Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-10-06 20:31:24

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

A few tags have wraptag but not class

Working through the TextBook attribute lists, I came across three tags that have wraptag but not class:

Not surprisingly, the reason is that none of the three use doWrap() to apply the wraptag. Is it worth adding class to these for the sake of consistency?

Code is topiary

#2 2010-10-06 21:52:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: A few tags have wraptag but not class

jsoo wrote:

Is it worth adding class to these for the sake of consistency?

Don’t see why not. Added class to <txp:feed_link /> in this release so we might as well do the others. It’s only a couple of lines to change per function to add the class attribute and swap the tag() for doTag(). Piece of cake, leave it with me.

EDIT: should the default be __FUNCTION__ or unset?

Last edited by Bloke (2010-10-06 21:55:29)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2010-10-06 22:35:02

els

Bloke wrote:

EDIT: should the default be __FUNCTION__ or unset?

I wonder why for some tags it’s __FUNCTION__ and for others unset (Textbook).
From a non-coder POV I’d say either one or the other for all of them. Am I missing something?

#4 2010-10-06 22:52:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Els wrote:

I wonder why for some tags it’s __FUNCTION__ and for others unset

Pass.

Both systems have relative merits depending on the application but it’s a fine line. For instance, <txp:article /> and <txp:article_custom /> (which, incidentally, aren’t listed in the attributes cross-ref as taking class, yet they do — must fix that one day) make sense unset because class="article_custom" doesn’t add much meaning. Since both article and article_custom are really the same internal function they share attribute defaults, so that explains that one.

For tags like <txp:section_list /> though it’s kind of handy to have it set to the tag name by default so if you use a wraptag you don’t have to type more to alter it from something fairly semantic; unless you absolutely feel the need. Maybe that’s the dinstinction? I haven’t checked, but perhaps if it makes sense (semantically) to use the tag name as a class it’s set to __FUNCTION__ otherwise it’s left unset?

*shrug* using that logic, link_feed_link and search_input should probably be set, while popup should be unset. Does that work for everyone?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2010-10-06 23:16:22

els

Bloke wrote:

I haven’t checked, but perhaps if it makes sense (semantically) to use the tag name as a class it’s set to __FUNCTION__ otherwise it’s left unset?

Yes, I can follow that logic.

*shrug* using that logic, link_feed_link and search_input should probably be set, while popup should be unset. Does that work for everyone?

As you say, it’s a fine line. I wouldn’t know where to draw it exactly. Thanks for clarifying but I’ll leave it to you ;)

#6 2010-10-06 23:37:40

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Great, I didn’t know doTag().

Added article and article_custom to the cross-ref.

Your decision on empty v. __FUNCTION__ makes sense to me.

Code is topiary

#7 2010-10-07 00:07:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Done, thanks.

#8 2011-06-11 19:48:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I just ran into a situation where I was trying to duplicate:

<a href="index.html" class="rssfeed">RSS Feed</a> 

My first attempt where I noticed class was available but didn’t actually read the documentation was this:

<txp:feed_link class="rssfeed">RSS Feed</txp:feed_link>

and gave me:

<a href="http://cmsstyles.com/demos/urbanartist/rss/" title="RSS Feed">RSS Feed</a>

After actually reading the docs, I faked it with:

<txp:feed_link wraptag="span" class="rssfeed">RSS Feed</txp:feed_link>

and got:

<span class="rssfeed"><a href="http://cmsstyles.com/demos/urbanartist/rss/" title="RSS Feed">RSS Feed</a></span>

which was close enough as for the browser to figure out what I was going for.

Board footer