  • ied_hide_in_admin: wiki v0.1.5; Txp Resources v0.1.6, (Txp Resources download link yields “File Not Found”); Txp Forum v.0.1.6.’
  • ied_plugin_composer: wiki v0.4; Txp Resources v.0.93, (Txp Resources download link works, links to Stef’s version)

ign_ (Txp Resource’s download url works)

• ign_password_protect: wiki v0.4.2d; Txp Resources v0.4.2c; Txp Resource – actual download v0.5b9

jnm_ (Txp Resource’s information url links author’s site)

• jnm_audio: wiki v0.2; Txp Resources (no version, no download link), information link to author’s site works; v0.3

mcw_ (Txp Resource’s download url links 404 @ author’s site)

mdp_ (Txp Resource’s download url yields “not found on this server”)

mem_ (not available at Manfre’s bitbucket either)

• mem_imbd_votes: wiki v0.1; No listing @ Txp Resources

mrw_ (Txp Resource’s download url yields “not found on this server”)

mtp_

• mtp_subsections: wiki v0.1a – wiki download link broken; No listing @ Txp Resources

pap_

• pap_contact_cleaner: wiki v0.1, wiki download link broken; Txp Resources v0.1; (Txp Resource’s download url is working)
  • pap_moderate_comments: wiki v0.3; No listing at Txp Resources
  • pap_printer_friendly: wiki v0.2; No listing @ Txp Resources
  • pap_xpoll: wiki v0.2; Txp Resources v unclear , (Txp Resource’s download url yields “host does not exist”)

rss_

• rss_admin_db_manager: wiki v4.1; Txp Resources v4.3; (Txp Resource’s download url is working)
  • rss_admin_resize: wiki v0.2; Txp Resources v0.2; (Txp Resource’s download url yields 404 not found at author’s site, plugin is available elsewhere on author’s site)
  • rss_unlimited_categories: wiki v0.3; Txp Resources v0.5; (Txp Resource’s download url is working); Download @ AUthor’s site is v0.7.4

sed_ (Txp Resource’s has no download url, information url is working)

upm_ (Txp Resources download links working)

• upm_image: wiki v1.1; actual file is v0.4.3; Txp Resources v_ none_listed_ ; Txp Resource download link yields v0.6.2
  • upm_image_popper: wiki v1.1; Txp Resources v1.3.7

vdh_ (Txp Resource’s download url is working, download url provides choice of multiple versions)

wet_ (Txp Resource’s download url is working)

• wet_if_page: wiki v0.1; Txp Resources v none listed ; Txp Resource download link yields v0.1
  • wet_thumbfilter: wiki v0.4; Txp Resources v none listed ; Txp Resource download link yields v0.6

wlk_ (Txp Resource’s download url is working)

• wlk_mp: wiki v0.5; Txp Resources v0.5.3

zem_ (Txp Resources download links work; zem_contact_reborn links to Ruud’s site)

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-12 21:36:47)

#15 2011-02-12 20:02:05

maverick
Website

Els wrote:

There are really ancient plugins in that list which wouldn’t work with Txp’s current version anyway, so I don’t see much use in keeping the plugin files available.

Seems like I recall a couple of discussions about wanting to archive multiple versions and outdated plugs at Txp Resources. Just in case someone needed it for an older install, or wanted to use as a basis for a new plugin, or for the sake of prosperity. But maybe I’m remembering wrong and/or that was just brainstorming but not an official goal and/or the plan has since changed :)

#16 2011-02-12 20:07:40

els

Wow, you’ve been doing a lot of work! I’m still having doubts if we should change the links to the plugin files in the wiki into links to the plugin pages on textpattern.org, or just remove all links to the plugin files, so that no one is tempted to download an outdated plugin, or just change the warning and include a link to textpattern.org in it.

Changing all these links now seems like a lot of work for something that will exist only for a limited time…

#17 2011-02-12 20:11:48

els

maverick wrote:

Seems like I recall a couple of discussions about wanting to archive multiple versions and outdated plugs at Txp Resources. Just in case someone needed it for an older install, or wanted to use as a basis for a new plugin, or for the sake of prosperity.

Yes, that’s why I said ‘keeping the plugin files available’. We can keep them until we are certain no one is going to need them, or until they can be moved to .org, and in the meantime remove all links to them to avoid confusion.

#18 2011-02-12 20:50:22

maverick
Website

Els wrote:

Changing all these links now seems like a lot of work for something that will exist only for a limited time…

I agree.

I said ‘keeping the plugin files available‘.

Sorry – I read that, but it obviously didn’t register :)

you’ve been doing a lot of work!

I’m not sure if it will help in the end, or just have been busy work. But in case it can help with updating the user docs, and with speeding up the the transition to Txp Resources, I thought I’d throw it out there.

so that no one is tempted to download an outdated plugin

I would have said remove the links before I started comparing the two.

But.

A few plugins on the wiki are not available at Txp.org, and a couple on the wiki are a newer version than the ones at Txp.org

For a couple, there are updates or bug fixes in their forums (or github) that make them work (there is a working version of rss_database netcarver’s github for example).

Another item I notices is that the wiki lists what version of Txp they are compatible with. Txp.org is much more inconsistent at that.

Is there someone with access to Txp.org who can upload the desired files while we are working on this and then we can delete it all?

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-12 20:50:39)

#19 2011-02-12 21:21:00

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

maverick wrote:

Is there someone with access to Txp.org who can upload the desired files while we are working on this and then we can delete it all?

Yes, if they are files that really should be uploaded :)

Code is topiary

#20 2011-02-12 21:42:01

maverick
Website

Wiki Doc Plugins Available on Wiki / Not Available As Downloads From Txp.org, or via a link to the Author’s Site or Txp Forum

• version is only listed if it differs from Txp.org listing
  • Wiki versions that are newer are noted

ako_

bas_

hpw_

ied_

mcw_

mdp_

mem_

• mem_imbd_votes: wiki v0.1; No listing @ Txp Resources

pap_

• pap_moderate_comments: wiki v0.3; No listing at Txp Resources
  • pap_printer_friendly: wiki v0.2; No listing @ Txp Resources
  • pap_xpoll: wiki v0.2; Txp Resources v unclear , Appears To Be A Newer Version

Last edited by maverick (2011-02-12 21:49:26)

#21 2011-02-12 21:45:01

maverick
Website

jsoo wrote:

Yes, if they are files that really should be uploaded :)

Fair enough :)

I tried to do the leg work on versions and availability. Those who know Txp.org’s goals will have to make the call on what, if any should be uploaded :D

#22 2011-02-12 21:56:06

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

maverick wrote:

I tried to do the leg work on versions and availability. Those who know Txp.org’s goals will have to make the call on what, if any should be uploaded :D

You’ve done a great service — thanks!

Code is topiary

#23 2011-02-12 22:12:22

maverick
Website

I’m not sure if it was great or more OCD :-P But thank you. It’s only a small effort in giving back to a community that has helped me.

#24 2011-02-12 22:23:38

els

I still haven’t found out where in the wiki the ‘malicious code’ warning can be edited…

Board footer