Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-11-27 15:30:35

kevinpotts

Re: esq_sectionsort - Custom sorting of sections

cain-mi wrote:

That being said, if you email me I’ll forward you the new plugin as it currently is (it works well, just needs a slight tidy up, and perhaps merging into the existing plugin).

Mitch — e-mail sent.

Last edited by kevinpotts (2010-11-27 15:30:47)

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#14 2010-12-19 05:42:27

radneck
Plugin Author

This is a bit late, but just for those still passing by, beta version of this plugin sent to Kev. Final version will be out in a few of weeks :)

Last edited by radneck (2011-01-13 03:49:05)

#15 2011-01-26 06:14:55

bici
Website Mastodon

cain-mi wrote:

This is a bit late, but just for those still passing by, beta version of this plugin sent to Kev. Final version will be out in a few of weeks :)

Will be waiting ;-)

i wish to have a custom order for the way Categories get displayed. Neither numerical or alphabetical work for my needs.

…. texted postive

#16 2011-03-10 17:11:04

uli

Mitch, are you open for people who get creative with esq_sectionsort?

I think it would be nice if this plugin had a tag to output the contents of the sectionsort field. If people would not need to sort their sections or use one of the work arounds, the plugin could well serve as the custom_field tool for sections.

I imagine we could use the tag in a section list to output e.g. section links’ HTML titles. In countries with umlauts or accented letters TXPs section title field is occupied with the correct, accented notation and thus not available for other uses. It would be pretty cool not to have to install the extra monster smd_query is, just for displaying HTML titles.

In order not to loose the genuine sorting ability, the field might be divided by a special character and the tag would process the field’s sub-sections, like e.g. netcarver’s sed_packed_custom_fields does. But maybe extra fields/tags are easier to realize?

What do you think?

Last edited by uli (2011-03-10 17:16:48)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#17 2011-03-10 23:56:48

radneck
Plugin Author

Hi Uli,

Jakob suggested something similar for the rewrite I am doing, an extra field that could be used for relevant data or an image or something – I think you guys are spot on.
Could you please explain the HTML title thing in a bit more detail though? I don’t fully understand.

I’ve have a new version out shortly, with the ability to sort categories as well as sections, and an extra meta field which you can hopefully use for your purpose.

Last edited by radneck (2015-11-04 07:40:59)

#18 2011-03-11 12:47:04

uli

cain-mi wrote:

Could you please explain the HTML title thing in a bit more detail though? I don’t fully understand.

I know that I only think I sound like I’d be writing English ;) I hope this one’s better than the post before.

Let me take an example from the real world: The “TXP Network Links” menu here in the forum contains a menu item “Textpattern CMS Resources”. (Let’s regard this as a section of textpattern.com) TXP would save that to the title field of the section and make a URL-digestable “textpattern-cms-resources” of it for the name field. Thus all fields TXP natively offers for sections are taken by substantially the same information, so there’s nothing left here for holding any additional data like the menu item’s HTML title “Plugins, etcetera”.

So, in a section list that should be made up dynamically there needed to be an additional field if I wanted to display section specific additional labels or maybe simple HTML titles in order to have something like a comment, a pointer, what kind of information is covered by this “section”.
esq_sectionsort, as it is right now, can as well hold this kind of information and, if it had the tag I’d like it to have, also display it.

A possible scenario could be that – at a later point – I wanted to add further information to the label thing so that it needed to be assembled from static (still section specific) text and dynamic information. I.e. the new label field might hold some words and, in between them, a tag to query something like the number of articles the “section” holds.

Does this make more sense to you?

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#19 2011-03-12 18:47:21

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

now i need exactily that plug-in, but for articles.

anyone?? :)

#20 2011-03-12 20:18:21

maverick
Website

jens31 wrote:

now i need exactily that plug-in, but for articles.

as in stm_article_order?

#21 2011-03-14 14:54:10

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

maverick!!
thanks, i wasnt able to find this tool, when searching for that feature.

up and running like a charm.
thanks for the hint!

#22 2011-03-14 15:24:55

maverick
Website

glad to help :)

#23 2011-03-15 03:44:53

radneck
Plugin Author

uli wrote:

I know that I only think I sound like I’d be writing English ;) I hope this one’s better than the post before.

You’re English is fine, I just wanted to make sure I had my head wrapped around the concept properly.

It sounds like what I am planning for the plugin matches what you want to do. The only thing I am unsure of is having txp tags within the new field – I’ll try, but getting it to work in the proper section/category context might be a pain.

I’ll hopefully have the new version out in a week or so.

Thanks for your feedback Uli.

#24 2011-03-15 11:53:38

uli

cain-mi wrote:

It sounds like what I am planning for the plugin matches what you want to do.

Great!

The only thing I am unsure of is having txp tags within the new field – I’ll try, but getting it to work in the proper section/category context might be a pain.

I have no actual need for “tag in field”, the reason why I mentioned it was to speak out what might come to mind later on, so that in an early stage you would take the easiest path if there were several possible approaches to realize that one. I don’t wanted to overcomplicate things, especially if that costs too much energy or lifetime.

Thanks for your feedback Uli.

Thanks for being so kind to listen.

Last edited by uli (2011-03-15 12:06:18)

Board footer