Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2010-06-01 15:04:33

ryancecilsmith
Website

Re: [request] iPhone & Txp: a killer application

Since the iPad just launched in Europe, I’m bumping this thread. I am just a regular user and I don’t know how difficult it is to do… but I would sure pay for an application for writing and uploading images on the iPad. Is anyone working on anything like this?

#38 2010-06-01 21:42:04

mrtunes
Website

bump away! i would love to be able to upload images to textpattern easier from my iphone too. as for writing – with the iPad i’m sure that the normal admin interface isn’t too bad on there though.

#39 2010-06-04 01:06:44

ryancecilsmith
Website

Yes, writing is fine, but uploading images isn’t. It’s also really nice the way the WordPress app keeps local drafts. But I guess Textpattern devs are already aware of this. If it’s as “easy” as “just” rewriting the Wordpress app, then I’m surprised that it hasn’t been done already. Perhaps the userbase of Wordpress is exponentially larger.

Last edited by ryancecilsmith (2010-06-04 01:07:01)

#40 2010-06-17 18:46:23

babyben

That’s the bit that’s really pulling me towards using WP for an uncoming project – the ability to add images quickly and easily using a iPhone or Android app (a client specific request).

I don’t want to move away from TXP, but this worries me (slightly) that with new technologies and platforms coming forward will TXP stand at this current point, or will it be able to roll forward. Maybe with the next ‘big’ release it’ll quash those fears.

#41 2010-06-17 20:36:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

babyben wrote:

I don’t want to move away from TXP, but this worries me (slightly) that with new technologies and platforms coming forward will TXP stand at this current point, or will it be able to roll forward. Maybe with the next ‘big’ release it’ll quash those fears.

Ben, I don’t see core developers officially supporting any kind of desktop application for any operating system. Which is (IMHO) a good thing, I do want them to stick in the actual developing than some fancy pancy client. Because of the open source nature, anyone can create an client for TXP if someone wants to. Too bad that the userbase might be too small.

What comes to an app, it’s not that hard to make one, that is if we count the standard webdesk applications as real applications. The application might just be a webpage (browser) with CSS and custom JavaScript that does things at the background. It’s just like making an webpage, difference is that it runs in seperate process.

Altho, you don’t probably even need an application. With a small TXP plugin that provides uploading from the write panel, and some CSS you can create really easy to use “application” for mobile devices. As long as the device’s browser supports uploading files.

Altho, you probably also need to redo a simpler article list with a plugin and the write panel’s tables are not that great either. The table with controls and such isn’t that pretty on small screen.

Personally I use the the default interface and Remore theme with slight change. I did change the hover menus into click and open. It’s not really that easy to hover without mouse.

#42 2010-07-23 01:32:12

keoshi

Would be adding metaWeblog.newMediaObject to the XML-RPC server such a difficult thing?
Mind you, I’m being completely honest. That would solve a big problem for many users.

Last edited by keoshi (2010-07-23 01:33:07)

#43 2010-07-23 11:53:03

babyben

Ben, I don’t see core developers officially supporting any kind of desktop application for any operating system. Which is (IMHO) a good thing, I do want them to stick in the actual developing than some fancy pancy client. Because of the open source nature, anyone can create an client for TXP if someone wants to. Too bad that the userbase might be too small.

I agree that concentrating on the core is (obviously) important, but surely looking to other devices, platforms and other ways to make TXP better for developers/client is important. I’m unkeen on the attitude that “we’ll tell you what you need, or don’t need”. Maybe some people want/need “fancy pancy”, and if they can’t get the requirements needed from a CMS like TXP – they will look elsewhere. Surely a growing userbase is a good thing?

For example, if TXP did custom fields better it would be in a much stronger place (in my opinion). Even though the custom-fields plugin is doing an awesome job – could TXP potentially be missing a trick in a few areas?

My worry for the future is that TXP doesn’t evolve quick enough and other CMS’s are able to drop in and fit the bill better.

Last edited by babyben (2010-07-23 11:54:31)

#44 2010-07-23 13:38:30

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

Guys, Im on it TXP Mobile or visit the thread

@babyben – Did you get it to work in the end?

#45 2010-07-23 15:24:06

keoshi

oliverker wrote:

Guys, Im on it TXP Mobile or visit the thread

That’s exactly what brought me here, your TXP Mobile is excellent, but I’m still missing image uploading — I’d be more than happy just with that added on top.
Of course the iPhone, for example, doesn’t support file uploading (as far I as I know), but still…

Last edited by keoshi (2010-07-23 15:26:52)

#46 2010-07-23 15:27:30

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

keoshi wrote:

oliverker wrote:
Of course the iPhone, for example, doesn’t support file uploading (as far I as I know), but still…

Your right, you can not upload in the browser, it needs to be an app of some sort… Way beyond my technical knowledge.

#47 2010-07-23 15:32:51

keoshi

I would pay for someone to develop an app for TXP. That’d be like a dream come true…
But that’s why I asked for metaWeblog.newMediaObject in the first place.

#48 2010-07-23 21:47:37

babyben

oliverker wrote:

Guys, Im on it TXP Mobile or visit the thread @babyben – Did you get it to work in the end?

I’m really excited by the TXP Mobile – can’t wait to use it properly, I know of another client who loves the idea of sitting on the train blogging on his iPhone, well, once he figures out how to use his phone! ;-)

I’m hoping to get a chance to play with it tomorrow – haven’t got it working yet, the hour I had this morning to try it… the server was down or playing up! Argh!

Edit: wouldn’t mind know a wee bit about the “metaWeblog.newMediaObject” idea…

Last edited by babyben (2010-07-23 21:50:09)

Board footer