Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-01-26 20:55:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [request] Request for plugin to install multiple plugins at once

rathersplendid wrote:

There must be a more user-friendly to achieve this, it would be nice to have a solution that even TXP novices can use.

How novice is ‘novice’? Said novice users might not need all the plugins in a pack so would end up with cruft in their system.

For true novices, I’d advise to install the plugins they find themselves needing to achieve something.

For power users such as yourself who install stuff time and again and want a baseline to begin all your installs from, dump txp_plugins (and any associated prefs/plugin tables) then upload that, or keep a directory of oft-used plugins / templates / forms / styles / etc and bung them in the database or cut n paste the text.

Alternatively, I’m not sure how far hgc_templates goes (does it package up plugins too?) but that might be another option to create your own personal baseline. It’s probably more user friendly than the manual methods outlined above, too, but I’ve never used it so I don’t know for sure.

EDIT: jsoo beat me to it!

Last edited by Bloke (2010-01-26 20:57:09)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2010-01-26 21:01:27

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Alternatively, I’m not sure how far hgc_templates goes (does it package up plugins too?) but that might be another option to create your own personal baseline.

It does not currently but templates often require certain plugins.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#15 2010-01-26 21:55:22

jstubbs
Website

mem_templates allows for plugin imports. I would think a DB dump is the easiest way for quick installs of plugins. Its a matter of a few seconds in phpMyAdmin.

#16 2010-01-26 21:56:54

masa

Regarding novices/advanced users I agree with Jeff and Stef: a dump of txp_plugins is a no-brainer and massive time saver for the latter, while real novices would probably be better off with installing plugins one by one based on their actual requirements to keep things simple.

#17 2010-01-26 22:00:47

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

My reasons for suggesting this are to help speed up development time for me but to also make Textpattern more accessible to newer users. I would really like Textpattern to become more popular and one of the features I admire in Wordpress is how well it handles plugins; I’m not suggesting a system like Wordpress because it’s such a radical change but at least a nod in that direction.

I had not realised I could dump the plugin db so I will try that in the future.

Last edited by rathersplendid (2010-01-27 08:31:19)

Admin Themes Prometheus | Stung | <txp:coder/
My Portfolio | ɹǝpuɐz.com | @MrMartineau
<txp:coder /> – Convert your designs into Textpattern-based websites
jQuery Style | @jquerystyle

#18 2010-03-10 17:59:22

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

Hi

If plugins add a column or table to the dB, dumping the table or using mem_templates won’t install these properly. Or am I wrong?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

#19 2010-03-10 18:42:40

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

geoff777 wrote:

If plugins add a column or table to the dB, dumping the table or using mem_templates won’t install these properly. Or am I wrong?

That’s right. Same goes for any prefs installed by plugins.

Code is topiary

#20 2010-03-11 11:16:04

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

I think it’s possible to make such plugin – i had some hard-coded decisions which installed plugins from files. You put desired files in the directory, press “OK” and all plugins are get installed. Do you think such plugin is worth to be donated?

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#21 2010-03-11 19:00:02

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

We’ve been experimenting with the Drupal Features module at work; it’s incredibly useful for redeploying common components that we tend to use for a number of our clients. I’m wondering if there are some useful ideas in there for applying to this requested Textpattern functionality?

Board footer