Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2010-08-10 11:03:47

keoshi

Re: [request] iPhone & Txp: a killer application

Hey guys,

I finally got a rought quote from the developer and they put it at around $4000.
Do you think it’s feasable? Mind you, this is using an FTP connection to upload images, since the developers have not yet replied to my emails about metaWeblog.newMediaObject

#62 2010-08-10 11:36:54

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

keoshi wrote:

I finally got a rought quote from the developer and they put it at around $4000.

Ouch. Should be possible to get it done cheaper than that.

If I recall correctly the Wordpress iPhone application is open source and uses RPC protocol, it could be a good starting point. I have an iOS development license & I might be willing to lend a hand too.

#63 2010-08-10 12:49:57

keoshi

graeme wrote:

Ouch. Should be possible to get it done cheaper than that.
If I recall correctly the Wordpress iPhone application is open source and uses RPC protocol, it could be a good starting point. I have an iOS development license & I might be willing to lend a hand too.

Yeah, thought so too. I’ve looked at WP code but Objective-C isn’t my thing at all. But I’m still waiting on a couple other quotes, I think I might have better news soon.
Maybe a colab with you, if you’re willing to do so.

Last edited by keoshi (2010-08-10 12:50:16)

#64 2010-08-11 12:18:16

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

keoshi wrote:

Maybe a colab with you, if you’re willing to do so.

I’ll help where I can but currently I don’t have much free time at all.

#65 2010-08-13 08:03:00

ryancecilsmith
Website

I have basically stopped blogging on my Textpattern site since buying an iPad, because other platforms (WORDPRESS) are so much more convenient to use on it. I just mean to say, I really wish there was an app for Txp! I would be happy to chip in if there was a kickstarter fund for it.

Do those quotes include making an app that is compatible for the iPad (aside from just doubling the pixels)? I personally like the idea but I don’t know if it matters to the masses.

#66 2010-08-13 12:39:43

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

Why don’t you just install this

#67 2010-08-13 13:57:58

ryancecilsmith
Website

Thanks for pointing that out – I noticed it when it was posted earlier, but my eyes kind of glazed over when I saw that I had to install stuff, and I assumed that it wouldn’t support image uploading, which is half of the problem.

But, I just actually read the description, and it’s actually pretty easy to install, so I’ll give it a shot. :)

(Also, again, maybe I’m the only one here who has an iPad, too?)

#68 2010-08-13 14:07:29

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

ryancecilsmith wrote:

(Also, again, maybe I’m the only one here who has an iPad, too?)

Nope, I’m working on the iPad version but your right, It won’t support image uploads in any mobile browser, you need an app for that.

There are ways around it (a very long way) by ftp’ing the image using something like ftp on the go and using FPX Image Import I’ll look at including the import styling on my next release.

Update

Here is a little video that i took just after uploading and importing to txp all on the iPad using ftp on the go. I’ve had to modify the css on txpmobile for it to work, but it does.

Last edited by oliverker (2010-08-13 19:28:55)

#69 2010-08-21 14:15:31

ryancecilsmith
Website

Just wanna say that you are awesome oliverker. Keep going! Thanks for your hard work!

#70 2010-08-24 15:48:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve got to commission an iOS developer in late 2010, early 2011 to make an app for a client’s website. Since they will be tapping into the site’s txp database anyway I wonder if I could get them to also adapt the current WordPress app for use on TXP as an extra project – depends on how much work was actually needed to do that. Also, as mentioned, the image uploading would have to be enabled by the txp devs or it is probably not worth doing.

Also, can anyone here recommend a good UK based app developer? I have made some inital approches to a couple of sources but have not settled on anyone yet.

Last edited by philwareham (2010-08-24 15:55:15)

#71 2010-08-24 16:17:11

mrtunes
Website

oliverker wrote:

There are ways around it (a very long way) by ftp’ing the image using something like ftp on the go and using FPX Image Import I’ll look at including the import styling on my next release.

what app do people recommend for resizing images on the iphone to fit the right dimensions of your blog? that might be easier than doing the ftp thing because you can just send it to twitpic or something and copy the link.

#72 2010-08-24 19:22:29

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

mrtunes wrote:

what app do people recommend for resizing images on the iphone to fit the right dimensions of your blog? that might be easier than doing the ftp thing because you can just send it to twitpic or something and copy the link.

You could send it to flickr as they auto size it and use the image size you wanted then use CSS for the precise size

Board footer