Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-11-13 15:00:17

joebaich
Website

Re: Host textpattern images on a subdomain for speed increase

wet wrote:

maniqui wrote:

Regarding the cookieless subdomain trick, i think it’s only possible if you server static assets from a totally different domain name.

Depends.

If you set cookies using a cookie domain of .example.com (note the leading dot), all subdomains of example.com would share this cookie. OTOH, if you used example.com (no leading dot) as the cookie domain, it would only be used on this particular host.

I interpret Googles instructions for disabling cookies in sub domains somewhat differently to wet but I could be wrong and hence this post. I think that the instructions indicate that an entry of example.com (i.e. no leading dot) would have the browser automatically add it back in to make tracking (and cookie setting) available in top level sub domains like sub1.example.com and sub2.example.com. Physically including the dot i.e. .example.com also makes tracking (and cookie setting) available in lower level sub domains like sub1.sub1.example.com and sub2.sub1.example.com. To achieve non tracking of a sub domain (and no cookie setting) one needs to be specific and add a ‘none’ setting i.e _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']); . I admit that seems counter intuitive if one wants to retain Google tracking of the main domain example.com and so am a quivering mass of uncertainty.

Last edited by joebaich (2010-11-13 18:00:33)

#26 2010-11-13 15:18:47

maniqui
Website

@joebaich

I can confirm that _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']); works for avoiding the cookie to be set on all other domain’s host (aka subdomain).

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#27 2010-11-13 15:44:08

joebaich
Website

Thanks Julián.

#28 2010-11-13 16:05:51

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Anyone know how to fix Piwik so it doesn’t set cookies on subdomains?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

Board footer