Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2008-09-12 16:07:56

merz1
Website

Re: Export data (How portable is Textpattern?)

The ‘CMS data portability’ the article speaks about is not migrating from one CMS to another via database migration but via some kind of ‘portability standard’ (read: import-export interface).

To me it sounds like a call for one or more core interface formats to push content from one CMS platform to another.

If I remember XML and XSLT transformation right then a defined and expandable XML format can be used via an XSLT transformation (read: mapping data objects) to achieve data portability. In my understanding this is totally different from a DB export/report and a following data import.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#12 2008-09-12 16:18:05

merz1
Website

nsce “How’s that working? (I’m new to Textpattern)”

You can create a simple flatfile database of the standard content by creating an article form with the TXP template tags.

• But it starts to get complicated if you want to ex-/import the comments and automatically add them to the right articles.
  • Or if you have to map TXP keywords to WordPress categories (If you want to do that).
  • Or you decide to port one section to Drupal and another to Joomla.
  • Or a forum article into TXP and the whole thread as comments appended to the new TXP article.

The question is not ‘why you wanted to do so’ but ‘how to achieve that kind of portability’.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#13 2008-09-13 20:54:27

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

There is plugin for csv imports. So, we can make template\form where all article would be stored in csv format nicely :)

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#14 2008-09-23 07:12:36

n2ce

See this post from Drupal founder: CMIS
Seems we get a standard for exchanging data between CMS. Go, go, go!

Last edited by n2ce (2008-09-23 07:13:11)

#15 2008-09-23 12:22:21

merz1
Website

@n2ce: Thanks! The CMIS article is definitely a short must read in this context (many links).

#16 2008-09-27 06:16:26

wet
Developer
Website

merz1 wrote:

You can create a simple flatfile database of the standard content by creating an article form with the TXP template tags.

Nathan Pitman runs a series of posts just now which covers this concept in detail, relying on a method discovered by Jon Hicks.

#17 2010-09-23 23:44:10

lisionosk

So, how do you do this ? I have two Textpattern blogs each on their own domain. I would like to import the posts from both towards a new Textpattern install that is on a 3rd domain, which itself is on a new webserver. How can I do this ? I tried exporting the MySQL databases from phpMyAdmin but it didn’t appear to work. And the Textpattern interface doesn’t have an ‘export’ function, that I have seen. Also, in the ‘Import’ tab, the pulldown doesn’t even list Textpattern as a CMS.

I understand there is a manual way to do this, but I’m not techy…

#18 2010-09-24 00:51:04

jsoo
Developer
Website

lisionosk wrote:

So, how do you do this ? I have two Textpattern blogs each on their own domain…

Start by posting a new topic in an appropriate forum, most likely How Do I. You’re much more likely to get help that way.

Txp tags not doing what you expect? Learn to use a tag trace. And the Tag Reference.

Board footer