Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-09-23 09:14:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

[textile] Textile 2.2

Revision r3400 introduces a new version of Textile — the most significant advancement in its history since, uhhh, the last upgrade :-)

It fixes a slew of leftover bugs from 2.0 (some from even earlier!) and adds a tonne of new features or improvements, plus some performance enhancements. It’s been through rigorous testing both from a custom test framework to verify backwards compatibility and an army of beta testers who have all done a magnificent job in finding little niggles and pointing out additional features.

Now it’s your turn! Please consider trying it out.

As it stands we don’t have an official home for this version of Textile; Alex’s guide and test page on Thresholdstate are no longer current. We will have some more news on this presently and we’ll try and give Textile a proper long-term abode. For the time being, please visit Sitemonks for testing and bug reporting. There are packaged demo texts on the site for you to try out and become acquainted with the syntax. General comments can go in this thread.

This version would not have been possible were it not for the tireless work put in by Steve (net-carver). He is the hero of this release, from writing the custom testing framework and sitemonks engine that allowed Textile to be stressed to the limit, all the way through to implementing Destry’s notelist request that allows Wikipedia-style references to be automatically generated and maintained with minimal involvement from you. Please raise your glasses and tip hats to Steve’s amazing work.

Thank you again to all involved. We hope it serves everyone well.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2010-09-23 10:42:08

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [textile] Textile 2.2

It’s effin cool. I salute, I salute to you guys.

Good job Steve, Stef, testers and manhacks :-)

#3 2010-09-23 14:25:53

merz1
Website

For the time being, please visit Sitemonks for testing and bug reporting.

General comment: WOW!

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#4 2010-09-23 16:59:54

els

merz1 wrote:

General comment: WOW!

Yeah :) Any reason why it’s 2.2 and not 3? Don’t all these new features justify a higher jump?

#5 2010-09-23 17:17:12

maniqui
Website

Amazing job!
Thanks to Stef and Steve, and everyone involved in testing, reporting bugs and requesting features ;)

Are we allowed to begin tweeting the tweets about this? :D

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#6 2010-09-23 17:27:53

pieman
Website

Nice work Stef & Steve :-)

#7 2010-09-24 00:00:46

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Els wrote:

Yeah :) Any reason why it’s 2.2 and not 3? Don’t all these new features justify a higher jump?

I vote for version 9000.1. Over 9000!

#8 2010-09-24 22:24:49

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

The wait was definitely worth it!

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#9 2010-09-25 05:05:13

typeshige
Website

This is great!

Although I have switched to Python/Django for my big projects, I still use Textile.

One thing that Python does very well out-of-the-box is support for testing.

Shouldn’t there be a comprehensive “official” test document that covers all the use cases that people can run against their Textile interpreters? So far I have seen Textile implemented in Python and Ruby. There are probably others, it’ll be great if all of these can validate against a standard test. This would ensure the original PHP one stays honest too.

#10 2010-09-25 13:51:02

maniqui
Website

I think there is a test suite for the new Textile, but it seems it’s not published in the wild, yet.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#11 2010-09-25 14:48:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

typeshige

Yes there is a test suite which Steve wrote to allow us to regression-test Textile for backwards compatibilty. We set up lists of Textile tests and expected outcomes in the various genres and then ran the tests against the current build. Any output that doesn’t match the expected outcome is flagged so we can investigate.

Of course, this environment is only as good as the tests we can devise to stress it! Over the course of the last few months we’ve built up an extensive library of hardcore tests in various categories that really grill Textile and test as many functional corner cases as we could think of. As Textile development continues (more on this later) this test suite will be made available for the dev team to use and maintain test documents.

At the moment the only adapter is for classTextile.php but the framework is extensible (good old OO :-) so there is no reason it couldn’t be extended to stress test Textile ports or even other languages! As and when we find an official home for Textile we’ll see what we can do to make this environment available to third parties and porters.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-09-25 14:49:10)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2010-09-25 15:55:50

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

@typeshige

I hear you but I suspect that would take a significant amount of effort as then you’d be making textile a standard reference language with a set of conformance tests. Who will define the standard and say what is, and what is not, textile? If such a body existed then standard tests could indeed be written and individual implementations could then be certified vs the current version of the textile standard. Whilst this might not be a bad thing, it may hinder independent development of implementations whilst the teams behind them get with the programme — if they ever choose to.

@All

Textile isn’t the only dish on the lightweight-markup-language menu. Personally, I’d like to see Textpattern itself be a little more flexible about what lightweight markup it allows you to use in your articles (or even in pages and forms for that matter) but that’s another dream entirely.

Steve

Board footer