Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-06 01:02:20

Destry
Website

[wiki] The wiki name, "TextBook", is no more!

In case you haven’t noticed lately, we are no longer using “TextBook” as the name of the wiki. It was always a little confusing, especially to visitors, and never ideal for seo. We probably should have ditched it long ago.

All references to the wiki by that name should cease, whether in discussion, navigation, blog articles, .com content…all of it. That means in this Forum too, and the forum navigation link labels using “TextBook” need changed.

In general, it should be thought of as Textpattern CMS User Documentation, but it could feasible be referred to as:

• Textpattern User Documentation (or just User Documentation if in context of a Txp site)
  • Documentation wiki (or Docs wiki)
  • or even Textpattern wiki

The next steps will be to change the URLs too. No more textbook.textpattern.net/whatever. If wet is still willing, we’ll make efforts to setup a new URL structure: docs.textpattern.com. We can feasibly do this, I think, because we (they, rather) have power over both servers.

In the meantime, please start using the true URL structure for links: textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?...etc. We will make appropriate redirects from there.

Currently, older URLs beginning with textbook. should still be working.

Anyway, it begins with you, and dropping the old reference henceforth.

Thanks for your help!

#2 2011-01-06 02:08:42

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [wiki] The wiki name, "TextBook", is no more!

I have links to TextBook the Docs wiki sprinkled pretty liberally throughout my plugin help texts. Happy to update the links, but so much the better if I only have to do this once. Any idea of the timeframe for going to docs.textpattern.com?

Code is topiary

#3 2011-01-06 08:42:41

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

If wet is still willing, we’ll make efforts to setup a new URL structure: docs.textpattern.com. We can feasibly do this, I think, because we (they, rather) have power over both servers.

Joyent is still working on some lines of the plumbing on the new SmartMachine, so we’d rather get to this when we have settled there. Meanwhile, I have moved all references to “TextBook” in the forum navigation.

#4 2011-01-06 11:39:19

Destry
Website

That’s great, wet, thanks. I’m happy to wait and use true URLs in the meantime. Like jsoo, I think this should only be done once, so no bother doing it until done right.

And we can all expect to stumble across “TextBook” here and there for a while. Topic titles in this particular forum, for example. Some aren’t worth worry about, others if they are easily accessed should be changed (especially links and navigation to the wiki), but it doesn’t have to be done yesterday.

Btw, check your sigs. :)

Last edited by Destry (2011-01-06 11:43:09)

#5 2011-01-06 12:36:49

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Sig updated :)

Code is topiary

#6 2011-09-09 12:05:32

uli

What happened to links containing “textbook”? I just remarked the translation links on article_custom, the all lead to textbook.textpattern.net but with different results:
  • Hungarian: “page has been deleted”
  • Chinese(?): “There is currently no text in this page.”
  • Russian: Still works, leading to textbook. textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=article_custom_(ru)

And they’re not the only ones, link_to_next/prev is also concerned as probably most pages are.

Is any of that problematic, can a humble wiki ant like me help or can that be queried away?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#7 2011-09-09 22:32:01

els

uli wrote:

• Hungarian: “page has been deleted”
  • Chinese(?): “There is currently no text in this page.”
  • Russian: Still works, leading to textbook. textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=article_custom_(ru)

And they’re not the only ones, link_to_next/prev is also concerned as probably most pages are.

Thanks, I changed the translation links on those pages. But it seems you need access to phpMyAdmin to remove the ‘textbook’ in the URL (and though it’s quite possible that I do have access, I just can’t find how to get there right now…).

Is any of that problematic, can a humble wiki ant like me help or can that be queried away?

Without access to the database, we still can correct the links manually. I know I’ve done it for some tag pages last year, but apparently not all of them. The translation page titles were all changed to tag_name_(language code), i.e. article_custom_(ru).

Edit: I think I’ve done them all now.

Last edited by els (2011-09-10 00:10:01)

#8 2011-09-12 11:22:03

uli

Thanks so much, Els! The community can’t praise high enough what you’re doing around the forum, even late night! And you can’t call it an exciting job to do that manually. Thanks again! :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#9 2011-09-12 16:19:28

els

:) No problem, I really thought I’d corrected all of them long ago. I can’t figure out how to remove the ‘textbook’ part from the language links though, we’ll have to ask Destry.

#10 2011-09-21 22:21:38

Destry
Website

We might be getting closer to a url resolution once and for all. No time frame as of yet, but rather than fart around with “textbook” in the existing URLs, we’re going to try going directly to docs.textpattern.com, and make them clean as well.

So something like…

textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tag_Reference
textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Tag_Reference

would automatically open/show…

docs.textpattern.com/Category:Tag_Reference

That’s the theory, anyway. We’ll see if it holds up under technological stress.

@hakjoon: Did you say once that you tried doing clean URLs in MW? Did you run into some problem with that?

#11 2011-09-21 23:11:51

Destry
Website

Btw, wouldn’t it be nice to see plugins.textpattern.com (textpattern.org) and themes.textpattern.com (textgarden.org) fall into place too?

Yes. Yes it would.

And while we’re at it, let’s throw in blog.textpattern.com and get rid of the term “weblog”, which is a relic term if there ever was one.

Last edited by Destry (2011-09-21 23:14:35)

#12 2011-10-14 06:59:11

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote:

• Textpattern User Documentation (or just User Documentation if in context of a Txp site)

Codified in change set 3594.

Board footer