You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-21 13:56:39

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

[mention] 2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report

The Report

Web Search Interest: textpattern

Notes (from Page 50)

We listed Textpattern as a Project at Risk in the 2009 Report; we re-iterate that rating in this Report. Looking at the data set this year, we find Textpattern’s slide has continued. We found low adoption rates, little growth in third party support, poor search engine visibility and surprisingly, low brand familiarity. The system also finished in the bottom five in other metrics, including project site popularity, brand sentiment, abandonment and product preference. There was, in short, little if any good news for the system in this Report. While Textpattern has enjoyed good success in the past, we have to wonder about its continued vitality in this increasingly competitive market.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2011-01-21 13:57:40)

#2 2011-01-21 15:12:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [mention] 2010 Open Source CMS Market Share Report

I’d best give up coding then, since I’ve clearly not added any value to the product. It started to decline the month I joined the forum and has continued to decrease in market share ever since against blogging software like WordPress. Therefore it’s my fault with all those damn plugins and bad code :-(

Alternatively, maybe I should focus my efforts on promoting TXP and getting the brand consistent. Which makes more sense?

Sorry Textpattern. I should have stayed away.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2011-01-21 17:04:17

els

Well, I don’t have the time to read that report now, so I don’t know how they reach their conclusions. But my guess is that relying on reports like this for information about Txp, whilst ignoring this forum during a couple of years, is not going to provide you with well-balanced information.

@Stef: shut up :)

#4 2011-01-21 17:10:13

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

People who report trends report … trends … not measures of inherent quality. And they project current trends indefinitely. I’d like to see us reverse some of these trends, but I think we’re taking the right steps.

(And I haven’t done more than glance at the report either.)

Code is topiary

#5 2011-01-21 18:05:50

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

From what I could tell, their main methodology is counting the number of websites that Google finds and then drawing conclusions from there.

It isn’t necessarily the worst method, but it does tend to leave out a lot of factors that might influence things.

#6 2011-01-21 18:55:27

maruchan
Website

While Textpattern has enjoyed good success in the past, we have to wonder about its continued vitality in this increasingly competitive market.

It sucks that the methodology yielded such coarse results. As it stands, quotes like that one stand out as fairly disingenuous.

There is no place in their study for something like a “niche” content management system, differentiated by market position or other criteria.

As such, the conclusion of the study — which most would read as “go with one of the big CMS” — will seem absolutely inappropriate to anyone who’s ever switched away from one of the big CMS to a niche CMS.

I would love to see some correlation between things like: 1) size and scope of website being created with the CMS in question, 2) target market of said website, and 3) experience level of developers working on said website.

Having been a mostly-Joomla guy before picking up Textpattern, I have to give this study a huge thumbs down. Instead of providing direction, it parrots the “X is HUGE, you can’t go wrong with X” approach to selecting a software package. Instead of suggesting a deeper look at project scope and the developer’s experience level, it leads readers to assume that there is nothing wrong with a one-size-fits-all approach.

So, in conclusion: “While studies like this one have enjoyed much attention in the past, I have to wonder about their continued vitality in this increasingly segmented market.” ;-)

Last edited by maruchan (2011-01-21 18:55:48)

#7 2011-01-21 19:10:25

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maruchan wrote:

So, in conclusion: “While studies like this one have enjoyed much attention in the past, I have to wonder about their continued vitality in this increasingly segmented market.” ;-)

I totally agree, since the report was more of a popularity contest, like what systems are talked about the most on Facebook.

All that aside, Textpattern can turn things around quite easily and lift itself up from the niche market it now occupies. A few tweaks here and there on a default install, some better tutorials on template creation, and you’ll get more people kicking the tires.

#8 2011-01-21 22:51:11

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

..some better tutorials on template creation…

Sounds like a good idea. When I have my current theme packaged up you might want to remind me of that one Bert.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#9 2011-01-23 02:32:11

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote:

Therefore it’s my fault

Hey – you’re not going to have ALL the fun!

I did it. I put Textpattarn at Risk!

There were these websites I didn’t create, and there was the code I didn’t write — (don’t even know how to write!) And, um, I didn’t google Textpattern enough, and um, . . . I used svn instead of downloads, so they didn’t get counted, and, um, let’s see – I’m sure I did other things to put Txp at risk.

Therefore, it’s my fault.

;)

#10 2011-01-23 11:27:51

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

#11 2011-01-23 12:46:35

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

Our new mantra “No PHP in our templates!”

It is one of Txp’s distinctive features — and an important one. Kind of geeky for a mantra, though :)

Code is topiary

#12 2011-01-23 13:11:24

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

If everyone would just Google for textpattern about 20 times per day for the next 12 months we should be able to demonstrate just what a bag of shite reviews like this are when based entirely on spurious statistics.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer